Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
floppy

Our Home In Punggol: Treelodge@punggol

Hey there!

hahaha HDB toilet design are horrible! Mine was blue with flowers :( i nearly cried... i would have much rather had ur design. lol but i guess the grass is always greener on the either side? :P

I agree with u, plain wall tiles would have looked way better.

Good luck for ur reno.. what kind of theme are u going for? :)

haha. yah, guess we can't always expect everything to be perfect. the toilet is probably hdb way of making sure that the law of polarity is at work.

i'm a simple and boring person, so my house theme would be to ensure that everything is stripped down to its most simple (essential) and boring (fundamental) form.

Edited by floppy

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
woah! what is HDB doing with those wall tiles? *faint*

oh is that i tap on toilet bowl? :)

seems to me that the contractors had ran out of wall tiles and had to make do with what they had in stock. it's either that or the tiler had a sudden inspiration to attempt a 'mosaic'-look (but failed miserably) to spruce up the look.

yup. it's a tap on the toilet bowl. every time you flush, a portion of the water (18%) will flow through that tap before ending up in the toilet bowl below for the next flush. guess it's meant for us to wash hand or something :D the whole ideal is to go in line with eco-friendliness (re-use) as the precinct is meant to be eco-friendly (first hdb's green mark platinium award).

p/s: personally, i find it less than useful :P

Edited by floppy

seems to me that the contractors had ran out of wall tiles and had to make do with what they had in stock. it's either that or the tiler had a sudden inspiration to attempt a 'mosaic'-look (but failed miserably) to spruce up the look.

yup. it's a tap on the toilet bowl. every time you flush, a portion of the water (18%) will flow through that tap before ending up in the toilet bowl below for the next flush. guess it's meant for us to wash hand or something :D the whole ideal is to go in line with eco-friendliness (re-use) as the precinct is meant to be eco-friendly (first hdb's green mark platinium award).

p/s: personally, i find it less than useful :P

going to do anything to the wall? :unsure:

i tot the tap is pretty cool...ha...save some water...

just curious any more "eco friendly" features in the house?

going to do anything to the wall? :unsure:

i tot the tap is pretty cool...ha...save some water...

just curious any more "eco friendly" features in the house?

My first thought was to overlay the tiles. However, pragmatism sets in eventually. I'm still weighing the cost of overlaying it vs living with it. Another alternative would be to install a longer mirror and a cabinet below the sink. It should, at least, serve some practical purposes and reduce the 'exposure' of the tiles.

Besides the tap, the only additional feature in the house is the FerroLite partition wall system:

"Designed to reduce noise transmission between rooms, the flats come fitted with the patented FerroLite partition wall system. The wall is essentially non-load bearing and made of ferrocement. As compared to other cement-based partition walls, the hollow core of the FerroLite wall cuts down on the need for raw materials like cement and sand. In addition, services can be installed and concealed within the wall with minimal wet works and without the need for hacking."

The other Eco-friendly features are found in the precinct: LED for common lighting, solar panels, rainwater collection, recycling chute, etc.

mastertoilet1.jpg

OMG!! :jawdrop:

hmm.. but guess its really up to indviduals ba, i was showing to my mum this pic and she say the wall is very well-done and looks great! haha.. guess the person who approved this design is from my mum era! :P

Having collected our keys and having taken a look/inspected our new home, these are our initial thoughts.

The Good

We’ve heard countless horror stories of HDB’s construction in the past. Thankfully, for our new place, the construction and workmanship are generally acceptable. In fact, we have found very little defects in the new place. Most of the defects are minor and they could be rectified quickly and easily. The only defect that we’re a little concern with is the hollow timber skirting. I’m not sure whether if it’s the way timber skirting are done, most of it seem to be hollow at regular interval. On the other hand, am I a little too fussy (paranoid)?

Overall, the main contractor for this project, Kay Lim Construction, seems to have done a good job, not just for the housing units but for the precinct’s general surrounding as well.

The Bad

The pet peeve we have with the unit - the house is too damned small! The size of the newer flats is really a rude awakening for people who are used to living in our parents’ much bigger dwellings. Sadly, with the exception of buying a resale or a private apartment, there’s nothing we could do if a new flat is what we are after.

The Ugly

While there are very little defects in terms of construction and workmanship, we really have to question the design sense of the architect/contractor/tiler who approved the toilet’s design. IMHO, even plain wall tiles would have looked much better than this.

mastertoilet1.jpg

If this is their idea of a postmodern design, I’ve got to say, they have failed pretty badly.

Congrats on collection of keys!! :good: I'm also waiting to collect mine for cityview...can't wait to get the keys and see our new nest...agree that newer flats are so much smaller than parents' era...my parents' 3-rm MBR is much bigger than my new LVR man...

OMG!! :jawdrop:

hmm.. but guess its really up to indviduals ba, i was showing to my mum this pic and she say the wall is very well-done and looks great! haha.. guess the person who approved this design is from my mum era! :P

:D yah man, i think folks from that generation will probably enjoy/like this 'look'. i envy you, punggol vista has a much better looking toilet walls!

Congrats on collection of keys!! :good: I'm also waiting to collect mine for cityview...can't wait to get the keys and see our new nest...agree that newer flats are so much smaller than parents' era...my parents' 3-rm MBR is much bigger than my new LVR man...

err... no need to use the master bedroom. my current bedroom (old 4a) is already bigger than the new living room :bangwall:

like it or not, guess it's something we have to learn to adjust and get used to.

Edited by floppy

On the topic of keys, we are glad that our house keys came in a nice looking pouch. While it may not make much of a difference to the keys, it does make us feel better after paying a @#$% high price for what is essentially 'public' housing.

Keypouch.jpg

Thesetofkeys-letterboxmaindoorandmaingat

In additional to the key pouch, HDB also provided us with a document holder to keep all the important documents (i.e. stack of stuff we didn't bother to read) neatly. HDB service standard has definitely improved :D (but I wonder who is paying for these anyway?)

Stacksofdocuments.jpg

Edited by floppy

The Ugly

While there are very little defects in terms of construction and workmanship, we really have to question the design sense of the architect/contractor/tiler who approved the toilet’s design. IMHO, even plain wall tiles would have looked much better than this.

mastertoilet1.jpg

If this is their idea of a postmodern design, I’ve got to say, they have failed pretty badly.

hey, congrats on yr key collection ya!

and yes, i always wonder how the heck those ppl get their job in the first place as architect/id at hdb. their colors are so off sometimes!

have you seen some of the old hdb block being repainted on the exterior? is horrenduous and downright ugly. wonder if that is their intention to make a distinction between hdb and private

We've met up with the shortlisted contractor and have 'more or less' decided on the amount of renovation that we need. Waiting for the final quotation before we can confirm and start our renovation from November. Hoping for a smooth renovation and we can shift in before the year is over.

Pre-Renovation Pictures

Living Room:

livingroom.jpg

Corridor to the Bedrooms:

corridor.jpg

Pre-Renovation Pictures

Kitchen:

kitchen.jpg

i serious dun understand how come when they lay the wall tiles for kitchen, they have to add in a few tiles of different colours running along the middle.. it looks weird n old-fashioned lo.. give me a real headache on how i can hide these wall tiles.. hmm.. :rolleyes:

i serious dun understand how come when they lay the wall tiles for kitchen, they have to add in a few tiles of different colours running along the middle.. it looks weird n old-fashioned lo.. give me a real headache on how i can hide these wall tiles.. hmm.. :rolleyes:

kitchen not so bad lah. once the cabinets up, can't see much :D

new flat from hdb, have to live with it.