Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
atlantis2267

Toilet Ceiling Leak

Such a common problem - but hard to search for advise. Mine is a localised leak around the drainage pipe in my neighbour's ceiling below.

Please advise what solutions are available:

1 - hack and re-tile (ok - want to avoid due to cost, and effort)

2 - chemical grouting / injection ( what are the pros and cons?)

Pros:

a) 1/2 day effort

b) cost (getting a quotation from contractor soon)

c)

Cons:

a) Warranty offered is 1 year in area of treatment

b)

3 - anymore?

Thanks in advance.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Such a common problem - but hard to search for advise. Mine is a localised leak around the drainage pipe in my neighbour's ceiling below.

Please advise what solutions are available:

1 - hack and re-tile (ok - want to avoid due to cost, and effort)

2 - chemical grouting / injection ( what are the pros and cons?)

Pros:

a) 1/2 day effort

b) cost (getting a quotation from contractor soon)

c)

Cons:

a) Warranty offered is 1 year in area of treatment

b)

3 - anymore?

Thanks in advance.

The solution would be call HDB and they would inspect, advise on what to do next and cost would be 50% 50% for both up n down neighbours. One of my relative paid $250 for everything.

The solution would be call HDB and they would inspect, advise on what to do next and cost would be 50% 50% for both up n down neighbours. One of my relative paid $250 for everything.

Just to close off this thread.

Yep. Done that -- HDB advise/solution will rip the tiles (which in my case, rip quite a lot of things). I tried XYPEX treatment on my neighbour's ceiling instead.

Just to close off this thread.

Yep. Done that -- HDB advise/solution will rip the tiles (which in my case, rip quite a lot of things). I tried XYPEX treatment on my neighbour's ceiling instead.

Hi

I have similar problem that my master bedroom toilet ceiling leaks at the part above the toilet bowl. Infd HDB alr but n'bour quite hostile and seems unwilling to compromise and resolve together.

You mentioned abt XYPEX treatment on the ceiling, what's that? Is that the solution you chose? What's the cost involve?

Hope you can advise.

Thanks

ziyter

Hi

I have similar problem that my master bedroom toilet ceiling leaks at the part above the toilet bowl. Infd HDB alr but n'bour quite hostile and seems unwilling to compromise and resolve together.

You mentioned abt XYPEX treatment on the ceiling, what's that? Is that the solution you chose? What's the cost involve?

Hope you can advise.

Thanks

ziyter

If yr unit is "new" bought direct fm HDB, less than a yr, HDB will settle the issue, otherwises, this is a cost-split, 50-50 between u and your neighbour (up or down).

Edited by bepgof

Hi

Hope you can advise.

Thanks

ziyter

Local vendor I used: www.jmpl.com.sg. You can read more there. I suggest you call them in to do a survey and also to address your questions - which I did to also get a sense of the company's professionalism.

Pricing: as a gauge for my (below) neighbour's HDB masterbedroom toilet ceiling area size, about $700. Price may have change - so contact them.

As mentioned above, I used this because I cannot afford (both $, effort, time) to hack down my renovated bathroom. It took them 1 day to grind off the ceiling surface (so yes, can be dusty and dirty there), wash and paint xypex, then clean up. They came back to paint the ceiling on another day.

What was HDB's assessment? Why just around the toilet bowl area?

Edited by atlantis2267

Local vendor I used: www.jmpl.com.sg. You can read more there. I suggest you call them in to do a survey and also to address your questions - which I did to also get a sense of the company's professionalism.

Pricing: as a gauge for my (below) neighbour's HDB masterbedroom toilet ceiling area size, about $700. Price may have change - so contact them.

As mentioned above, I used this because I cannot afford (both $, effort, time) to hack down my renovated bathroom. It took them 1 day to grind off the ceiling surface (so yes, can be dusty and dirty there), wash and paint xypex, then clean up. They came back to paint the ceiling on another day.

What was HDB's assessment? Why just around the toilet bowl area?

Hi Atlantis,

how's the Xypex results so far? Is it still holding up? Any new complains?

Appreciate if u can share cos i am facing a similar problem now and also considering Xypex. Thanks.

Hi Atlantis,

how's the Xypex results so far? Is it still holding up? Any new complains?

Appreciate if u can share cos i am facing a similar problem now and also considering Xypex. Thanks.

There is no leakage since.

However, I am not sure if this is all due to Xypex, as I also also asked a self employed plumber to apply some white cement around the floor-tile-meets-gulley area (original cement diagnosed to be porous). This was before the xypex application (long story I won't go into it). So, I can only say 100% no problem now (but could be a combination of the above two).

Hi there,

I know of a chemical which can solve the problem.

The chemical name if I not mistaken is call "INS DampSeal"

You can DIY and you can save few hundred dollars calling contractor to

do for u.

If you r interested, send me a mgs n I try to get the contact for u.

I am interested...please get the contact for me!!

Thanks.

Hi there,

I know of a chemical which can solve the problem.

The chemical name if I not mistaken is call "INS DampSeal"

You can DIY and you can save few hundred dollars calling contractor to

do for u.

If you r interested, send me a mgs n I try to get the contact for u.

It could be 50-50. HDB? 5 yrs ago it happened to my toilet. Water sip through and wet teh concrete over time that is cause a chunk to fall off. and part of the metal structure was rusted. Ask neighbour what they want to do about it to solve this. As usual, drag their feet and act blur like it was not their doing. After making a report to HDB to ask them, they told both home owners that the cost will be shared 50-50 and the contractor was someone HDB contact to do the repair so no one can claim the other might be pulling a fast one to cheat the other of over charging or paying less. I thought it was fair that way.

http://www.plagiarismsoftware.org/ | http://six-sigma-certification.net | www.accidentinjuryhelplines.co.uk/claim-type/slip-trip-or-fall.html

Edited by max008

It could be 50-50. HDB? 5 yrs ago it happened to my toilet. Water sip through and wet teh concrete over time that is cause a chunk to fall off. and part of the metal structure was rusted. Ask neighbour what they want to do about it to solve this. As usual, drag their feet and act blur like it was not their doing. After making a report to HDB to ask them, they told both home owners that the cost will be shared 50-50 and the contractor was someone HDB contact to do the repair so no one can claim the other might be pulling a fast one to cheat the other of over charging or paying less. I thought it was fair that way.

how much was your repair?

Hi

It seems I am also facing this with my resale unit. It is undergoing reno now. Contractor pointed out the leak on my common toilet ceiling. quite sizeable drops of water comes down each time it leaks.

HDB was informed. They came and took a look. Went up to tell the upstairs neighbour. Looks like they are not willing to repair (classic answer given was "My toilet did not leak").

I wonder if HDB has the authority to force them to repair? I am just curious why they are so against repairing it as:

- the other guy has to cough out 50%. so it is not like he has nothing much to do and want to throw money away.

- it might be your toilet ceiling the next time and people could do the same back to you.

Anyone knows whether HDB can insist they repair it with a contractor recommended by HDB?

Now it appears that my reno will drag longer than expected.

Sigh....