Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Hi all

I'm totally clueless about renovation stuff, so would appreciate all the help I can get. Because I'd like to help my husband out and provide him with some useful suggestions and advise rather than "I don't know" or let him do all the work. :(

I'm not clear of all the technical terms, so please bear with my stupidity and my layman terms! :( I only know these info, feel free to ask me if you feel you can help me out! :)

The house that we're aiming (currently the agents are discussing to close the deal, but even if in the end need to look for new flat, well, just take it we're getting a headstart in finding renovation first, because according to my husband, he wants to find a resale flat which will need total renovation.) will need to:

1) Do tiling for whole house (or maybe just kitchen, toilet, depending on budget)

2) Renovate toilet (as in toiletbowl, sink, heater etc, need to install new ones)

3) Windows (need to install new ones)

4) Doors (need to install new ones)

5) Hacking (like tiles/walls)

6) Renovate kitchen

7) Install lighting, fans

8) Laying of cable/electrical cable

I think so far that's it. Heh.

How do you suggest we go about renovating the house? Or what other advise do you think I'll need? I've read through some forum posts/topics, and seems like people go to contractors rather than Interior Designers. My husband has done a sketch of how he wants his house to look like, from flooring and all, but I don't think he knows much about doing all the research because he probably won't really understand it as his English is not as good as mine. :P So anyway, I think we're going to look for contractors instead. But I don't seem to know where to start! :( I don't know what services contractors do (like, do they buy the sinks/toiletbowls for you and include in the package or we source for them for them to install for us?) (sorry, I know this sounds like quite a stupid question :( )

Would be great also if you could recommend some good and reliable contractors, able to work on an affordable budget. :) I'm not sure what will be the estimated quote, but next week will be going to look for quotations. If anyone knows estimated quote, that will be good. :)

Thanks for reading my lengthy post! And thanks in advance for your help... :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi,

My name is Jary, a ID firm will sure discuss throught the design and advise on some part and show you the stuff eg. Sink and toilet bowl. We will also try work thing between your budget but first if you got to get a resales flat, I suggest that you take a look at the house that you buying then decide on what you wish to renovate. best if you can bring a ID designer down with you so that they can take a look at the flat and advise you.

Jary

hi ,

i also just got a resale 3rm and is currently looking around for contractors. So far ID from chew interior / weiken quoted me around 25k to do up the whole place which is way over my budget.

do drop me a PM if u found any good contractors

Hi bluegurl82

Nothing offensive but your husband is very brave to want to undertake a whole renovation for a resale flat. Bcos its going to costs a bomb. Me and my husband just bought a resale flat, even with the nice marble living room and parquet bedroom floorings, the renovation quotations we got from some IDs are pretty hefty.

As for whether there is a need to get a ID, it totally depends on your budget. Even so, it doesn't mean that a contractor will not be good enough. As long as you know what kind of style you want for your house, an experienced contractor will be able to help you do up the house in the way a ID can too.

I would love to recommend my contractor to you but i can't say for the quality of his work right now as he has just started the renovation work yesterday. What i like most about my contractor is he doesn't give me starndard items yet charge me at an inflated price.

hello there i am currently going thru quotes for my 3i flat so u can head over to my tblog, posted a quote up for "critic" so u can have a look at the various cost. believe what u wish to do is close to mine. what type of house is yours?

do u have any budget in mind? pls stick to your budget and not let your ID/Contractors boss u ard cos you are the boss! not them. feel free to ask more qns, hope this helps a little!

You forgot to include painting work in your plan.

Go thru our Reno T-blog... afterthat, I am sure you will know how & where to start the reno work for your own hse.

Ah Soon & Mr Yeak seem to be the 2 popular contractor now with good workmanship... you might want to try them out.

Good luck :yamseng:

Hi all

I'm totally clueless about renovation stuff, so would appreciate all the help I can get. Because I'd like to help my husband out and provide him with some useful suggestions and advise rather than "I don't know" or let him do all the work. :(

I'm not clear of all the technical terms, so please bear with my stupidity and my layman terms! :( I only know these info, feel free to ask me if you feel you can help me out! :)

The house that we're aiming (currently the agents are discussing to close the deal, but even if in the end need to look for new flat, well, just take it we're getting a headstart in finding renovation first, because according to my husband, he wants to find a resale flat which will need total renovation.) will need to:

1) Do tiling for whole house (or maybe just kitchen, toilet, depending on budget)

2) Renovate toilet (as in toiletbowl, sink, heater etc, need to install new ones)

6) Renovate kitchen

I think so far that's it. Heh.

How do you suggest we go about renovating the house? Or what other advise do you think I'll need? I've read through some forum posts/topics, and seems like people go to contractors rather than Interior Designers. My husband has done a sketch of how he wants his house to look like, from flooring and all, but I don't think he knows much about doing all the research because he probably won't really understand it as his English is not as good as mine. :P So anyway, I think we're going to look for contractors instead. But I don't seem to know where to start! :( I don't know what services contractors do (like, do they buy the sinks/toiletbowls for you and include in the package or we source for them for them to install for us?) (sorry, I know this sounds like quite a stupid question :( )

Would be great also if you could recommend some good and reliable contractors, able to work on an affordable budget. :) I'm not sure what will be the estimated quote, but next week will be going to look for quotations. If anyone knows estimated quote, that will be good. :)

Thanks for reading my lengthy post! And thanks in advance for your help... :)

I find it strange, you mentioned "because according to my husband, he wants to find a resale flat which will need total renovation"

Honestly, first time i come across someone looking for a flat that needs total renovation. I guess maybe its a typo error? Usually, people looking for flats that requires minimal reno, so as to save cost.

Anyway, you can easily find a flat to give it total renovation, so long as you can afford it. :)

I can't advise on the estimated quote, but i dun mind sharing with you the prices quoted to me for your reference and bench mark. Mine is a resale EM.

6) Renovate kitchen

Item 1- 6 cost me $32k (inclusive of plumbing and painting job)

Item 7 - i assume is for the purchase of lights, cost me $2k (this is subjective, depending on individual's demand)

Item 8 - i assume is for the electrical job. (about $3k for rewiring)

Others that you gotto factor in.

Purchase of Toilet and Bathroom Accessories - My budget is $5k. Again depending on individual's demand and budget.

Edited by swift

Thank you for your replies...

Let me just explain why we're looking to totally renovate the house. It may be my phrasing is wrong, I don't know. The technical terms are just quite overwhelming. Heh.

We've seen quite alot of 3 room flats on resale. And most (if not all), have not been renovated for 10 years at least (from when the first owners bought the flat), and poorly maintained. These are about 200K - 210K (220K max for old flats in good condition) - Valuation Price. COV most of them want 10K. Those renovated ones are about 235K - 250K - Valuation Price. COV, most of them want 15K - 25K.

Hence, my husband obviously wouldn't want to buy those renovated ones, since firstly, it's not worth it. We'll be paying about minimum 250K for 3-room flat, renovation already done for like, 5 - 10 years? As compared to if we buy one that needs total renovation, if we pay say 10K COV, renovation, if I give high estimation, say 25K, we're effectively paying 245K for a brand new flat.

Secondly, the renovation will be catered to our liking, to his design. Of course, we'll still try and be practical and not get those very high end tilings and all. =) We'll still want to have what he designed for the house, but we'll do it within budget. If overshoot the budget, we'll just have to forgo some stuff, etc.

But thanks for the replies so far, have read all and some of the T-Blogs. Have a better idea what we want, and our budget. We do have cash saved up, and we can afford to get a loan which we can repay in 3 years maximum. =) (My aim actually, which is doable =p)

You forgot to include painting work in your plan.

Go thru our Reno T-blog... afterthat, I am sure you will know how & where to start the reno work for your own hse.

Ah Soon & Mr Yeak seem to be the 2 popular contractor now with good workmanship... you might want to try them out.

Good luck :yamseng:

kekeke, it's on purpose, because hubby wants to cut some costs, so want to do the painting himself (he has done it before for his sister's family last time). partly also because he wants to decorate the wall, paint some decorations or something. -_- I don't know how to explain.

You forgot to factor in kitchen cabinet, kitchen top, etc....

That cost money too!

Let me just explain why we're looking to totally renovate the house. It may be my phrasing is wrong, I don't know. The technical terms are just quite overwhelming. Heh.

We've seen quite alot of 3 room flats on resale. And most (if not all), have not been renovated for 10 years at least (from when the first owners bought the flat), and poorly maintained. These are about 200K - 210K (220K max for old flats in good condition) - Valuation Price. COV most of them want 10K. Those renovated ones are about 235K - 250K - Valuation Price. COV, most of them want 15K - 25K.

Hence, my husband obviously wouldn't want to buy those renovated ones, since firstly, it's not worth it. We'll be paying about minimum 250K for 3-room flat, renovation already done for like, 5 - 10 years? As compared to if we buy one that needs total renovation, if we pay say 10K COV, renovation, if I give high estimation, say 25K, we're effectively paying 245K for a brand new flat.

Secondly, the renovation will be catered to our liking, to his design. Of course, we'll still try and be practical and not get those very high end tilings and all. =) We'll still want to have what he designed for the house, but we'll do it within budget. If overshoot the budget, we'll just have to forgo some stuff, etc.

But thanks for the replies so far, have read all and some of the T-Blogs. Have a better idea what we want, and our budget. We do have cash saved up, and we can afford to get a loan which we can repay in 3 years maximum. =) (My aim actually, which is doable =p)

Now i get what you mean. :)

I do agree with your hubby. Since you guys already have the intention of renovating, and tendency is you will end up renovating practically the whole house.

kekeke, it's on purpose, because hubby wants to cut some costs, so want to do the painting himself (he has done it before for his sister's family last time). partly also because he wants to decorate the wall, paint some decorations or something. -_- I don't know how to explain.

Hahaha...your hubby just like me don't want ID cos the house should be what I want it to be not the ID (My family and I will be staying there not the ID, so is my comfort feeling)....I read 10 over magazines to get ideas before doing my house now. It almost completed soon. But I realise painting need a few coats and will be the last thing to do when all furniture are in (cos the movers may knock here and there, dirty or worse hit and crack the wall).

just to share my quote from Ho Bee:

HO BEE RENOVATION PTE LTD

Blk 4034 Ang Mo Kio Industrial Park 1 #01-54 S'pore 569641

Tel: 6788 5841 Fax: 6788 9384

HDB Licence No: 02-0225-Z Co.Reg No: 200406028D

General Works

1Apply HDB permit fee NA

2Hack off existing living room floor tiles $ 240.00

3Hack off existing 2 bedrooms skirting $ 80.00

4Hack off existing kitchen floor tiles $ 180.00

5Hack off existing kitchen wall tiles $ 350.00

6Discard existing kitchen cabinet cum clear off site $ 150.00

7Supply sand and haulage material to door step $ 500.00

8Clear debris off site $ 150.00

9Acid and general washing 2 times for whole unit $ 150.00

Mansonary Works

1Apply kitchen flooring 3 layer waterproofing treatment $ 180.00

2Supply and lay kitchen ceramic/homogeneous floor tiles $ 880.00

3Construct kitchen cabinet base $ 180.00

4Supply and install s/steel refuse chute $ 180.00

5Construct kitchen 5ftL low 63mm hollow block wall $ 380.00

6Supply and lay kitchen ceramic wall tile till ceiling height $ 2,400.00

7Supply and lay living room 600mm x 600mm homogeneous floor tiles $ 1,500.00

c/w skirting

8Patch up and make good 2 bedrooms skirting $ 100.00

Plumbing Works

1Rerun whole unit cold water stainless steel piping $ 580.00

2Labour fee to install sink in/outlet piping $ 120.00

3Labour fee to install washing machine in/outlet piping $ 80.00

4Labour fee to install 1 set sitting Wc bowl $ 90.00

5Labour fee to install 1 set wash basin $ 60.00

6Labour fee to install 1 set instant water heater $ 60.00

7Labour fee to install kitchen and toilets accessories FOC

Tempered Glass

1Fabricate and install kitchen entrance 10mm clear tempered glass $ 680.00

silding door $ 150.00

2Supply and install S/steel silding door pelmet

Laminate Floor Board

1Supply and lay 2 bedrooms Supreme laminate AC4 laminate floor $ 1,250.00

board c/w skirting

Carpentry Works

1Fabricate and install 28ft top and bottom laminate kitchen cabinet c/w $ 2,800.00

ABS trimming,drawer,s/steel dish tray cum installation cooker and hood

2Supply and install 15ft India Granite kitchen worktop $ 1,500.00

Electrical Works

1Ext 1 no 5Amp lighting/fan point @S$ 30 x 10 $ 300.00

2Labour fee to install per lighting fitting @S$ 10 x 10 $ 100.00

3Ext 1 no 13Amp single switch socket outlet @S$ 45 x 4 $ 180.00

4Ext 1 no 13Amp double switch socket outlet @S$ 55 x 9 $ 495.00

5Ext 1 no 15Amp air-con point @S$ 90 x 1 $ 90.00

6Ext 1 no 20Amp heater switch @S$ 90 x 1 $ 90.00

7Ext 1 no SCV Tv point @S$ 90 x 2 $ 180.00

8Ext 1 no Tel point @S$ 50 x 3 $ 150.00

9Switch control for cooker and hood $ 60.00

10Earth bonding to water and gas pipe $ 60.00

11Complete set E.L.C.B $ 240.00

Total Price: $ 16,915.00

Less Discount: $ 115.00

Nett Price: $ 16,800.00

So far i found this quote the most reasonable as I ask for granite kitchen top, Supreme AC4 laminate flooring. The others quote i receive from 15k-25k never provide the item.

Any comments on this?

cannotisit, try reading honeygal for an understanding of HB, she used them and it was quite pricey. just make sure u ask all that u need to. :)