• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 loli

loli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:23 AM

we are looking for nice ceiling fans for our new home. can anyone suggest a good retailer where we can find great variety at a good price? any reliable brands to recommend?

thanks in advance.

#2 yokine9a

yokine9a

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:01 PM

I am also thinking of getting ceiling fans for my house, but was told that ceiling fan is bad in FS for bedroom. So, kind of hesitating now.

Are you getting ceiling fans for your whole house?

#3 loli

loli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (yokine9a @ May 14 2008, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am also thinking of getting ceiling fans for my house, but was told that ceiling fan is bad in FS for bedroom. So, kind of hesitating now.

Are you getting ceiling fans for your whole house?

thinking of installing them in all bedrooms except for the living room cos my ID said it would "lower" the interior design.

#4 hobbes187

hobbes187

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:16 PM

I got mine from Royal Fanco in Jalan Besar. There're many sops there selling fans...

#5 yokine9a

yokine9a

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:23 PM

You mean the ceiling fan will make your living room looks cheapo?

I have seen pics of expensive n nice looking, simple n classic looking ceiling fans. They don't always make your interior design looks cheapo. Maybe you should challenge your ID to design your living room in such a way that a ceiling fan will add extra favour to the theme notti.gif

Anyway, from what I know, KDK is a reliable brand. But they have limited choice for low ceiling fans. Also, their fans don't have light kit.

And yes, Jalan Besar is a good place to shop for ceiling fans. Plan to go there too if I still want to have ceiling fans for my bedrooms.

#6 MeToo

MeToo

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:27 PM

Juz wish to share my bying of ceiling fans ..... smile.gif

Shop : Palace of Lights, Balestier Road (After going thru many shops in Balestier rd and Jln besar, I finally zeroed in 2 shops, One is Palace of lights and another Tai yong at jln Besar). Choose POL becos of more show space, more varieties, they sell Elmark, Fanco, Amasco and Crester brands and friendly service. Tai Yong salesmen couldnt answer my few simple questions abt height requirement.

Serviced by : First visit by Steven (First visit juz to see), Buying visit by Kelvin.

Bought what : 2 - 60" Elmark fan with 3 lights and silver color string light cover. Each costs 270$ after bargain. (Initially told 230 for fan + 65 for lights. Came down to 280. Then agreed for 270). These 2 fans are for my living.

3 - 52" Fanco fan with 3 lights and Black color string light cover. Each costs 240$ after bargain. (Initially told 260. Came down to 250. Then agreed for 240). These 3 fans are for my rooms.

2 - Amasco Fan regulators. Each 35$

Installation for each fan 35$. Installation and additional wiring for each regulator 35$.

Total : 1575 $.

thumbsup.gif

Salesman said he's giving the best price (as they used to say) when I bargained more.

Do you think price ok or more or less ?????

Edited by MeToo, 14 May 2008 - 05:30 PM.

#7 loli

loli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (MeToo @ May 14 2008, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shop : Palace of Lights, Balestier Road (After going thru many shops in Balestier rd and Jln besar, I finally zeroed in 2 shops, One is Palace of lights and another Tai yong at jln Besar). Choose POL becos of more show space, more varieties, they sell Elmark, Fanco, Amasco and Crester brands and friendly service. Tai Yong salesmen couldnt answer my few simple questions abt height requirement.

Serviced by : First visit by Steven (First visit juz to see), Buying visit by Kelvin.

Bought what : 2 - 60" Elmark fan with 3 lights and silver color string light cover. Each costs 270$ after bargain. (Initially told 230 for fan + 65 for lights. Came down to 280. Then agreed for 270). These 2 fans are for my living.

3 - 52" Fanco fan with 3 lights and Black color string light cover. Each costs 240$ after bargain. (Initially told 260. Came down to 250. Then agreed for 240). These 3 fans are for my rooms.

Installation for each fan 35$. Installation and additional wiring for each regulator 35$.

thumbsup.gif

Salesman said he's giving the best price (as they used to say) when I bargained more.

thanks for sharing.

the price seems ok to me. will check out palace of lights. me personally prefer Elmark cos the motor seems better compared to Amasco based on my experiene with the existing fans I have in my current house. Amasco's motor seems to weakened after some time. Just to let you know, my Amasco fan's speed 1 is creeping slow and speed 2 is too fast, whereas the difference in Elmark's speed 1,2 and 3 are more consistent. Maybe not all Amasco is like that, but becos of my personal experience, i prefer not to buy Amasco again.

while i know regulators are chargeable, i tot ceiling fans come with free installation? i dun remember paying any installation fees previously leh...

