Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Juronger

Diy Wall Clock

hi I am interested too. Pls PM me.

To all who have contacted me earlier either through PM or email,

My sincere apology for the delay as I just returned from overseas and would need some time to settle. I am deeply sorry for the delay and any inconvenience caused. Hope you all can give me some time to settle down and to got get the necessary materials (provided I can still find them).

Will get in touch with u all once I am ready. Thank you and appreciate all your patience.

Regards

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Juronger, do you need to drill holes on the wall to make this clock? Do you just glue those roman alphabets onto the wall? I want something that will not cause permanent damage to the wall in case I change my mind and want to make use of the wall for something else, scare to go thru the hassle of repainting and filling up the holes later :disturb: Thanks.

Hi Juronger, do you need to drill holes on the wall to make this clock? Do you just glue those roman alphabets onto the wall? I want something that will not cause permanent damage to the wall in case I change my mind and want to make use of the wall for something else, scare to go thru the hassle of repainting and filling up the holes later :P Thanks.

Hi, you dun need to drill hole, just need to glue all the items. Hope this helps.

Regards

Hi all,

Due to heavy work commitment, I sincerely apologise to all who have expressed interest in getting the clock from me but I just couldn't find time to do it in the last few months. So I have decided to share the trick on how to DIY it yourself, so that for those who are still interested, instead of keep waiting for me (I really feel very bad about it), you can try it out yourself if you are keen.

Steps to DIY your own wallclock

Step 1: Get yourself a normal wall clock and open it up. It is quite easy to dismantle the clock. Essentially you only need the centre core unit that runs the clock hands. Take out that unit and the clock hands.

Step 2: Go to stationery shop and purchase a type of styrofoam board. It's not the usual "soft" type that we see normally, it rather compact and firm type. The thickness is usually about 5mm or less, and it is the type that many advertisement or marketing company use to make presentation board. (I actually got my inspiration from here cos I use quite a bit of these board in my work.)

Step 3: Cut out the length of the clock hands that you want. Width of the clock hands will have to follow original clock hands respectively. Note here: You have to pay special note to the thickness of the hour hand cos the hour hand is always below while the minute hand is always on top. So you have to make sure that the hour hand is not so thick that it "crosses" the space in between the 2 hands. If the styrofoam cardbaord is too thick, use an alternative thinner cardboard (which tends to be heavier) to do the hour hand instead. This is ok for the hour hand eventhough card board is usually heavier cos in the clock mechanism, the hour hand is "stronger" so it can take slightly heavier load. But for the minute hand, you definitely need the styrofoam board or something very light cos minute hand is quite "weak", so if you use something too heavy, the hand can come down but it can't go up.

Step 4: Paste the clock hands extension that you have cut out to the original clock hand using double sided tape. Once that is done, you can now assemble the clock centre unit with the clock hands. Use 3M double sided tape to glue the centre unit to the wall and your clock mechanism is done. (Note: You may notice that you need to keep replacing the double sided tape when you change battery cos the battery holder is at the back of the centre unit. So for this, you may devise a "holder" to hold you clock centre unit if you have time.)

Step 5: Finally, the numbers. In fact, this is the easiest part. Just need to use a black cardboard or even just black paper and cut out the numbers (need not be Roman numbers, it can be of any design that you like) as you like. Paste them on the wall using 3M double sided tape in any manner that you like, you can even paste them in very artistic manner if you like or there are even people who just left the rest of the wall blank. And you are done!

Note: Because of the "heavy" duty that the clock is performing cos of the extra weight, you will notice that the clock runs out of battery faster than the normal clock. Battery runs out like every 3 - 4 months compare to normal clock which can last up to a year.

I really hope this is useful and I promise I will get back to all who have contacted me when my work slows down and I have some time to spare. By then if you still need help, I am more than willing to share. When I can find some time, I will see if I can provide some photos as illustration for the steps above.

Edited by Juronger

For all DIY clock lovers :notti:

just found a great place to buy DIY wall clock. That shop sells wall decals too.

Located at somewhere in Suntec level 3. I dont know exactly which tower is it.

Hi Juronger,

I tried 'my version' of the well clock made by you with some changes.

1) i used 1/16" thick balsa wood strip for carving my minute and Hour Hands.

2) Numbers- Bought from 'Art friend' and painted with water based Black acrylic paint.

3) Using the old 'Wall clock Movement'

My Clock is going slower may be because of heavy weight of the hands or... may be because of the old 'wall clock Movement'

It's working fine today. Even i do not know what made it to work well :paint:

Here is the photo.

IMG_0066.jpg

Edited by ashomech