Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
blackwhite

Ikea Kitchen

From their 2010 and 2011, I see that IKEA has a whole range of complete kitchen design options. Went down to their Alexandra store to take a look - saw that some were solid wood whiles others are compressed wood.

Anyone had experience with IKEA kitchen - ie installed a kitchen design from IKEA. Saw other post on specific kitchen items but not a full one. Wish to know whether if it was durable, whether one shld include them before or after the kitchen has been built.

My current kitchen is customed built (by a Malaysian contractor) - about 9 year old and already lamination is coming apart. Otherwise the workmanship was good - I inspected the works as it was being built so knew what they did "behind".

Thank you.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I have lots of kitchen remodel ideas and view. You can use many cheap and affordable things at low cost. If you want to remodel your kitchen, bathroom and house than [remove for self-advertising] may help you.

From their 2010 and 2011, I see that IKEA has a whole range of complete kitchen design options. Went down to their Alexandra store to take a look - saw that some were solid wood whiles others are compressed wood.

Anyone had experience with IKEA kitchen - ie installed a kitchen design from IKEA. Saw other post on specific kitchen items but not a full one. Wish to know whether if it was durable, whether one shld include them before or after the kitchen has been built.

My current kitchen is customed built (by a Malaysian contractor) - about 9 year old and already lamination is coming apart. Otherwise the workmanship was good - I inspected the works as it was being built so knew what they did "behind".

Thank you.

Hi, now wonder if you used Ikea kitchen in the end? I am considering them too so would love to hear some feedback. From my talking with them so far, the downside is the "Modular" approach, since theirs all come in standard size. Eg. I hope the top cabinet can go all the way to ceiling but not possible with Ikea. So they have standard height top cabinet and box up the part above. Another more annoying thing is their cabinet legs. I dont understand why they can not build onto my current concert plinth, but have to have legs. And then have some ply wood board clip onto the legs for front view. I can not imagine take those small boards at the base on and off every time when mopping the kitchen floor! :o Is that really how anyone use ikea kitchen would be happy to do? :rolleyes:

Thanks for any sharing!

Hi, now wonder if you used Ikea kitchen in the end? I am considering them too so would love to hear some feedback. From my talking with them so far, the downside is the "Modular" approach, since theirs all come in standard size. Eg. I hope the top cabinet can go all the way to ceiling but not possible with Ikea. So they have standard height top cabinet and box up the part above. Another more annoying thing is their cabinet legs. I dont understand why they can not build onto my current concert plinth, but have to have legs. And then have some ply wood board clip onto the legs for front view. I can not imagine take those small boards at the base on and off every time when mopping the kitchen floor! :o Is that really how anyone use ikea kitchen would be happy to do? :rolleyes:

Thanks for any sharing!

Just to add on. The price quoted by Ikea is about the same as from contractor. It is a bit surprising since with contractor, everything is customized. I saw some complain about contractor used by Ikea here, which is disappointing, but Ikea does correct after complain. While with those contractors, generally small firms, where do you complain to when their work is not up to standard?

Still thinking...

Hi there, my hubby and I are looking around for renovation advise and ideas for our new home in Punggol.

We are also wondering if anyone had any experience to share regarding Ikea kitchens and renovations?

Hi there, my hubby and I are looking around for renovation advise and ideas for our new home in Punggol.

We are also wondering if anyone had any experience to share regarding Ikea kitchens and renovations?

My fried is an Ikea fan and whole house was done up with Ikea furnitures incl kitchen

he suggest that don't get Ikea kitchen as the laminates don't last.(start to peel after 2.5 years)

installation price is high (approx $1000)

IKEA's kitchen concept is catered for European lifestyle and generally not Asian cooking.

The European kitchen is used for baking, roasting in the oven and washing of dishes in a dish washer. Whereas for Asians, we do alot of stir-frying which requires alot of washing on the sink. And even with a kitchen hood, it isn't fool-proof because fumes and oil fumes would still make their way elsewhere, staining its surroundings.

As such, the IKEA kitchen is not for those who does alot of "heavy" cooking in the kitchen.

And, only the doors of certain models e.g. oak, are made of solid wood. The cabinets are made of compressed wood.

The IKEA kitchen staff cautioned me that if water ever gets onto the cabinets, I'm supposed to clean up & wipe it dry IMMEDIATELY. Otherwise, it'll start to warp. Without fail with compressed wood.

We did our own installation for both wall and base cabinets; and got our cabinet top from an external vendour. So all in all, we spent below $2k for our kitchen cabinets.