#1 seashell

seashell

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:53 AM

folks,

this is an important msg especially if u have built in feature wall or tv console:

http://www.opennet.c...etwork-rollout/

there is a islandwide installation of cable that is meant for high speed internet and watch high def tv... it is actually meant for Singapore’s Next Generation National Broadband Network (Next Gen NBN). refer to IDA website on this: http://www.ida.gov.s...0919190208.aspx

so if u have built in feature wall or tv console, u may have to ask your carpenter/electrician to follow opennet's instructions to make way for their installation to avoid ugly trunking to surface!

#2 hawthorne

hawthorne

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:00 AM

too late. my reno was done before they announced the opennet installation procedure.

Anyone has their's done already? How do they affect your house? Mine is totally covered with false ceiling and concealed wiring. Took great pain to avoid trunking.

Hope that this installation will not affect the look sad.gif sad.gif

#3 charemme

charemme

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the Info!! I have just print it out, gonna show my hubby tonight

#4 momo13

momo13

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:40 AM

thanks for the info...

#5 Supersimon27

Supersimon27

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:10 PM

I was jus saying kind of sianz sia ... mine 01 Jun 2012 to 01 Aug 2012 then install ... one of the last batch

#6 momo13

momo13

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (Supersimon27 @ Nov 18 2009, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was jus saying kind of sianz sia ... mine 01 Jun 2012 to 01 Aug 2012 then install ... one of the last batch

ya woodlands is one of the later batch...my parents' home is schedule for installation between Sep 2011 to Nov 2011. while my amk will be targeted for installation between Dec 2010 to Feb 2011. really slow and sian..

#7 seashell

seashell

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (hawthorne @ Nov 18 2009, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
too late. my reno was done before they announced the opennet installation procedure.

Anyone has their's done already? How do they affect your house? Mine is totally covered with false ceiling and concealed wiring. Took great pain to avoid trunking.

Hope that this installation will not affect the look sad.gif sad.gif

i called the openNet, they say to avoid surface trunking, there are steps to follow BEFORE installing the ceiling n carpentry... think mine also abit too late.. sad.gif my ceiling already UP

#8 elfettucine

elfettucine

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:30 PM

Whoa....

thanks for the head's up!

#9 Supersimon27

Supersimon27

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (momo13 @ Nov 18 2009, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ya woodlands is one of the later batch...my parents' home is schedule for installation between Sep 2011 to Nov 2011. while my amk will be targeted for installation between Dec 2010 to Feb 2011. really slow and sian..

wah pianz , yr parent place also earlier then mine .... even my parent place also ...

wonder they will start the service after everyone install or after install can use le ...

#10 momo13

momo13

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (Supersimon27 @ Nov 18 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wah pianz , yr parent place also earlier then mine .... even my parent place also ...

wonder they will start the service after everyone install or after install can use le ...

oh ya hor how come urs is half a year later?

#11 momo13

momo13

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (seashell @ Nov 18 2009, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i called the openNet, they say to avoid surface trunking, there are steps to follow BEFORE installing the ceiling n carpentry... think mine also abit too late.. sad.gif my ceiling already UP

erm care to share the steps?

thanks

#12 Supersimon27

Supersimon27

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (momo13 @ Nov 18 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh ya hor how come urs is half a year later?

dun know leh .... maybe after yr parent side then is ave 3 my parent side ... then after that my side ..... sianz sianz sianz ...

#13 chip&dale

chip&dale

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:02 PM

how u know when will they install for woodlands or ang mo kio?? when will they install for tampines? any ideas?

#14 Supersimon27

Supersimon27

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (chip&dale @ Nov 18 2009, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how u know when will they install for woodlands or ang mo kio?? when will they install for tampines? any ideas?

Click here and key in postal code

smile.gif

#15 momo13

momo13

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (Supersimon27 @ Nov 18 2009, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

can use this link too smile.gif

Edited by momo13, 18 November 2009 - 01:18 PM.

#16 kelvinkezz

kelvinkezz

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:56 PM

wow! thanks for the info!!

#17 dmay

dmay

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:20 PM

Hmm, saw this too. Simon, at least you still got a few years to enjoy your nice nice hse... mine hor will be done next yr ard Mar - Jun... that means I have <6 months before seeing ugly trunking running ard the house crying.gif

#18 seashell

seashell

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:41 PM

This is the reply from OpenNet staff on the guidelines:

Attached are some suggestions on general guidelines which may be helpful to home owners who may be doing some renovations works within the Home.

1. Designate a Location:

(i) Designate a particular location, such as a designated closet, where all the telecommunication facilities can be installed within. This will facilitate connections and ensure that the installation can be performed presentably & neatly.

2. Ensure “Conduit or Path” To The Designated Location So That Fibre Can Be Installed

For Condominiums / HDBs / High Rise Residential Homes

(ii) Ensure or cater for an empty 20mm uPVC conduit or PVC trunking compartment to the above location (eg. The closet). The conduit should be installed in straight runs or be able to accommodate bending radius of the central line of the conduit not less than 100mm.

(iii) A draw rope shall be provided in the empty conduit so that the fibre cable can be installed subsequently.

For Landed Homes

Ensure 1 empty 50mm diamerter uPVC continuous lead-in and underground pipe to be provided from 1m beyond the roadside drain to the designated location.

Ensure that there is a draw rope in the empty conduit so that the fibre cable can be installed subsequently.

This will facilitate the installation of fibre into the home & near points of connection.

3. Ensure Accessories At The Designated Location Is Catered For

(iv) Install twin 13A power point/socket at the designated location (eg. Within the closet), so as to provide power to any equipment.

(v) Install RJ45 patch panel. No. of ports should be greater than the no. of rooms of units .

4. Internal Wiring / Cabling

(vi) Owners are encouraged to install Cat 6 cables for internal cabling from the patch panel to all rooms. This will ensure internal cabling connectivity.

Its important to note that Unshielded Twisted Pair (Cat 6) cables should not exceed 100m runs from the RJ45 patch panel to the RJ45 wall outlet.

Regards
The OpenNet Team

#19 momo13

momo13

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (seashell @ Nov 18 2009, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the reply from OpenNet staff on the guidelines:

Attached are some suggestions on general guidelines which may be helpful to home owners who may be doing some renovations works within the Home.

1. Designate a Location:

(i) Designate a particular location, such as a designated closet, where all the telecommunication facilities can be installed within. This will facilitate connections and ensure that the installation can be performed presentably & neatly.

2. Ensure “Conduit or Path” To The Designated Location So That Fibre Can Be Installed

For Condominiums / HDBs / High Rise Residential Homes

(ii) Ensure or cater for an empty 20mm uPVC conduit or PVC trunking compartment to the above location (eg. The closet). The conduit should be installed in straight runs or be able to accommodate bending radius of the central line of the conduit not less than 100mm.

(iii) A draw rope shall be provided in the empty conduit so that the fibre cable can be installed subsequently.

For Landed Homes

Ensure 1 empty 50mm diamerter uPVC continuous lead-in and underground pipe to be provided from 1m beyond the roadside drain to the designated location.

Ensure that there is a draw rope in the empty conduit so that the fibre cable can be installed subsequently.

This will facilitate the installation of fibre into the home & near points of connection.

3. Ensure Accessories At The Designated Location Is Catered For

(iv) Install twin 13A power point/socket at the designated location (eg. Within the closet), so as to provide power to any equipment.

(v) Install RJ45 patch panel. No. of ports should be greater than the no. of rooms of units .

4. Internal Wiring / Cabling

(vi) Owners are encouraged to install Cat 6 cables for internal cabling from the patch panel to all rooms. This will ensure internal cabling connectivity.

Its important to note that Unshielded Twisted Pair (Cat 6) cables should not exceed 100m runs from the RJ45 patch panel to the RJ45 wall outlet.

Regards
The OpenNet Team

thanks alot...

#20 seashell

seashell

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:43 PM

from friends comments n etc... this is not a compulsory thing to install... if don't install, we still can use starhub or mio tv... using those boxes..

my house got many beams so practically also cannot hide the trunking....

#21 Supersimon27

Supersimon27

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (momo13 @ Nov 18 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks alot...

wah u understand ar ... me totally blur ...

#22 momo13

momo13

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (Supersimon27 @ Nov 18 2009, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wah u understand ar ... me totally blur ...

aiya ppl post info must thanks mah..but hor understand abit lah..

summarized:

choose a location where tv and power points are consolidated so that its easier, that if need to reno ask electrician to use larger trunk in order to allow for it to pass thru (or something like that lor), then have enough power point and consider where u want ur internet ports to be and to use cat 6 cables.

hope i didnt get it wrong.. lol

#23 Supersimon27

Supersimon27

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (momo13 @ Nov 18 2009, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
aiya ppl post info must thanks mah..but hor understand abit lah..

summarized:

choose a location where tv and power points are consolidated so that its easier, that if need to reno ask electrician to use larger trunk in order to allow for it to pass thru (or something like that lor), then have enough power point and consider where u want ur internet ports to be and to use cat 6 cables.

hope i didnt get it wrong.. lol

oh ... ... zhun bo ... dun anyhow aga aga ... later provide wrong info ... phahhaa tongue.gif

#24 momo13

momo13

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (Supersimon27 @ Nov 18 2009, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh ... ... zhun bo ... dun anyhow aga aga ... later provide wrong info ... phahhaa tongue.gif

should be bah haha... going to ask my electrician more next week

#25 Chinchye

Chinchye

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:13 PM

Wa.. thks simon!!

Didnt know abt this.. its really helpful.. biggrin.gif

#26 Chinchye

Chinchye

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:27 PM

Oh no,

I went to see the website opennet.. u can see how the fibre is run from the riser to ur main door to ur tv.. oh oh..

I think for me, the trunking will surely be visible.. cos i dont intend to renov my L box ceiling.. =(

#27 elfettucine

elfettucine

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:38 PM

Man, I'm so glad I found out about this.

Will talk to my ID about the ceiling plan tomorrow, but I suspect that if I want to stay in budget, we have to continue as planned.

Anyway, if they do the trunking nicely, you don't really notice it.

#28 jthk18

jthk18

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:13 PM

Thx for sharing the info. it's really useful!

#29 bergkamp

bergkamp

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:50 PM

Really useful and just in time excl.gif

Will inform my electrician to make provision for this. I think I will be getting the network next June.
Better to be prepared.

Is the Cat 6 cable really necessary? I will have to rewire my house network it seems. Last time they used Cat 5

#30 alamak

alamak

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (bergkamp @ Nov 23 2009, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really useful and just in time excl.gif

Will inform my electrician to make provision for this. I think I will be getting the network next June.
Better to be prepared.

Is the Cat 6 cable really necessary? I will have to rewire my house network it seems. Last time they used Cat 5

Cat 6 would be better but Cat 5e should be sufficient.

#31 jtec14

jtec14

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

anyone with suspensed TV console and hidden trunking had the above fixed? able to show how they go around fixing it? Thanks.
My SCV point and trunking are hidden inside wall and console. bangwall.gif

#32 zhiz

zhiz

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:58 PM

I did mine already

my Id suggest that the wiring goes into the false ceiling and then goes into the trunking down the wall to the centre of the wall near the other sockets.

hole was cut into the false ceiling for the entry of the fiber cable

after that the false ceiling was seal up again.

#33 jtec14

jtec14

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (zhiz @ Jan 5 2010, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did mine already

my Id suggest that the wiring goes into the false ceiling and then goes into the trunking down the wall to the centre of the wall near the other sockets.

Problem for me is that my reno all done... did not think of this. Actually i dun mind a trunking from ceiling to suspend console but then if they have to go thru scv point(mine is hidden in console) then problem liao...don't tell me need to do a hole in console.. sad.gif

#34 zhiz

zhiz

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (jtec14 @ Jan 5 2010, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Problem for me is that my reno all done... did not think of this. Actually i dun mind a trunking from ceiling to suspend console but then if they have to go thru scv point(mine is hidden in console) then problem liao...don't tell me need to do a hole in console.. sad.gif

erm means you need to cut another hole within your console?

thats a big headache then.

alternatively put it at a corner or the wall and till the day the point is going to be use then see how. or if its just a wire its not that bad also

#35 stryke

stryke

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (zhiz @ Jan 5 2010, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did mine already

Thanks for all the info guys!

I'm planning to renovate my new resale flat after CNY so all these information will definitely come in handy, as I was planning to lay network cables for my whole flat.

When I was stationed overseas I installed FTTH for my office and the fibre cables are actually very stiff and I was under the impression that they cannot be bent/twisted.

Is this also the case for opennet's cables? Can we actually run the fibre cables via a few right angles without breaking the cable/affecting the quality of the data connection?

Can anyone advise?

#36 Mickey M

Mickey M

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (stryke @ Jan 5 2010, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for all the info guys!

I'm planning to renovate my new resale flat after CNY so all these information will definitely come in handy, as I was planning to lay network cables for my whole flat.

When I was stationed overseas I installed FTTH for my office and the fibre cables are actually very stiff and I was under the impression that they cannot be bent/twisted.

Is this also the case for opennet's cables? Can we actually run the fibre cables via a few right angles without breaking the cable/affecting the quality of the data connection?

Can anyone advise?

Hi Stryke,

I am not sure whether it will break the cable or affect the quality. But for my case, I have 4 right angles before it will reach my designated location for the opennet. My ID checked with his few electricians regarding this and was strictly advised that normal conduit plus bending radius of 10cm (minimum) for 90 degree bend is not sufficient. 1st right angle will be okie. When it comes to the 2nd one, it will get stiffer to bend. By the time it get to the 4th right angle, it will be very hard to bend and secure. For my case, the solution is to run the cable through my capentry work freely. Hard to elaborate on the solution in words but when my carpentry for my living areas are done, I will post more info regarding this.

#37 jtec14

jtec14

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (zhiz @ Jan 5 2010, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
erm means you need to cut another hole within your console?

thats a big headache then.

alternatively put it at a corner or the wall and till the day the point is going to be use then see how. or if its just a wire its not that bad also

That's what worrying me. bangwall.gif I dun mind having it behind TV or by the side of the console, but if they insist only can go through same trunking as SCV point... I think I give up installing, and if it is the only source to outside world, internet/TV in future... I think I got to isolate myself from the whole world.... that is good bye AF/HWZ/renotalk liao tongue.gif

Edited by jtec14, 05 January 2010 - 08:55 PM.

#38 stryke

stryke

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:18 AM

QUOTE (Mickey M @ Jan 5 2010, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Stryke,

I am not sure whether it will break the cable or affect the quality. But for my case, I have 4 right angles before it will reach my designated location for the opennet. My ID checked with his few electricians regarding this and was strictly advised that normal conduit plus bending radius of 10cm (minimum) for 90 degree bend is not sufficient. 1st right angle will be okie. When it comes to the 2nd one, it will get stiffer to bend. By the time it get to the 4th right angle, it will be very hard to bend and secure. For my case, the solution is to run the cable through my capentry work freely. Hard to elaborate on the solution in words but when my carpentry for my living areas are done, I will post more info regarding this.

Thanks Mickey for the reply.

I am actually planning to install a 16 port switch/hub in my storeroom, where the router and SCV box will be (for M1 BB). From there I will connect and lay ethernet cables to the rest of the rooms, terminated with RJ45 faceplates. The FTTH installation for my block is estimated to be between Mar 2010 and May 2010, and my reno is estimated to start after Feb. My storeroom is along the corridor so I reckon it should be quite safe. The fibre cable can be laid along the corridor and then through the wall into the store I assume. I will plan for a slot for the fibre termination box... alongside the SCV box and power sockets....... have to discuss with my ID and electrician once layout of flat is confirmed.

Now thinking if I should get just a GB switch/hub or a patch panel, which can be configured to include telephone line routing and even CTV routing, besides the RJ45 connections...

#39 chrisngpg

chrisngpg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (stryke @ Jan 6 2010, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Mickey for the reply.

I am actually planning to install a 16 port switch/hub in my storeroom, where the router and SCV box will be (for M1 BB). From there I will connect and lay ethernet cables to the rest of the rooms, terminated with RJ45 faceplates. The FTTH installation for my block is estimated to be between Mar 2010 and May 2010, and my reno is estimated to start after Feb. My storeroom is along the corridor so I reckon it should be quite safe. The fibre cable can be laid along the corridor and then through the wall into the store I assume. I will plan for a slot for the fibre termination box... alongside the SCV box and power sockets....... have to discuss with my ID and electrician once layout of flat is confirmed.

Now thinking if I should get just a GB switch/hub or a patch panel, which can be configured to include telephone line routing and even CTV routing, besides the RJ45 connections...

Hi Stryke, how much is it to wire up your house? I'm having a headache with the lighting cost from my electrician, so not sure what they will say about ethernet cabling!

#40 zhiz

zhiz

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (jtec14 @ Jan 5 2010, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's what worrying me. bangwall.gif I dun mind having it behind TV or by the side of the console, but if they insist only can go through same trunking as SCV point... I think I give up installing, and if it is the only source to outside world, internet/TV in future... I think I got to isolate myself from the whole world.... that is good bye AF/HWZ/renotalk liao tongue.gif

haha not so jialat lah. wireless broadband lo.

you can always get them to do a individual trunking for the fibre. they only use your existing one to prevent more trunking being done

Renovator: Renovation Budget: