•      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Renovator: Renovation Budget:

Photo

Kitchen Table Tops - What Material Is Best?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 sgdstuff

sgdstuff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:22 PM

Hi,

Having fail to kick off our Reno project last year due to the arrival of our princess, we are quite determine to kick start it sometime next yeat and here I am trying to do some research on Kitchen Table Tops.

Typically, we do lot's of cooking and my wife loves to bake as well hence we would like to do some research on which Kitchen Table top is 1. Durable & 2. Easy Maintenance & 3. if possible, does not cost a bomb.

Btw, mine's is a 4rm HDB and I think the total length of the table top would be somewhere in the region of 34 to 36ft long.

Thanks in advance!

#2 leechaorui

leechaorui

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (sgdstuff @ Oct 18 2010, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Having fail to kick off our Reno project last year due to the arrival of our princess, we are quite determine to kick start it sometime next yeat and here I am trying to do some research on Kitchen Table Tops.

Typically, we do lot's of cooking and my wife loves to bake as well hence we would like to do some research on which Kitchen Table top is 1. Durable & 2. Easy Maintenance & 3. if possible, does not cost a bomb.

Btw, mine's is a 4rm HDB and I think the total length of the table top would be somewhere in the region of 34 to 36ft long.

Thanks in advance!

You may want to try stainless steel or granite top. smile.gif

#3 Flatster

Flatster

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (sgdstuff @ Oct 18 2010, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

34~36ft? your kitchen must be very huge ohmy.gif !

My kitchen can only fit in 20~22ft soild surface table top ( 12ft at one side with opposite of another 8~10ft) sad.gif .

btw, my 4 rooms flat is 4A model with 111 m/sq area.

Edited by Flatster, 18 October 2010 - 09:38 PM.

#4 sgdstuff

sgdstuff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (Flatster @ Oct 18 2010, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
34~36ft? your kitchen must be very huge ohmy.gif !

My kitchen can only fit in 20~22ft soild surface table top ( 12ft at one side with opposite of another 8~10ft) sad.gif .

btw, my 4 rooms flat is 4A model with 111 m/sq area.

Mine's a 4A as well and belongs to those Door-Door design layout i.e. each floor only 2 units other than the lift landing floor and the total area is only 104sqm........ My kitchen's shape is the rectangular one......

Maybe I should go check the length again...... maybe the ID who had quoted me anyhow measure.... he told me that one side of my kitchen is about 29ft and the other side I'm requesting for another 5ft preparation counter.....

#5 mafacifa

mafacifa

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:48 PM

i would suggest to go for plywood postform. cheap and good and wider choices. and its scratch resistance.

#6 palin

palin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:50 PM

I believe the three common materials are:
1) Solid top
2) Granite
3) Caesarstone

Solid top is the cheapest ranging from $80 - $130/ft run. If you're using white colour, advisable to use the more expensive acrylic top due to non-stain, non-yellowing properties.

#7 etoh77

etoh77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:51 PM

hi, u can consider quartz. Me also abt to start on my reno soon, and we've been advised to use quartz instead of the usual solid top or granite. quartz is supposed to be scratch, heat, water proof etc. u can check with your contractor on the price, but its def much more pricier than the usual solid surface.

#8 doubl3a

doubl3a

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:27 PM

Doing my reno now. Chose quartz too.

#9 etoh77

etoh77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (doubl3a @ Oct 19 2010, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doing my reno now. Chose quartz too.

oh, so what colour did u choose? also caesarstone? me taking the jet black.

#10 Leslyn Tan

Leslyn Tan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

caesarstone - Quartz - Snow white color for my kichten table top smile.gif

#11 sgdstuff

sgdstuff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

Seems Quartz is quite well-received...... Can anyone give me a rough idea on how much to expect per sq ft on quartz?

#12 angkt

angkt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (sgdstuff @ Oct 21 2010, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seems Quartz is quite well-received...... Can anyone give me a rough idea on how much to expect per sq ft on quartz?

I seem to recall hearing that some stone materials are porous and allow moisture/bacteria to accumulate. I think granite seems to have that problem. Not sure with Quartz. I just finished my reno, and after reviewing the information back then, I choose solid surface top. Cost wise, it was the most economical (unless you use wood laminates).

Suggest you do a bit more googling...

#13 sgdstuff

sgdstuff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (angkt @ Oct 21 2010, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I seem to recall hearing that some stone materials are porous and allow moisture/bacteria to accumulate. I think granite seems to have that problem. Not sure with Quartz. I just finished my reno, and after reviewing the information back then, I choose solid surface top. Cost wise, it was the most economical (unless you use wood laminates).

Thanks angkt for the info.

Any Bros & Sis can provide any further insight/feedback or even experiences if Granite & Quartz are porous and allow moisture/bacteria to accumulate?

Thanks ain advance.

Edited by sgdstuff, 21 October 2010 - 02:19 PM.

#14 therat

therat

Senior Moderator

• RenoTalk Global Moderators
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

This is the sink that previous owner use.
I think is Granite.
I don't know how long actually they had use it.
My guess is 5 yrs +/-

The stain all eat into the kitchen top

#15 etoh77

etoh77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (sgdstuff @ Oct 21 2010, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks angkt for the info.

Any Bros & Sis can provide any further insight/feedback or even experiences if Granite & Quartz are porous and allow moisture/bacteria to accumulate?

Thanks ain advance.

Quartz is supposedly much harder and scratch-proof, leak-proof and heat resistant than even granite. U can google more abt it. I also read abt quartz by searching older posts in this forum. There are 2 brands in the mkt, Caesarstone and Silestone.
for the resale flat i bought, the previous owner used solid surface (black), and after only 2 yrs of usage which i believed they do not really maintain, there are water marks and lots of cut marks (think they do cutting directly on the surface) and also white patches prob due to hot pots directly on the surface. Thats why decided to use quartz. For the price, u can chk directly with distributer or find contractor whom may get better price. gd luck!

#16 palin

palin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:33 AM

I'm being quoted $200-220 per foot run for caesarstone. Anyone know where/how to get it cheaper?

#17 Eurypylus

Eurypylus

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE (palin @ Oct 23 2010, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm being quoted $200-220 per foot run for caesarstone. Anyone know where/how to get it cheaper?

That's already a very good price.

#18 red33

red33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:23 PM

Anyone familiar with solid tops?I believe got several brands...
It's supposed to be man made,no join line etc...

#19 Scribbler

Scribbler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:07 PM

Hi all,
Granite is a naturally formed stone, therefore, to be used as a worktop especially in the kitchen it should be coated with a sealant every year to protect the porosity barrier.
Natural stone needs a bit more maintenance.
As for solid surface, all the whites will actually yellow over time, whether it's top end Corian or low-end brands. As for blacks, carpenters always advise not to take solid black as the scratches and marks will show up very clearly; better to take the ones with aggregates in them to 'mask' the imperfection.
For the sake of my pocket, I will be considering solid surface.

#20 Scribbler

Scribbler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

Oh, as for Caesarstone, this is actually a compressed quartz.
You can get compressed quartz below $200 at rice-fields; better to go to their showroom.
Solid surface - better to get Corian, Cresto, Samsung etc... some other brands are really cheap but because there is more polyester than acrylic in them.
Hope this helps.

#21 feizhu

feizhu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:23 PM

I intend to do granite for my home because we do a lot of cooking and baking and solid surface isn't exactly very heat resistent. Got a quote for $110/ft run for black galaxy which I think is a very good price. Quartz is way out of budget.

#22 luvalist

luvalist

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

I am looking for kitchen table tops for my new house.

Came across "Stone Italiana" when watching Channel 8.
The owner used it for 10 years and his wife cut ingredients on the table top itself.
and it's scratch proof. still look pretty white.

Have anyone use this and any comments or thoughts?
I am looking for pure white kitchen tops tongue.gif

#23 Chanel26

Chanel26

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

I have just resawn and planed some solid cherry for a new kitchen table top.
I, too, plan on breadboard ends.
Im making it 5/8 thick to save on some weight.

Fortunately I have access to a 36 sander. But you might try a local cabinet shop. Sometimes if pays to pay a little money to get the job done right. And you might find another source of inexpensive lumber. Or a kindred soul.

#24 matrix0405

matrix0405

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (mafacifa @ Oct 19 2010, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i would suggest to go for plywood postform. cheap and good and wider choices. and its scratch resistance.

this is the most understated. but contractor don recommend any more because not must money to make from it.

#25 insidenews

insidenews

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:28 AM

granite should be good, i guess.

#26 gurustyle

gurustyle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

Granite & Quartz should be good.

Just trying out, I use granite for my sink top & quartz for stove top.
Stone Italiana is quartz mainly.

#27 Eurypylus

Eurypylus

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:02 AM

As my co and myself prefer light coloured top, we ops for caesarstone.
While we have yet to officially move in, I see that the caesarstone top is not as shiny smooth as solid surface top.

#28 gurustyle

gurustyle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:48 PM

For long-term usage, granite or quartz is best.

Solid surface, no matter what brand, they are still the same - acrylic or polyester are still the same.
For Granite, best is India Granite, choose the better quality like Blue Pearl or Emerald Pearl.

I am thinking to do Blue Pearl for my living room flooring, but cost more than marble.

I think you could see luster or spark effect if you had spotlight on Blue Pearl, Emerald Pearl & selected Quartz color kitchen top.

Edited by gurustyle, 08 February 2011 - 08:03 PM.

#29 tanglc

tanglc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (gurustyle @ Feb 8 2011, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For long-term usage, granite or quartz is best.

Solid surface, no matter what brand, they are still the same - acrylic or polyester are still the same.
For Granite, best is India Granite, choose the better quality like Blue Pearl or Emerald Pearl.

I am thinking to do Blue Pearl for my living room flooring, but cost more than marble.

I think you could see luster or spark effect if you had spotlight on Blue Pearl, Emerald Pearl & selected Quartz color kitchen top.

do you know how much india granite sells for?

#30 BlueFly

BlueFly

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (Chanel26 @ Jan 18 2011, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have just resawn and planed some solid cherry for a new kitchen table top.
I, too, plan on breadboard ends.
I’m making it 5/8” thick to save on some weight.

Fortunately I have access to a 36” sander. But you might try a local cabinet shop. Sometimes if pays to pay a little money to get the job done right. And you might find another source of inexpensive lumber. Or a kindred soul.

Hi Chanel26,

How's yr solid cherry tabletop? Care to post some photos?

I completed my reno and installed my kitchen worktop abt 3 yrs ago. I chose an acrylic worktop:

If I have to do it again, I probably won't choose acrylic, esp not from the subcon or factory my ID got the worktop from.

Who's the supplier? Well, find out from my blog. Posting the name now 3 yrs later could be misconstrued as 'intentional' defamatory. But not if it was posted at the time my ID/Contractor did the reno. Also, I blogged about my worktop installation, how to choose and maintain work-tops (e.g. granite, Silestone, Corian, etc) and lessons learnt.

I think if I have to re-do my kitchen worktop again I will probably go for solid cherry or beech available from Ikea. Or solid glass top. Which unfortunately is still not available locally but is very popular in the US. So knowing how your cherry top turned out will be very interesting for me.

I can still live with my acrylic worktop for now. But in future if I get the itch I may redo the worktop again, as I ensured at the time my worktop was installed that it could easily be replaced in future - just lift up in one whole piece from the kitchen cabinet base and replace with a new worktop cut-to-measure!! That was an idea to rectify my choice "just-in-case". In retrospect turns out to be good foresight! tongue.gif

Single solid acrylic worktop piece measured to fit exactly my counter-top

Edited by BlueFly, 23 February 2011 - 02:58 PM.

#31 BlueFly

BlueFly

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:34 AM

hi :

if you're still researching on worktop material, i forgot to mention cement worktop. it's versatile and gaining in popularity as a material. so far however i hv not been able to garner much info as regard local suppliers frm my research. seems you may need to import, an option ruled out for the present as freight costs will be high.

here's a link to show cement worktops can be beautiful if proper mfr'ed. i m doubtful local mfr'ers hv the technology or eqt; but i hv seen some S'porean homes using cement worktops featured in local design mags last year. Am still trying to search for that pic on-line to show you. Still no success. the local cement wktop featured was cast and concreted, so it didn't look anywhere near the foreign one shown in the link above. Cement in its raw screed and form just don't cut it for me, at least not yet - unless you are into the "industrial" look! rolleyes.gif

Also, note if local suppliers are able to produce locally be careful of their integrity as there's no quality yardstick or standards imposed by local auth. Not any that i know of. my poor user experience with my acrylic wktop came to mind in this regard. so very likely cement wktops can be made locally, but individually by yr builder/contractor instd of by a factory supplier.

cheers

Edited by BlueFly, 11 March 2011 - 07:36 AM.

#32 BlueFly

BlueFly

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE (angkt @ Oct 21 2010, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Suggest you do a bit more googling...

The info about bacteria is found in my old post Worktops - How to Choose which I revamped and recast into shorter articles as a "How To's" series to make it easier for readers to locate info on my blog. The para on the bacteria is found towards the end of the old post:

"One interesting thing happened on our latest round of testing. The sealed products bred bacteria by a huge factor over unsealed granite. So much so that we are repeating the test to look for errors. Another result that was not going to be appreciated was a microban infused quartz product that performed poorly, very poorly although it grew mostly general coliform bacteria, it grew a lot of them. It will be re tested as well. So much can go wrong when you are dealing with microbiology testing, it pays to retest and be conservative."

In the revamped post, the above para is now in the shorter post titled "For Your Further Reference".

+++

My take on the bacteria issue: although we should view the info with concern, I 've not heard of anyone falling sick due to contaminated granite worktops. So it may not be too serious to worry about, though it is prudent to take note of. Esp for those who have family members recovering from cancer. As you know, cancer patients hv very low immunity levels in their bods, and are more susceptible to bacterial food poisoning.

Bacteria is ever present all around us - in various concentrations - in prepared foods (Yes!!) and on surfaces. The natural immune system in normal healthy ppl usually is sufficient to overcome majority of the bacteria present in foods and surfaces. However, if the bacteria colony rapidly multiplies in badly contaminated foods (recall the Geylang rojak case?) to a high concentration, ppl get food-poisoned bcoz the immune system can't cope with the high level of bacteria produced. I recalled at least 1 died in that incident (3-4 died?), but the rest (100+) who had diarrhea recovered in hospital. Others who also patronized the stall but didn't show symptoms were bcoz their immune systems were very healthy. Lesson? Don't only maintain yr "physical" external health but also yr "internal" health - yr immune level.

Many of us don't realize our internal health is more important than our external health. So eat more veg, fish with Omega-3, and fruits like red grapes and tomatoes.

For more info, this is a very impt video you shld watch: - please tell yr family members and friends - for their sake. And health.

Bluefly aka GreenCoal

Edited by BlueFly, 11 March 2011 - 07:29 AM.

#33 geniecatcher

geniecatcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (etoh77 @ Oct 21 2010, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quartz is supposedly much harder and scratch-proof, leak-proof and heat resistant than even granite. U can google more abt it. I also read abt quartz by searching older posts in this forum. There are 2 brands in the mkt, Caesarstone and Silestone.
for the resale flat i bought, the previous owner used solid surface (black), and after only 2 yrs of usage which i believed they do not really maintain, there are water marks and lots of cut marks (think they do cutting directly on the surface) and also white patches prob due to hot pots directly on the surface. Thats why decided to use quartz. For the price, u can chk directly with distributer or find contractor whom may get better price. gd luck!

Anyone heard of Samsung quartz before?

#34 Eurypylus

Eurypylus

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:24 PM

Solid top = Shiny and least porous but subjected to scratches and heat.
Granite = very porous, w/o heat and scratches issue. So chose only the dark coloured ones.
Quartz = Composition or certain % of quartz and "plastic" stuff. Rather expensive, less porous than granite, no issue with heat.

Imho, every type of top will have its pro and con. I've use the most expensive choice Caesarstone, thinking it'll last a lifetime.
I guess it will, but then I was advise not to chop hard near the joint and now facing issue like newspaper stain are not easy to be clean off.

Designer Furniture and Ligthing Online Store Singapore

Renovator: Renovation Budget: