Renovator: Renovation Budget:

Photo

How To Clean Grout Between Homogenous Tiles?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 his.beloved.child

his.beloved.child

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

Hi guys,

I just had shifted into my new place 6 months ago and the grout between the homogenous tile turned black. Is anyone of you facing similar problems?

Any one of you can advise how to clean the grouts between the tiles? Thanks
  • 3Dyms and 68uzouo like this

#2 SolutionProvider

SolutionProvider

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:45 AM

u can buy the staibn remover from NTUC or Cold storage.

It come in a brown slim bottle, usally place in the toilet cleaning detergent area.

#3 his.beloved.child

his.beloved.child

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:12 PM

Hi SolutionProvider,

I had tried many ways to scrub, mop etc.. and i even tried brands like Mr Muscle and some grout cleaners and the black stains still does not go away...sad.gif

QUOTE (SolutionProvider @ Nov 30 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
u can buy the staibn remover from NTUC or Cold storage.

It come in a brown slim bottle, usally place in the toilet cleaning detergent area.

#4 SolutionProvider

SolutionProvider

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:15 PM

For stubbon stain, u need to clean a few times.

Later i go to Cold Storage and see whether I still can find the brand for cleaning the grout.

If hv, I will inform u later.

#5 james1911

james1911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:21 PM

cleaning can be a very tedious task. use a good cleaner. and mop the floor first before cleaning

mix water and cleaner properly and mop out as much as possible. i live in UK and has used services of tiledepot

http://www.thetiledepot.co.uk/ checkout sm good provider in ur country

cheers

#6 SolutionProvider

SolutionProvider

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:46 AM

Hi there,

I manage to take some photos, u want me email to u?

#7 his.beloved.child

his.beloved.child

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:35 PM

Hi SolutionProvider,

Yes, can u kindly send me the pics at his.beloved.child@hotmail.com

QUOTE (SolutionProvider @ Dec 2 2009, 12:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there,

#8 ponyoblue

ponyoblue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (SolutionProvider @ Dec 2 2009, 12:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there,

Hi..hi .. i jus finish my reno, have not move in, when i check my flat ,i realised that my white grout line in my master bathroom has become brownish and look so dirty .. it is not suppose to be that way right ? my common bathroom is black tiles with black grout , now the black grout is filled with white powder , half black ,half white. Pls advise .TIA

#9 forgotten

forgotten

Gold Member

• RenoTalk Global Moderators
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:38 AM

I saw Homefix store sell solvent specifically for cleaning grouts between tiles. I haven't tried it, so don't know how effective it is.

Edited by forgotten, 05 June 2010 - 12:38 AM.

#10 dean

dean

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:06 AM

btw kitchen, living room floor tiles so hard to maintain. how to solve white patch. cleaning is so tired.

#11 katecres

katecres

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (dean @ Jun 5 2010, 01:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
btw kitchen, living room floor tiles so hard to maintain. how to solve white patch. cleaning is so tired.

The best way so far:-
1) Buy a package of magic sponge (from Korea, Japan) $4 ~ $5 per pack
The sponge is white in color, usually rectangular in shape.
Easily available from market, hardware shop etc

2) Just wet the sponge using water only and use it to clean the grout between tiles
Floor tiles, wall tiles, oil stains on cooker hook etc
Once the sponge is dirty, soaps it onto the water again and repeat the cleaning..

3) Can use it on the tiles surface as well, almost restore the floor tiles back to its original condition.

Grout clearing solution etc - waste time, waste money only and not so environmental friendly.

(Remark: For heavily stain grout, you may need steam wash + sponge clean. If this method don't work, then live with it loh)

#12 manutd1972

manutd1972

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:18 PM

i've been thinking....for those of us using white tiles....instead of trying to clean the grout lines, why not use a white paint pen and "paint" over the grout lines?

is that possible? if it is, den i guess this is the fastest and easiest way, yes?

#13 edenstrauss

edenstrauss

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:09 AM

I've tried using those Japan-imported white magic sponges which had been mentioned by katecres.

And yes it works wonders, and on provision that u bought the original not the imitations.

#14 rickoveron

rickoveron

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (edenstrauss @ Jan 4 2011, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've tried using those Japan-imported white magic sponges which had been mentioned by katecres.

And yes it works wonders, and on provision that u bought the original not the imitations.

where can i get the originals pls? those at daiso seems not.

#15 Skywire

Skywire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:43 PM

We had the same problem with the grout between our homo tiles. What we did was go to a DIY shop and bought the grout cleaner. It really works and after that we applied the grout sealer to make sure it stays clean for a longer period

Edited by Skywire, 04 January 2011 - 12:44 PM.

#16 manutd1972

manutd1972

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

ok, my ID also mentioned the Magic Sponge, but until nw, i have no bl**dy idea wat it is and where to get it. I can't visualise it so perhaps i've seen it before or walked right past it without knowing what it was. Can someone kindly post a pic of it? The REAL one and not imitation? Tks.

How does the grout sealer keep the grout lines clean for a longer period? i thot the sealer is just to protect the grout against degradation and dissolution back into its powder form?

#17 marshmallow

marshmallow

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (manutd1972 @ Jan 4 2011, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok, my ID also mentioned the Magic Sponge, but until nw, i have no bl**dy idea wat it is and where to get it. I can't visualise it so perhaps i've seen it before or walked right past it without knowing what it was. Can someone kindly post a pic of it? The REAL one and not imitation? Tks.

How does the grout sealer keep the grout lines clean for a longer period? i thot the sealer is just to protect the grout against degradation and dissolution back into its powder form?

i guess that's the white sponge sold in Daiso? got many brands and sizes smile.gif usually it comes with one long strips of white sponge.

#18 romanyao

romanyao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (his.beloved.child @ Nov 29 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys,

I just had shifted into my new place 6 months ago and the grout between the homogenous tile turned black. Is anyone of you facing similar problems?

Any one of you can advise how to clean the grouts between the tiles? Thanks

Just used a product called Mei Feng Ji which is commonly used in China, it has many colors to chose and the advertisement say it will never to be dirty or black,
will let you know the effect several months later.
it is like silicone and easy to do DIY work, the seller say it can be applied on those old houses to renew the grout.

#19 dean

dean

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

Daiso have grout paint pen $2. I bought 5. Last thu they have 10 left. Now no more at daiso ps. I think alot people buy. Art friend also have grout whiter

Edited by dean, 07 April 2012 - 10:57 PM.

#20 harky

harky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

Do anyone know this company call Sir Grout? the cleaner seen to be quite pop in US

#21 TedDibiase

TedDibiase

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:15 AM

Daiso have grout paint pen $2.

I used that before, its useless, its just like a white marker, i threw it away. It was a real

waste of time, but then again its was S$2 what could i expect :notti:

#22 dragonnite

dragonnite

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

try mrs mckenic from homefix

#23 BelindaSeah

BelindaSeah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:30 AM

I use the spnge before, it wasn't of much help at all, just seemed like a normal  sponge :(

Buy a package of magic sponge (from Korea, Japan) $4 ~ $5 per pack

#24 TanAngel

TanAngel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

Saw this Cleaning Recipe for the Grout on facebook, hope it helps~~

http://www.facebook....&type=1

#25 HockSeng

HockSeng

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

I used that before, its useless, its just like a white marker, i threw it away. It was a real

waste of time, but then again its was S$2 what could i expect :notti:

I like the way you put it, hahaha

#26 TedDibiase

TedDibiase

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:43 AM

I like the way you put it, hahaha

Thanks i try to entertain, lol

Edited by TedDibiase, 26 June 2013 - 04:44 AM.

#27 BelindaSeah

BelindaSeah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

Thanks i try to entertain, lol

It was funny though :good:

#28 funnymatthew

funnymatthew

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:40 PM

try using grey grout from the beginning.

#29 telefunken

telefunken

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:23 AM

A cheap and safe way to clean the grouts and tiles - VINEGAR.

Mix the vinegar with water (50/50) or even thinner (more water). 

Apply the mixture on stains or grouts and leave for 20 minutes or more, it wouldn't damage your tiles. 

Use a toothbrush to brush the grouts, or spounge to clean the tiles. You may find the stains or dirts become lighter or clear depands on how staburn the stain is.

Wipe with clean warm water and dry the surface with clean cloth.

Repeat  this if you need better result.

Try it. It works! Cheaply..

#30 Ziad

Ziad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

You can clean the tile using some something called HCL89.

I usually get it from http://hcl89.byethost10.com or

http://hcl89.atwebpages.com

What it does is that it cleans your wall tiles and also helps

to create a protection for it so that always remains new.

Hope this helps you out :)

#31 EricCantona

EricCantona

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:40 AM

try using grey grout from the beginning.

Well too late for that now ;)

#32 MclaurinWilliams

MclaurinWilliams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

Yes I have been facing similar problems and I am set to dicussing a few steps below.

1) you can utilize Oxygen Bleach

2) using Chlorine Bleach and Baking Soda

3) using a Steam Cleaning Machine.

If you  attempt these tips for evacuating them. Provided that it is an only a couple of spots and your floor tiles have an exceptional hard surface that won't scratch effortlessly, cleaning tiles as this ought to be simple.

#33 gemini

gemini

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

I would like to share my experiences.  Tried HG grout cleaner from Home Fix, it doesn't help.  Then I watched from youtube on using a blade to remove existing grout and to re-grout.  Looks easy and grout cost only few dollars from Home Fix.  However decided it takes too much time so didn't want to experience this.  Also tried using the baking soda + peroxide method, didn't work too well.  Finally bought a Karcher steam clearner that comes with a scrub head, and it is very effective!  But as the grout has been dirty for many years, it takes a long time to steam out the dirts.  To further experience, I applied some tile cleaners on the grout line first before steaming, and it works wonder!  The tile cleaners are not available on the shelves, my friends bought them from some sellers near the wet markets and outside OG, those mobile stalls which I wouldn't take a 2nd look when walking pass. Usually its the aunties surrounding the table where the seller do demo and talk loudly with a microphone.  But amazingly those cleaners work, and super effective.  if someone can guide me how to upload photo, i can post the photo here, and also my before and after photo.

Edited by gemini, 20 December 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#34 sgpuser

sgpuser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

Hi all, I understand your fustration, i too face such issues when i bought my resale flat. 

Recently my close friend complained that her new condo also very bad - less than 3 months will turn black. I know that there are ways to clean it using peroxide clorine etc. 

But don't do that. you must solve the root problem - which is fungus and dirt. Those grout used by commonly are white cement or some ppl even call it cornice powder etc - but they are porous and will get dark easily, and no matter how good they are, with time, they will crack and leave holes.

I have moved into my place for 1 year and so far my grout is still clean and white - and the solution i found is that you must replace the top coat of your current grout with another type - those that are waterproof and anti fungus. It comes in a bottle and you can apply and clean but trust me - it is super duper tiring. I did my whole house myself.  As for my friend, i just helped her scrapped a layer of the current grout off and applied this new grout material. It should last for at least 1 year easily. 

So i decided to go into this as part time with my dad - we will help ppl redo their grout for a small fee if you would like - typically can complete within a day. Drop me a message if you would like us to help you - especially now cny is coming, you will want your living/dining room look super clean.

#35 rosegqgraham

rosegqgraham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:25 AM

I don't lay tile enought to have that magic touch that keeps mortar out of the joints, so I usually run a "+" style tile spacer though the joints to pull out anything that gooped up. A nylon bristle brush work nicely too.

#36 WeeKiat

WeeKiat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:24 AM

Tried HG grout cleaner from Home Fix, it doesn't help.

I second this, the home fix thing is a waste of time/effort

#37 TedDibiase

TedDibiase

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:10 AM

For stubbon stain, u need to clean a few times

Lol we all know that

#38 xaleysan

xaleysan

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

Finally bought a Karcher steam clearner that comes with a scrub head, and it is very effective!  

I second the Karcher steam cleaner. 

I used to use bleach +water or the Daiso magic sponge. They either "eat up" the grout or my nails/household gloves. 

Lately I tried a small part of my living room with the steam cleaner. Am so pleased I eventually cleaned the grout in my entire flat (bit by bit, whenever I'm free and feel like cleaning) and it's more effective than anything else. No need for any cleaning agents, just hot steam and the hard bristle brush that came with the steamer. Any dark "spots" you still see are probably parts of the grout that needs to be fiilled, not dirt. 

#39 HockSeng

HockSeng

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:01 AM

I used to use bleach +water or the Daiso magic sponge. They either "eat up" the grout or my nails/household gloves. 

Bleach is corrosive, better not use it on homogeneous tiles

Designer Furniture and Ligthing Online Store Singapore

Renovator: Renovation Budget: