Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
stryke

Almost Minimalist 4a In Toa Payoh

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Took leave today as the guys from Gain City were coming to install the pipes.

There were so many things going on today, tiling, wiring, air con piping etc the whole place was like a warzone!

Well, in between, went to Taman Jurong to purchase my bathroom faucets; Jalan Besar to put down deposit for kitchen sink & tap, went to Choo Chiang at Bendemeer to pick up my Cat 6 sockets and KDK ventilation fans; THEN sent wife to her old polytechnic to pick up her transcripts, BEFORE going to Kronotex to make payment for laminate flooring. Phew!

When I got back to the flat late afternoon, the boys from Gain City were almost done and they were sealing up the trunking with silicone... till i discovered there was a leak coming from area where the pipings were coming in from the outdoors... they forgot to seal the BIG HOLE from the outside! As it was raining very heavily outside they said will come another day to seal it up. I am very concerned as I am afraid that there is water accumulated in the trunking or something. I asked one of them to stop the seepage by sealing the gaps between the inner wall and the trunking first. Should I be concerned? If they come back to seal the hole from the outside, will it be good enough? Should we take extra measures to seal the inside as well? That will mean they have to dismantle the trunking, pipes and all.

I hope someone is kind enough to advise me, as I will be installing laminate flooring in my bedrooms, and I will be boxing up the area under my window (where the air con outdoor unit will be outside), and building a wall to wall headboard there. If there is a leak I will not be able to tell in the future until the wood start to rot...

Would it be better if I ask those guys to pump some silicone into the hole first before sealing up the outside with concrete/plaster?

Well, I shall call one of the installers tomorrow and ask that he do it ASAP. The weather being so unpredictable these days.

Anyways, back to reno progress, tiling for both bathrooms are almost done.... wiring is half done.

ID said by the time I come back from my fishing trip on Sat the living room/kitchen floor tiling should be complete too. I highly doubt so.

This is the 3rd week of my reno and only the 2 bathrooms are 'almost' done!

I hope things can speed up.

Will post images of progress soon.

Shalom.

Well, in between, went to Taman Jurong to purchase my bathroom faucets; Jalan Besar to put down deposit for kitchen sink & tap, went to Choo Chiang at Bendemeer to pick up my Cat 6 sockets and KDK ventilation fans; THEN sent wife to her old polytechnic to pick up her transcripts, BEFORE going to Kronotex to make payment for laminate flooring. Phew!

hey stryke, may i know how much you paid for your KDK ventilation fan? and also, how do you plan to install it? will you need to change your windows?

hey stryke, may i know how much you paid for your KDK ventilation fan? and also, how do you plan to install it? will you need to change your windows?

hi, I paid 118 excluding GST for each fan, 20WHA. as I am changng the windows for my whole flat, my ID already gave the cut out dimensions to the window fabricator to do. They will be using laminate safety glass. HDB requirement.

He electrician will install it for me

Edited by stryke

wow, congrats!!

very much looking forward to your after-reno pics of the house. must be very very swee!

Edited by serene85

hi, I paid 118 excluding GST for each fan, 20WHA. as I am changng the windows for my whole flat, my ID already gave the cut out dimensions to the window fabricator to do. They will be using laminate safety glass. HDB requirement.

He electrician will install it for me

i see...ok thanks for the info.. :)

Hi all,

Sorry haven't been updating for so long.

So a little bit of updates on the progress:

• tiling is almost complete

• plastering is completed except for some touching up

• wiring is also complete

• all windows installed (i'm very unhappy with the workmanship, but more on that later)

• ceiling works and boxing up is ongoing

• air cond trunking is done

• water/gas pipes done (i'm also not happy with water pipes workmanship)

So here are the images of WIP:

Hacking Works

RenoDay1-0015.jpg

RenoDay1-0017.jpg

RenoDay1-0020.jpg

RenoDay1-0024.jpg

RenoDay1-0016.jpg

Hacking works were quite quick. By the end of 2nd day all hacking were complete. Contractors even removed all my window grilles and air con left behind by ex owner. Probably sold them for a handsome scrap price.

By the 3rd day, the debris are removed and the materials for wetworks were loaded up, including my tiles.

Wetworks

P1010881.jpg

P1010892.jpg

P1010900.jpg

P1010891.jpg

P1010896.jpg

The started with the MBR tiling first, followed by the common toilet.

I felt that the whole progress was a tad slow. When I go up to check almost every day, there was only 1 tiler working on the flat.

ID said no choice as his workers are involved in 5 concurrent projects with him, but he assures everything will be on schedule.

Plastering

Plastering for living/dining, kitchen, 2 bedrooms took about 2 days to finish, and not fully completed, as building materials were in the MBR. So the plastering workers have to come back another day to finish the toilets, MBR and service yard. I think that beyond this point the workflow has started to cock up.

What followed was wiring work and piping, even before whole house plastering was completed, which resulted in some areas not being plastered to my satisfaction as those area are being hindered by the pipes and trunking etc.

Generally speaking the plastering workmanship is quite good, except that i find some uneven patches here and there but ID said these will be rectified during painting stage, as the painters will sand down the plaster to make the surfaces even.

RenoProgress-1010902.jpg

RenoProgress-1010905.jpg

RenoProgress-1010912.jpg

RenoProgress-1010915.jpg

RenoProgress-1010904.jpg

Tiling Works for Common Toilet

COmmon toilet tiling progress was much faster. Done in about 2 days. I'm quite satisfied with the workmanship and speed. Also am very happy that we chose light tiles that ID recommended as the bathroom has no natural light coming in after we sealed the windows.

RenoProgress-1010914.jpg

RenoProgress-1010919.jpg

RenoProgress-1010917.jpg

Air-Con Trunking

RenoProgress-0052.jpg

RenoProgress-0053.jpg

RenoProgress-0056.jpg

RenoProgress-1010938.jpg

RenoProgress-1010945.jpg

The air cond guy came to my place yesterday to patch up the holes that was leaking water. I insisted that he should come do it before i install my laminate flooring. He was very glad to oblige. To my knowledge, if there is any fault in the installation workmanship, the workers's incentives will be deducted. By insisting they do a good job and finishing, I'm kinda helping them too lah.

Wiring Works

RenoProgress-1010937.jpg

RenoProgress-1010946.jpg

RenoProgress-1010949.jpg

RenoProgress-1010962.jpg

RenoProgress-1010975.jpg

Now I am quite happy with the speed and workmanship of the electrician. The Tan brothers. The elder Tan, who I believe is the boss, was very friendly and explained to me why they prefer to use Haager switches instead of Legrand Mallia, which was what I requested. The Legrand 4-ganag switch tend to have a problem, such that the rockers will not align properly. I checked with Choo Chiang and they said they have had complains from customers before as well. Well anyways I think Legrand are okay bah, since I already bought the Cat6 sockets and I need to have 4 gang light switch, that Haager don't have.

What I find disatisfactory is that the wiring works are complete even before plastering is complete, which means my MBR and service balcony is not going to have fully plastered walls and ceiling. True enough, the plastering guys left the MBR false ceiling area unplastered. I am not happy.

Also the water pipes were run before they can finish plastering for the service blacony. And the result of which is not satisfactory surfacing.

Pictures in next post.

Piping

RenoProgress-1010968.jpg

RenoProgress-1010971.jpg

RenoProgress-1010973.jpg

RenoProgress-1010977.jpg

RenoProgress-1010978.jpg

I find that the piping, especially at the main pipes at service balcony, very poorly ran. some parts do not even sit on the brackets properly. Although those area are gonna be boxed up, it still irks me to know underneath its so messy and unsightly.

Tiling for Living, Kitchen, Service Balcony

I was away for my fishing trip in Rompin, Malaysia for 2 days.

Went over to see the place on Saturday, tiling for major area already done. Very happy.

RenoProgress-1010994.jpg

RenoProgress-1010991.jpg

RenoProgress-1010996.jpg

RenoProgress-1010998.jpg