Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zhiz

Lessons From The Id Selection Process

I set high standard. I tell them i don't like to talk nonsense. I need status updates, if they can't provide that service...then we don't waste each other time. I want them to firm down the contract end date. This end date should include rectification time. And I usually choose experienced and mature designers. Cause their EQ are better.

This method works..well.

Wow. Din set my standard so high but luckily, i am getting very regular update and via mms as well to see the state of completion. Everything still on schedule, except due to some tile selection issue, its delayed by a day or so, which i think my ID is more concerned about it than me :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

That's good to hear. I have my lesson learnt with my 2nd ID.

I was too good hearted then. I believe in what he said. Let him manage the schedule. And you know what. He takes for granted. Take me for a ride. Ask me to help his work and play the disappearing tricks. Even get agitated..what customer service?? He told he is busy can't answer call??!!!

I asked myself...why should I be so good. I am paying for a service. Why should I pay to get fustration. Without a second word, I talk to the company boss. Luckily, it is a big company, and they change him away. And all went well.

You know what the joke was? His colleague was telling me that he is running many programs and he got some nasty customers, that why he is attending to them...Put yourself in his shoes, if you are running many projects, which will you prioritize? Mr nice guy project or Mr. cannot be play with??

So the lesson learnt is set high standard, they know you can't be taken for a ride and they will work on it. Be reasonable.

So the next time, an IDs tell you that they will make mistakes..Look at them in the faces and asked, "how many times?" More than three times, down 5% discount can or not?

Edited by negarawan

That's good to hear. I have my lesson learnt with my 2nd ID.

I was too good hearted then. I believe in what he said. Let him manage the schedule. And you know what. He takes for granted. Take me for a ride. Ask me to help his work and play the disappearing tricks. Even get agitated..what customer service?? He told he is busy can't answer call??!!!

I asked myself...why should I be so good. I am paying for a service. Why should I pay to get fustration. Without a second word, I talk to the company boss. Luckily, it is a big company, and they change him away. And all went well.

You know what the joke was? His colleague was telling me that he is running many programs and he got some nasty customers, that why he is attending to them...

So the lesson learnt is set high standard, they know you can't be taken for a ride and they will work on it. Be reasonable. Ask yourself a simple question, they bear the pain for few weeks, but you have to stay in that house. Why accept sub-service??

Put yourself in their shoes, if you are running many projects, which will you prioritize? Mr nice guy project or Mr. cannot be play with??

So the next time, an IDs tell you that they will mistakes..Look at them in the faces and asked, "how many times?" More than three times, put down 5% discount can or not?

I think you should start your very own 'Lessons Learnt' thread as well as your past experience and encounters will prove invaluable.

I really like that part where you really down it down straight to the ID what you expect and its no nonsense.

I'm just done with my first appointment and now i am on my way finding an ID. Been reading this forum since june it's very very resourceful. But the info can be overwhelming. i'm also worried that those "hot" id would be too busy to cope with the project. On the other hand i am also afraid that i might find an inexperience id. Wish i could find a " right" one to do the job. The funny thing is I just started and already feeling tired .. lol

hi Ve_Ve,

welcome to the club, i felt jaded very soon after meeting up with IDs, that's why i only made it thru 3 of them before settling for my ID, whom i felt that i could convey my idea thru efficiently. She's not the "HOT" ID whom everyone is seeking for, but i she takes her time with each client to understand what they want as she did for us. Like many members of the fourms hv pointed out, sometimes, it's just not good enough to look out for famous ID firm or hot ID because at the end of the day, you need someone who can understand what you want or need.

hi Ve_Ve,

welcome to the club, i felt jaded very soon after meeting up with IDs, that's why i only made it thru 3 of them before settling for my ID, whom i felt that i could convey my idea thru efficiently. She's not the "HOT" ID whom everyone is seeking for, but i she takes her time with each client to understand what they want as she did for us. Like many members of the fourms hv pointed out, sometimes, it's just not good enough to look out for famous ID firm or hot ID because at the end of the day, you need someone who can understand what you want or need.

I believe you must be very happy with your decision instead of going for those popular ones that may not have sufficient time for you. Most impt is able to click with the ID and ID is able to attend to your needs and they can be on site to help you ensure all goes well and retify the problem asap.

hi zhiz, you and i seem to have gone thru the whole rollercoaster ride of getting excited about the new place, to meeting a couple of designers, waiting anxiously for qoutations (some of which never came....hahaha), to eventually being jaded of meeting IDs. hahaha...to me, getting a new place should be an exciting process, which shld be, hence, one really have to find someone who is responsive (to phone calls/requests/demands etc etc) as well as the "clickabilty" (mentioned before but utterly important)!

hi zhiz, you and i seem to have gone thru the whole rollercoaster ride of getting excited about the new place, to meeting a couple of designers, waiting anxiously for qoutations (some of which never came....hahaha), to eventually being jaded of meeting IDs. hahaha...to me, getting a new place should be an exciting process, which shld be, hence, one really have to find someone who is responsive (to phone calls/requests/demands etc etc) as well as the "clickabilty" (mentioned before but utterly important)!

haha yeah. also most impt is that you feel assured that things are going to be perfectly alright even if we are too busy to go to check.

Right now its been very relaxing for me, because of the constant update from the ID and the mms whenever anything is completed.

my tiling just done.

yourself?

mine was all done up for rougly 1 month +, just sharing my experiences with fellow forumers. I was sooo lost initially when selecting ID but my process was relatively stressless (like you) once i found a good ID. Enjoy your process, it should be fun!

Selecting a right ID or contractor is very important. Of course, luck plays a part. But there are some tell tale sign of dangers when meeting with potential ones.

I go for year of experiences, Why?

1. They are doing this job for years. Therefore, they have better experienced than those that had < 5 years

2. They have better EQ being in this business long enough, and old enough to handle situation

I don't think you want to train the new ID.

Tell tale sign that you will have high chance get piss!!

1. Hot ID, they have no time for you. No time means lousy job.

2. Boastful ID, real work counts, boasting only show insecure

3. Not-honest ID, if he sounds too good to be true on the promises, usually it doesn’t materialize

I remember meeting a young guy 2 years back at the ID firm. He told me his works is the best amongst his colleague! He had been the top ID in the company with the highest amount of sale. And his boss looks highly on him.

I asked him, “In the best month, how many project you have?” He said 10, and so busy till no time for family, 7 days a week. And his design works need to be outsourced to others.

I really pitied his customers, he acts like a quantity churner, instead of quality focused. I ask,”Brother, you are so good, can you show me your company award for being top sale?”

And the rest is history…

Selecting a right ID or contractor is very important. Of course, luck plays a part. But there are some tell tale sign of dangers when meeting with potential ones.

I go for year of experiences, Why?

1. They are doing this job for years. Therefore, they have better experienced than those that had < 5 years

2. They have better EQ being in this business long enough, and old enough to handle situation

I don't think you want to train the new ID.

Tell tale sign that you will have high chance get piss!!

1. Hot ID, they have no time for you. No time means lousy job.

2. Boastful ID, real work counts, boasting only show insecure

3. Not-honest ID, if he sounds too good to be true on the promises, usually it doesn’t materialize

I remember meeting a young guy 2 years back at the ID firm. He told me his works is the best amongst his colleague! He had been the top ID in the company with the highest amount of sale. And his boss looks highly on him.

I asked him, “In the best month, how many project you have?” He said 10, and so busy till no time for family, 7 days a week. And his design works need to be outsourced to others.

I really pitied his customers, he acts like a quantity churner, instead of quality focused. I ask,”Brother, you are so good, can you show me your company award for being top sale?”

And the rest is history…

I think the really fresh and new ID are found at all the expo 'home design' shows that appear every 2 months.

10 project per month is also quite impossible if you know the amt of effort that goes into a project.

I think the really fresh and new ID are found at all the expo 'home design' shows that appear every 2 months.

10 project per month is also quite impossible if you know the amt of effort that goes into a project.

Bro, I avoid them. I don't like to be training materials for newbie.

Well, hot ID maybe doing 10 projects a month. That's mean they don't prioritize on those that they deemed can't make a lot money. It is not easy to find a responsible person nowaday. And if they tell you they are, most probably they are not.

Another tell tale sign is the term and conditions. A good company culture doesn't need to have term and condition that over protect themselves too much. If they do, then it means that they usually get into dispute with unhappy customers.

For example, I avoid those that put last payment as 5%, instead of 10%. A 5% doesn't pinch at all. Between I am a CASE member too. Sometimes, I volunteer in mediating issue.

Edited by negarawan

Bro, I avoid them. I don't like to be training materials for newbie.

Well, hot ID maybe doing 10 projects a month. That's mean they don't prioritize on those that they deemed can't make a lot money. It is not easy to find a responsible person nowaday. And if they tell you they are, most probably they are not.

Another tell tale sign is the term and conditions. A good company culture doesn't need to have term and condition that over protect themselves too much. If they do, then it means that they usually get into dispute with unhappy customers.

For example, I avoid those that put last payment as 5%, instead of 10%. A 5% doesn't pinch at all. Between I am a CASE member too. Sometimes, I volunteer in mediating issue.

You post out liao like that later got a lot of ppl pm you to help them resolve liao....

wah no wonder you so particular cos you are CASE member!

Got some badge or not, go around shopping sure ppl treat you nice nice.

I just have to exercise our right! I seen cases where ID mark up cost as much as 60% for small items. This is totally unethical.

No badge. Being CASE and volunteer in true consumer woes, you know that you have to set high standard! You get soft hearted, then it is your losses. It is the same i.e. car purchase from PI, buying houses, time shares....etc.

We should start a thread on how much markup ID does on items ;p