Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Felixp

Home Sweet Home @ Woodlands (' ',)

After months of meeting up with contractors/IDs and comparing, we are finally starting our renovation next week (hacking on 26 Oct 2009) with the entire project expected to be completed in 6 weeks' time. =)

Our "hunting" process was in no way easy, and full of hiccups here and there. :bangwall:

We are starting this blog just to share on our reno journey, and for those who are interested in engaging Mr Yeak, perhaps, a chance to get a feel of how he work..

Also, would like to thank Familyof4 & Red_Devil for letting us view their lovely homes (and see Ah Soon & Jason's works), for inspiration.

Will update with pixs soon. :yamseng:

Edited by Felixp

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Wah! Finally settled on your desirable contractor! heee. :lol: congrat congrat!

Must post some pre-renovation pics hor... heehee.

26 Nov...hmm..so is about a month or so before it start.. Must be full of new ideas now for your house ya? heee.

Hi red_devil: U so fast and the 1st to reply ah!! Opsie, i too ganchong liao. I meant the hacking starts next mon, 26 Oct.. :P

Hi amrasenelya: We are hacking the 3 toilets + Kitchen + 1 ceiling roof + 1 study room wall. Not alot of carpetry; we only doing carpetry for kitchen + 1 sliding door wardrobe at MBR. R u engaging Mr Yeak oso?

Hi red_devil: U so fast and the 1st to reply ah!! Opsie, i too ganchong liao. I meant the hacking starts next mon, 26 Oct.. :P

Hi amrasenelya: We are hacking the 3 toilets + Kitchen + 1 ceiling roof + 1 study room wall. Not alot of carpetry; we only doing carpetry for kitchen + 1 sliding door wardrobe at MBR. R u engaging Mr Yeak oso?

Oh! icic...I happen to be reading the threads and searching for something.. Then, saw a familiar nick starting a thread..Must support mah. haha.. Monday har...intend to roll pineapple a not. :P

RT 欢迎你... :dancingqueen:

The heat up and stress will transform to joy so stay happy be happy...

One thing for sure, you found the right place where you can throw your anger and share your joy...RT...haha :D

Hi Supersimon27: Mine's at Blk 356. Where's yours?

Hi dannywmp: I hope my stress will subside now cos i felt yeak is quite responsible (I hope I am not wrong!!). Already stressed enough fretting & arguing with hubby over which contractors to choose.

Hi Angel81: Yeah!! We are so happy mr Yeak was able to "take us". Cos when we called him 1 week earlier, he told us he was fully booked. But he smsed my hubby on mon's night saying that 1 of his client has delayed the reno, hence he was able to take us if we are still interested. Of cos we are!! We are on the verge of confirming with another contractor; we immed met mr Yeak yesterday and confirm everything by evening... So whoever delayed the reno, a big THANK YOU :dancingqueen:

Hi coffee_o: Thanks thanks! Same same for you oso. :sport-smiley-018:

Hi Supersimon27: Mine's at Blk 356. Where's yours?

Hi dannywmp: I hope my stress will subside now cos i felt yeak is quite responsible (I hope I am not wrong!!). Already stressed enough fretting & arguing with hubby over which contractors to choose.

Hi Angel81: Yeah!! We are so happy mr Yeak was able to "take us". Cos when we called him 1 week earlier, he told us he was fully booked. But he smsed my hubby on mon's night saying that 1 of his client has delayed the reno, hence he was able to take us if we are still interested. Of cos we are!! We are on the verge of confirming with another contractor; we immed met mr Yeak yesterday and confirm everything by evening... So whoever delayed the reno, a big THANK YOU :dancingqueen:

Hi coffee_o: Thanks thanks! Same same for you oso. :sport-smiley-018:

me at woodlands ring rd . yr place Very near my parent . My parent place at 349

Here's the floorplan:

4031975920_3b322ed5e3.jpg

Renovation works required

1. Overhual of kitchen

2. Overhual of 3 toilets

3. Hacking of study room wall - intending to use as dining room

4. Hacking of balcony ceiling & installing roller shutters

5. Installation of 7 ft wardrobe at MBR

6. Installation of new wrought iron main gate

7. Painting of all internal walls + stairway railing + all doors

8. Polishing of marble + parque flooring

Total Damage = $37,570

This is the final price quoted by Mr Yeak. His quote is about 2k more expensive than ah soon, but there were certain items that Mr Yeak couldn't do:

- Replacement of all dome-shaped doors to rectangular doors -> We are okay with it as Mr Yeak will repaint the doors & replace the hinges/locks for us

- He doesn't supply the wrought iron paint to repaint the wrought iron stairway railing -> We'll buy the paint & he'll supply the labour instead. ;)

The Pre-Reno Pixs:

Dining Area-cum-"front lobby"

4031222667_e16ef218b7.jpg

4031975438_e3e3529325.jpg

This area is made smaller by the additional steps that the previous owners added to the stairway at the 1st floor landing. Accordingly, this is for fengshui, otherwise, it seems like the 'qi' is flowing out of the house to the windows/main door. Hence, this area is too small to be the dining area. We intend to use the study room for the dining area instead; hence, hacking 1 wall to allow light in and make the area more spacious. :sport-smiley-018:

Study room

4031223105_4b08257ac3.jpg

Considering whether to block up the small window? :unsure:

kitchen

4031223691_8d31d0fb87.jpg

4031223597_3360dd5aa8.jpg

All these to be gone; however, will be following the exact position of fridge, sink, hob, hood + oven below the hob & less the messy-ness.

4031975352_0552ffc5a3.jpg

The open walkway from the kitchen to the balcony. This will be sealed up with a glass sliding door.

Balcony

4031222465_1870c9426d.jpg

The ceiling to be hacked for the sunlight to come in.

4031222941_9640eb81a6.jpg

The 2nd open walkway from the balcony to the living room. This to be sealed up as well with a glass sliding door. Planning to get new laundry system from Ezzi Living.

Stairway

4031976654_614c913ede.jpg

4031223157_e546e73b2c.jpg

Shelves along the stairway. Great for putting display

MBR

4031976272_29e062a12f.jpg

4031976330_596c08310e.jpg

All built-in stuff to go as well.

MBR Toilet

4031223313_ab68bef440.jpg

Pink-themed.

4031976122_f3a831ddd2.jpg

Shower area; long enough for a bath-tub. But we think it's quite troublesome to maintain a bathtub & not to mention the huge amount of water to be used! We are intending to use individual water heaters as well, but only for the 2 toilets on 2nd level. We are just worried that if the storage tank breaks down, all toilets will be affected, plus we hated the idea of the tank rusting after a few years. On the downside is that we could not install those huge rain showerheads, but might as well, we could save the $$.