Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
KayLan

Where To Buy Woods, Timber, Planks, Plywoods, Laminated Sheets

I was planning to build some simple wooden racks for my store room. Asked for few quotations and all are more than $400+. I just wanted to have simple four level U shape racks for all the three walls, except the door wall.

So finally decided to DIY. First question was, where to buy woods, the major material... here are my discoveries that may help fellow DIYer

IKEA - Tampines has different sizes and different materials. Prices ranges from $19 to $59 per planks. It appeared very expensive to me.

Defu Avenue 1 - There are many carpentry shops, at the middle of Avenue 1. They can customise your requirements. Prices are reasonable, much cheaper than IKEA.

Sungei Kadut - The carpentry shops just opposite to Novina show room. Can customise as per your requirement and can arrange transport to your home at a nominal cost ($20). For me, it was the cheapest, I purchased all my required woods from them for my store room rack at $160 including transport to my house.

Hope this info helps all those who are looking forward to purchase timber/wood.

Just to add, I purchased the other tools, including a B&D drill($69), additional Bits($20), Saw, Chisel, File, level, T, hammer and other tools, all with in $140.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Wah..planning to work as contractor cum carpenter when you retire or out of job...hehe

Forgot your toolbox??

BTW, does the customisation includes laminating?? or just a bare plank of wOOd... thanks..

Wah..planning to work as contractor cum carpenter when you retire or out of job...hehe

Forgot your toolbox??

BTW, does the customisation includes laminating?? or just a bare plank of wOOd... thanks..

He he...who know, economy is bad mah!! :sport-smiley-003:

alredi purchased entire toolbox, I mean toys for big kids... burned around $140

Planks are laminated on one side, I am planning to add a coat of paints also

He he...who know, economy is bad mah!! :sport-smiley-003:

alredi purchased entire toolbox, I mean toys for big kids... burned around $140

Planks are laminated on one side, I am planning to add a coat of paints also

Get a pce of unwanted plywood, paint & see for yourself what u get.

U use emulsion, a get powdery ply after the water absorbed by the plywood.

U use solvent base paint, u get very bad finishing

U use solvent paint on the white PVC, u get ....... try yourself.

U should get DPVC ply and get the white colour pvc edging to have a complete finishing.

If i need more lamination,

could the factory do for me as well??

i am planning to do up my own Feature wall...

Since my ID charge me like 3k for a 10ft wall !!!!!!!

Just need some very big "wooden boxes" to put my TV inside thats all .....

I was planning to build some simple wooden racks for my store room. Asked for few quotations and all are more than $400+. I just wanted to have simple four level U shape racks for all the three walls, except the door wall.

So finally decided to DIY. First question was, where to buy woods, the major material... here are my discoveries that may help fellow DIYer

IKEA - Tampines has different sizes and different materials. Prices ranges from $19 to $59 per planks. It appeared very expensive to me.

Defu Avenue 1 - There are many carpentry shops, at the middle of Avenue 1. They can customise your requirements. Prices are reasonable, much cheaper than IKEA.

Sungei Kadut - The carpentry shops just opposite to Novina show room. Can customise as per your requirement and can arrange transport to your home at a nominal cost ($20). For me, it was the cheapest, I purchased all my required woods from them for my store room rack at $160 including transport to my house.

Hope this info helps all those who are looking forward to purchase timber/wood.

Just to add, I purchased the other tools, including a B&D drill($69), additional Bits($20), Saw, Chisel, File, level, T, hammer and other tools, all with in $140.

You could try another shop in Defu (Yee Heng Teak Products). I think its at Defu Lane 10, Blk 7. Apart from Teak, they do supply other types of wood, and are able to cut into the required size you need. Hope this info helps

You could try another shop in Defu (Yee Heng Teak Products). I think its at Defu Lane 10, Blk 7. Apart from Teak, they do supply other types of wood, and are able to cut into the required size you need. Hope this info helps

went there ... since they only have hardwood and real solid wood. the width is limited. If need anything beyond 10", will need to glue together.

Initially place my required dimension there, but they also very busy and forgotten about my order (over 12 to 16 pieces) thus I switch working on plywood. I got my ply from Ban Heng Long Trading at Syed Alwi Road... nice chap there to help your requirement. Place order today, I got it tomorrow.

They also now sell Laminates and ply with white backing... Laminates need to order before hand.

I got my laminates from formica - Sales Office at Sim Avenue but ware house at 2B Sungei Kadut Drive. Place order at Sim Avenue and get your stuff at their warehouse immediate. I went over to their sale office to look at the colors of the laminates. very wide range to choose from.

I was checking out the teak wood is actually quite expensive at defu lane. If you really need alot and on a budget, i managed to get hold of a contact from gul drive or gul circle, a factory that is doing supply to all shops in Singapore from my colleague. I will be calling to enquire and try to put up the price here. The teak wood sold at defu is about $65000 per tonne then they will work out slowly the cost of ur wood. like divide by 72000 then multiply by your feet and size. haha. that what my colleague who was in renovation line told me. so he said you bypass the middle man, will be alot cheaper. Will call and update everyone

I was checking out the teak wood is actually quite expensive at defu lane. If you really need alot and on a budget, i managed to get hold of a contact from gul drive or gul circle, a factory that is doing supply to all shops in Singapore from my colleague. I will be calling to enquire and try to put up the price here. The teak wood sold at defu is about $65000 per tonne then they will work out slowly the cost of ur wood. like divide by 72000 then multiply by your feet and size. haha. that what my colleague who was in renovation line told me. so he said you bypass the middle man, will be alot cheaper. Will call and update everyone

do let me know as i am intending to renovate my place...

went there ... since they only have hardwood and real solid wood. the width is limited. If need anything beyond 10", will need to glue together.

Initially place my required dimension there, but they also very busy and forgotten about my order (over 12 to 16 pieces) thus I switch working on plywood. I got my ply from Ban Heng Long Trading at Syed Alwi Road... nice chap there to help your requirement. Place order today, I got it tomorrow.

They also now sell Laminates and ply with white backing... Laminates need to order before hand.

I got my laminates from formica - Sales Office at Sim Avenue but ware house at 2B Sungei Kadut Drive. Place order at Sim Avenue and get your stuff at their warehouse immediate. I went over to their sale office to look at the colors of the laminates. very wide range to choose from.

hi lorddraco

thx for ban heng long adress, got all the plywood i needed from there

Just finish one of my project using ply and formica high-pressure laminate. Not easy working with laminate and my first time.

Definitely requires a lot more time working on it, cutting straight without cracks and edge trimming is most challenging. Now appreciate my previous contractor more :)

Now working on my 2nd project (larger scale) with laminate also. Got a hang of handling laminate, more satisfied with my work versus first one.

I check with Ban Heng leong. I think for a small sum, they also help basic assembly into box or etc. Not complex assembly tot.

Another note in working with ply and timber merchant is using inch/foot instead of metric measurement will get you more accurate cuts. Previously wood working with metric get me very inaccurate cuts.

Initially tot of going to Jurong East Hiap Heng for timber ... check they side, they really have loads of variety but they using a non-bench type saw so I am afraid that the longer piece of ply or timber will not be as straight as I wanted and lenght/width may not be as accurate.

Any one have good experience in their cutting?

The best thing you can do is to canvass first to see all the prices and the quality of there products..

------------------

Concrete Repair

I do admit that the quality of ply from Ban Heng leong is not as consistent as I wanted. The many piece of cut I got, some is really nice and good quality. Some is really not as good and I have to use wood putty to fill up gaps before sticking with laminate.

:)

Just finish one of my project using ply and formica high-pressure laminate. Not easy working with laminate and my first time.

Definitely requires a lot more time working on it, cutting straight without cracks and edge trimming is most challenging. Now appreciate my previous contractor more :)

Now working on my 2nd project (larger scale) with laminate also. Got a hang of handling laminate, more satisfied with my work versus first one.

I check with Ban Heng leong. I think for a small sum, they also help basic assembly into box or etc. Not complex assembly tot.

Another note in working with ply and timber merchant is using inch/foot instead of metric measurement will get you more accurate cuts. Previously wood working with metric get me very inaccurate cuts.

Initially tot of going to Jurong East Hiap Heng for timber ... check they side, they really have loads of variety but they using a non-bench type saw so I am afraid that the longer piece of ply or timber will not be as straight as I wanted and lenght/width may not be as accurate.

Any one have good experience in their cutting?

Hi,

where do you get the formica high-pressure laminate from? roughly how is the cost like?

I am currently upgrading my kitchen cabinet doors myself... remove everything, cleaning, re-spray and add aluminium angle profile all round, new hinges. A bit tough initially especially cutting and framing the aluminium... now getting faster...

Inevitably I will knock the new paint off. Thinking of using laminate sheets instead of painting...

Thanks

Hi,

where do you get the formica high-pressure laminate from? roughly how is the cost like?

I am currently upgrading my kitchen cabinet doors myself... remove everything, cleaning, re-spray and add aluminium angle profile all round, new hinges. A bit tough initially especially cutting and framing the aluminium... now getting faster...

Inevitably I will knock the new paint off. Thinking of using laminate sheets instead of painting...

Thanks

Hi Hi ... woah .. your project is so big!!! I got formica directly from Formica. I pm you their contact. (Their webby is www.formica.com.sg)

Price is 48 before GST (51 plus after GST). Size of the Laminate is 4 ft x 8ft where they will roll it up for you.

FYI for first timer working on laminiate - If working on laminate, I recommend to get a Giken A-650 Cutter with Tungsten Carbide Tipped Edges or alternative. The HPL is thick and not easy to cut. I figure out a while to know how to cut it. Note that the cutter also can cut floor title, so I use a unwanted wood underneath the laminates while I cut. A trimmer (Makita cheaper.. I think also got even cheaper china brand trimmer) with flush self routing straight routing bit to trim the edge. My first project workmanship not so nice.. but after some trial and error, I learn. :)

Below is a good site that I start my learning.. Dowel wooden rod is good to align the laminate before sticking it. http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/formica.html

BTW .. where you get the aluminium angle ???

Edited by lorddraco