QUOTE (yokine9a @ May 14 2008, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You mean the ceiling fan will make your living room looks cheapo?

I have seen pics of expensive n nice looking, simple n classic looking ceiling fans. They don't always make your interior design looks cheapo. Maybe you should challenge your ID to design your living room in such a way that a ceiling fan will add extra favour to the theme notti.gif

Anyway, from what I know, KDK is a reliable brand. But they have limited choice for low ceiling fans. Also, their fans don't have light kit.

And yes, Jalan Besar is a good place to shop for ceiling fans. Plan to go there too if I still want to have ceiling fans for my bedrooms.

that's what i think my ID thinks lah. But I think I have to agree with him somewhat, as I also noticed most of the nice ID pictures I saw in ID mags usually do not have ceiling fans. Anyway, since we are going to pay so much for ID, guess we will pass the ceiling fans for the sake of beauty.

We like Kdk too for its quiet and reliable motor. Really pity about the limited designs...

#8 hobbes187

hobbes187

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:10 PM

KDK design not really nice... Look like those primary school classrooms lei...

I ended choosing between Fanco and Crestar. The fanco one I wanted is out of stock almost everywhere so in the end got a crestar 54" + regulator. Think it cost me $220.

#9 loli

loli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (hobbes187 @ May 14 2008, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I ended choosing between Fanco and Crestar. The fanco one I wanted is out of stock almost everywhere so in the end got a crestar 54" + regulator. Think it cost me $220.

yeah.. they look very basic.

how are fanco and crestar? have you used these brands before? are these made in Taiwan too?

#10 MeToo

MeToo

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:02 PM

Maybe not all Amasco is like that, but becos of my personal experience, i prefer not to buy Amasco again.

Thanks. I din buy Amasco, except the regulators. Think regulators no prob.

while i know regulators are chargeable, i tot ceiling fans come with free installation? i dun remember paying any installation fees previously leh...

Isst??? I've asked salesman at palace of lights and he told no concept of free installation. If some shops offer, then the cost may be hidden in the fan.

Others, Please share your exp.

how are fanco and crestar? have you used these brands before? are these made in Taiwan too?

Fanco and crester have limited models unlike Elmark. I was told dat crester costs more because of design elegance and simplicity. Me din like design of Crester.

#11 loli

loli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (MeToo @ May 15 2008, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks. I din buy Amasco, except the regulators. Think regulators no prob.
Isst??? I've asked salesman at palace of lights and he told no concept of free installation. If some shops offer, then the cost may be hidden in the fan.

Others, Please share your exp.
Fanco and crester have limited models unlike Elmark. I was told dat crester costs more because of design elegance and simplicity. Me din like design of Crester.

I am not sure if the installation fee was included in the price. We paid $258 for a Elmark fan. Chances are I dun think it includes the installation fee since the price is considered low. But then again, we could have gotten the electrician who did our wiring to do the installaion. Can't be clear about this as it is 5 years ago liao...

#12 loli

loli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (MeToo @ May 14 2008, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thumbsup.gif

Hi MeToo,

Just to share...

I have just bot my ceiling fans today from Brigtht House Lighting located at AMK Blk 712 ( I found out about this shop thru a flyer in my mailbox).

The items are:
1 x 42" KDK (comes with remote control and w/o lighting) @ $248
2 x 52" Elmark (lastest model with acrylic blades, and without lighting kit) @ $288
Total I have paid after disc is $800, with Free Installation, and GST waived!

I supposed I am getting an ok deal here, although it is not as good as yours. smile.gif

Edited by loli, 16 May 2008 - 11:53 PM.

#13 ene

ene

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:39 PM

I've had a ceiling fan in my room and living room for TEN years and nothing horrible has befallen me yet.

thinking of installing them in all bedrooms except for the living room cos my ID said it would "lower" the interior design.

A lot of IDs say that but you have to think about it - is it your home or a showflat? We live in Singapore. It WILL be hot and humid. If you do not install a fan just so that you don't want to "lower" the ID look (which is a whole lot of BS anyway), that's quite silly, isn't it? And as mentioned by yokine9a, there are lots of fans out there who look nice. If you don't want to spoil the look, use a PLAIN WHITE SIMPLE fan with no lights, etc. It will just blend into the white ceiling. My point is, don't be swayed by what your ID tells you because ultimately, it is YOUR house and YOU have to make that decision. They can only advise.

#14 ezennhewitt

ezennhewitt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE (hobbes187 @ May 14 2008, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HI,

Can i know where did you buy your crestar fan? $200 with regulator is a good deal. Can you pm your contact? What is the model you have bought? Email: Hendrixliang@hotmail.com

#15 mwerkz

mwerkz

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (loli @ May 14 2008, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah.. they look very basic.

basic oso very nice leh. de cheapest thing i wanna get for my house have gotto be this old sch fan:

so clean n sleek dancingqueen.gif

#16 dolcevita

dolcevita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:13 PM

hiya,

am shopping ard for ceiling fans... so many brands...

if i'm looking at a usa-made or european made, is the price diff huge?
didnt know KDK had ceiling fans...where can I find them?...and also, does Mistral sell ceiling fans too?
thanks a lot... yamseng.gif

#17 aze06

aze06

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:34 AM

I'm shopping for ceiling fans too.
Am considering getting KDK ceiling fans from M'sia and have contractor install it for me.
www.kdk.com.my
Prices are stated there too!

Anyone here done this before?

#18 yokine9a

yokine9a

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:13 AM

What abt warranty? Can you get local KDK agency to fix your problem if there is any in future?

#19 chixchix

chixchix

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:19 AM

My home previous owner fixed this Fan Cum Lights from AMASCO... When you need the fan ,the blades open up like flower patterns, but you can also use the light.initially when you look at the wall mounted light, you will not know its a fan. Why not look at the website, I find it hard to describe.

#20 Hseeker

Hseeker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:55 AM

I got the crestar acrylic blade from Chan Huat. The fan is goody.. super power...

I was told Crestar regular and fan quite good. For the best place to get fan, I thought Chan Huat one quite reasonable.

#21 sepultura

sepultura

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:55 PM

To share my Amasco experience - 2 fans installed in bedrooms in oct 2007. One fan failed two times and needed repair. Second fan speeds going crazy slow since last month - tech was supposed to come home today but never turned up. Will most likely replace it with another brand. Amasco does seem to have a lot of quality issues, not to mention very poor service. I don't trust them any more.
QUOTE (loli @ May 14 2008, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
me personally prefer Elmark cos the motor seems better compared to Amasco based on my experiene with the existing fans I have in my current house. Amasco's motor seems to weakened after some time. Just to let you know, my Amasco fan's speed 1 is creeping slow and speed 2 is too fast, whereas the difference in Elmark's speed 1,2 and 3 are more consistent. Maybe not all Amasco is like that, but becos of my personal experience, i prefer not to buy Amasco again.

Edited by sepultura, 19 September 2008 - 04:06 PM.

#22 ilove6969

ilove6969

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:01 PM

Deleted .............

Edited by ilove6969, 26 September 2008 - 08:38 AM.

#23 casgy

casgy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (sepultura @ Sep 19 2008, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To share my Amasco experience - 2 fans installed in bedrooms in oct 2007. One fan failed two times and needed repair. Second fan speeds going crazy slow since last month - tech was supposed to come home today but never turned up. Will most likely replace it with another brand. Amasco does seem to have a lot of quality issues, not to mention very poor service. I don't trust them any more.

Have similar experience with Amasco, bought 2 fans installed in bedrooms. One of them produced noise since day one. They replaced it in the following week with a new one but failed to install back my lightkit. The service person really cmi. Eventually, I had to pay someone else to do the job. After few months, the replaced fan starts to giving slow speed with max speed setting. *sigh*

Edited by casgy, 25 September 2008 - 01:29 PM.

#24 sepultura

sepultura

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:15 PM

Hmmm... looks like the only Amasco product worth getting is the regulator (nothing much can go wrong anyway) - it's been working fine with my living room fan for some years now.

QUOTE (casgy @ Sep 25 2008, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have similar experience with Amasco, bought 2 fans installed in bedrooms. One of them produced noise since day one. They replaced it in the following week with a new one but failed to install back my lightkit. The service person really cmi. Eventually, I had to pay someone else to do the job. After few months, the replaced fan starts to giving slow speed with max speed setting. *sigh*

#25 h4happy

h4happy

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:24 PM

Curently using super casa...bought from PDF (jalan besar, near poh Joo)..Dont like the after sales services.

My mum asked him she wants amasco, but was given super casa! And we actually thought that it is from amasco.

1) regulator spoilt.
2) Bring down and get a new one.
3) Spoilt again!!!! The staff over there like beng type.
4) Fan got sound, call them and want to charge us $40 transport fees!!!!

In the end, ask my id to check for me. Now no sound. Ok. Save $40. My ceiling fan casting (for lights) change colour! They gave me initmation! Horror! What to do? Move on....Wait it spoilt again, then change into new one. And feel like being chop also! Each ceiling fan cost over $450 and was told that it is imported directly from US.

Remember, PDF ...dont go there! I regret going there in the first place!!!! Treat this as a lesson!

Home Planner

Renovator: Renovation Budget: