Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
floppy

Our Home In Punggol: Treelodge@punggol

After waiting for more than 3 years, our flat in Punggol is finally ready. I am probably one of the first owners to collect the keys from the project, even though I won't be able to start any renovation until November 2010 as I will be away on holiday. Nevertheless, with the keys to my flat in hand, I'm now able to detail my renovation progress in this t-Blog.

A little introduction about the project:

Treelodge@Punggol (Chinese: 绿馨苑) is Singapore’s First Green Mark Platinum Award Public Housing Project. The Eco-Precinct was launched in March 2007 under the Build-To-Order (HDB) Scheme. Located in Punggol New Town, at the junction of Punggol Road, Punggol Drive and Punggol Place, Treelodge@Punggol is just a few minutes’ walk from the future Town Centre, Punggol MRT/LRT Station station and the Punggol Bus Interchange.

An artist rendering of the project:

image001.jpg

Edited by floppy

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The project consists of 712 units of Premium flats housed in seven 16-storey residential blocks. There are 98 units of 3-room flats, 600 units of 4-room flats and 14 units of 5-room loft units. Like (almost) everyone else who donated $10 to the HDB lucky draw, we were aiming for one of the 14 units of 5-room loft units. Unfortunately, our queue number was rather large and we had to missed out on those units. Still, we are happy with what we had got and pleased with the unit that we had selected eventually.

Floorplan

Treelodge_Floorplan.jpg

Edited by floppy

Some time ago (way before the keys were ready), I came upon Google SketchUp. It was a wonderful and easy tool to pick up. Combined with a library of plugins and 3D warehouse, it can be as professional and true-to-life as I wanted it to be. The basic Google SketchUp is definitely good enough and it had helped me to come up with a 3D rendering of the unit that I had chosen. These images helped as I could now visualise how the items/design I wanted could all come together.

Top View

Our_Home_Floorplan_Top.jpg

Isometric Views

Our_Home_Floorplan_Iso1.jpg

Our_Home_Floorplan_Iso2.jpg

floppy? frm the grp buy?

haha...

is been awhile huh!

will sure be a busy busy period once you're back from your holidays!

welcome to tblog and happy reno-ing ya

floppy? frm the grp buy?

haha...

is been awhile huh!

will sure be a busy busy period once you're back from your holidays!

welcome to tblog and happy reno-ing ya

yup... from the group buy. thanks for the group buy as well, i manage to save quite a fair bit (of time and money) there! :)

won't be starting reno so soon. still searching for contractor, and waiting for contractors to get back to me.

yup... from the group buy. thanks for the group buy as well, i manage to save quite a fair bit (of time and money) there! :)

won't be starting reno so soon. still searching for contractor, and waiting for contractors to get back to me.

you're welcome. i saved from my own purchases too. mutually beneficial. haha

yea, look ard. there are some really hot favorites contractor here

congrats on your key collection floppy. like u i donated 10 bux in return for queue number 2xxx. :P:P:P anyways, happy searching for ur ideal contractor/id. of cse, having just completd my reno, i would very strongly recommend my id. but of cse, take ur time n choose. ;)

you're welcome. i saved from my own purchases too. mutually beneficial. haha

yea, look ard. there are some really hot favorites contractor here

congrats on your key collection floppy. like u i donated 10 bux in return for queue number 2xxx. :P:P:P anyways, happy searching for ur ideal contractor/id. of cse, having just completd my reno, i would very strongly recommend my id. but of cse, take ur time n choose. ;)

hi darth vader, thanks. took a peep at your t-blog, looks interesting. will definitely shortlist them for consideration. however, got to be honest, we are currently opting for contractor and not id due to budget constraints.

my wife and myself have spoken to a number of contractors, including some hot favourites ;) so far, among all those that we have spoken to, jaskel impressed us the most. as of now, we are still waiting on his quote as we won't be able to commit without seeing the 'figures'. understand that he's quite busy, hopefully, he can squeeze some time and take up our project :lol:

Edited by floppy

Having collected our keys and having taken a look/inspected our new home, these are our initial thoughts.

The Good

We’ve heard countless horror stories of HDB’s construction in the past. Thankfully, for our new place, the construction and workmanship are generally acceptable. In fact, we have found very little defects in the new place. Most of the defects are minor and they could be rectified quickly and easily. The only defect that we’re a little concern with is the hollow timber skirting. I’m not sure whether if it’s the way timber skirting are done, most of it seem to be hollow at regular interval. On the other hand, am I a little too fussy (paranoid)?

Overall, the main contractor for this project, Kay Lim Construction, seems to have done a good job, not just for the housing units but for the precinct’s general surrounding as well.

The Bad

The pet peeve we have with the unit - the house is too damned small! The size of the newer flats is really a rude awakening for people who are used to living in our parents’ much bigger dwellings. Sadly, with the exception of buying a resale or a private apartment, there’s nothing we could do if a new flat is what we are after.

The Ugly

While there are very little defects in terms of construction and workmanship, we really have to question the design sense of the architect/contractor/tiler who approved the toilet’s design. IMHO, even plain wall tiles would have looked much better than this.

mastertoilet1.jpg

If this is their idea of a postmodern design, I’ve got to say, they have failed pretty badly.

Edited by floppy

mastertoilet1.jpg

If this is their idea of a postmodern design, I’ve got to say, they have failed pretty badly.

Hey there!

hahaha HDB toilet design are horrible! Mine was blue with flowers :( i nearly cried... i would have much rather had ur design. lol but i guess the grass is always greener on the either side? :P

I agree with u, plain wall tiles would have looked way better.

Good luck for ur reno.. what kind of theme are u going for? :)