Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mae29

Extreme Makeover @ Pandan Gardens

the draft floor plan designed by feng shui master:

ns8r_231_uc4it.jpg

That's all for my existing home / furnitures. Will be making a drastic change including the color theme!

I got scolded by the FSM when I suggest to 'downsize' my master bedroom to make way for the dining area.

Unless your masterbed room is still the biggest room among the bedrooms after downsizing.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi, hi everyone

Any recommendation for home made curtains with good workmanship? I ever read a thread here recommending curtain makers in JB, but not sure where is that thread now?

Thanks in advance for yr recommendation.

I got my curtains from Golden Leaf Curtain Centre at Whampoa. They have many fabrics to choose. Service and workmanship are generally good :)

For Aircon, I am choosing Mitsuibishi or Daikin. Do you have any comments which is better?

You may want to consider Tobshiba Inverter, its compressor is made in Japan. Very quiet. Mitsubishi's compressor is made in Thailand and Daikin's compressor is made in China.

You're one of the 25-storey point blocks by the canal right? I've been a Pandan resident almost all of my life from the Blk 41x area. I always found the dual-entry into each unit quite interesting, but it means twice the number of wrought iron door grilles.

You may want to consider Tobshiba Inverter, its compressor is made in Japan. Very quiet. Mitsubishi's compressor is made in Thailand and Daikin's compressor is made in China.

Thank you for the heads up. I will go for Toshiba inverter.

My current flat installed Carrier and breakdown frequently. For past 10 years, I have replaced 4 compressors and changed many parts! :angry:

You're one of the 25-storey point blocks by the canal right? I've been a Pandan resident almost all of my life from the Blk 41x area. I always found the dual-entry into each unit quite interesting, but it means twice the number of wrought iron door grilles.

Bingo :dancingqueen:

I remember I was waiting for my property agent to view a unit at next block. While waiting, decided to go over to this point block and was immediately drawn to the unique side entry. I was lucky there was this unit up for sale when I told the agent my preference. Paid $5k COV and immediately got the deal signed while waiting for valuation report.

I got my curtains from Golden Leaf Curtain Centre at Whampoa. They have many fabrics to choose. Service and workmanship are generally good :)

I have heard of this curtain maker.

How about the ones at Clementi?

I need to get them sewn as those off the racks are not my taste.

Have been a busy day packing stuffs with the help of my sister.

She also helped to arrange a Nissan lorry @ $65 per day, minimum 2 days rental with $200 deposit.

Smart idea :good: as I just started packing yesterday and won't finished until Sunday. My neighbor had collected the dining table and chairs.

The rest of items - L shape sofa, fridge, washing machine all in good working condition will be given to PR friends of brother-in-law. My brother-in-law will drive the rented lorry and deliver to them on Sunday morning.

All other stuffs which I'm keeping them will be stored at my sister's place from tomorrow.

As for the bulky wardrobe, shoe cabinets and junks, I have asked the town council to collect them for disposal.

I am also asking my brother-in-law to drop off the old cloths, bedlinens, some collectibles and gift items to the Salvation Army.

With the above arrangement, I definitely need a lorry & a driver.

I am very thankful to my brother-in-law.

Unless your masterbed room is still the biggest room among the bedrooms after downsizing.

You are right! The master of the house must stay in bigger room!

The FSM realized I am the sole bread winner of our family and want more lights into the converted living room. Shop around from IDs to contractors, and finally met this ID who came up with the idea of using glass blocks for partial wall to let in the light and at the time, provide privacy to the converted bedroom. A contractor and 2 IDs proposed full height frosted glass wall, and 2 other IDs just simply followed my instruction without offering any comments. A couple who were highly recommended in this forum came & criticised that glass blocks but they offered no solution on how to let light in to the living room and at the same time provide privacy to the converted bedroom.

The worst idea came from an ID who proposed 5ft partition using gypsum board with top level clear glass!

I am really exhausted scouting around for ideas to solve this wall dividing the living room and a new bedroom.

In the beginning, I have shortlisted one ID and a contractor with the cheapest price for all items. But some items quoted by the contractor are even higher than IDs. As for that ID, he always asked that I meet him at his office instead of him coming to discuss the items with me on site. He came to my place once and that was upon my request. He also didn't bother to follow up his quote.

In the end, I dropped both of them like hot potatoes :furious:

Among the 8 firms that I approached, only Donny came across as very diligent, good problem solving skills,very helpful and everytime he has the quotations ready, he will call and visit me at my home to discuss the items. Thereafter, he will call again and asked if I need any clarification or not. Even on the day when I told him I was going to award based on pricing, he didn't retreat and still remain vPery patient, polite and offer to meet up with me to discuss my items knowing that I am 99% sure to award to others.

Therefore, it is Donny's great efforts going extra miles to meet customers who are so busy like me, his relentless efforts

to accommodate to my requests, his design concept and constant follow ups to discuss my items which eventually let to my decision to appoint him as my ID. :good::)

Edited by mae29

Wish you a smooth reno journey :)

Thank you for the well wishes!

By the way, any recommendation for glass hobs? My new colleague who is also a forumer here recommended Hobz.

Hi, what's wrong with this idea?

Here are reasons why I don't like the 5ft wall with gypsum board & clear glass on top:

1. It limits the height of wardrobe in the new converted bedroom. Look's weird with a 5ft high wardrobe in the new bedroom.

2. No privacy for the room. We won't peep, but the person sleeping in the bedroom wont feel secured.

3. It faces the front door, and it looks like office partition which I feel not suitable.

4. Gypsum board is not a good sound barrier; both sofa & TV are just outside.

As for frosted glass full height type, it looks nice but light does not pass through and my new living room will be dark. Further, you can see the blurry image of the person inside! :(

Got to wake up early to pack my own stuffs in master bedroom.

Second day of packing and moving out by today.

So tiring; have been packing from morning to late night for the past 2 days. I guess most of you agree that packing is tiring and unpacking thereafter is equally exhaustive! :bow: :bow:

More furnitures given away yesterday: the TV console, tall glass display cabinet and a study table were given to another neighbour. She is also taking the ceiling light at my living room. Beside these items, she is going to remove the toilet bowl and accessories as she claimed mine are in better condition than hers. :o

Someone told me that the design of Toshiba inverter Aircon looks old fashion. :unsure:

Has anyone installed Panasonic or LG brand? I know that LG won the Best Aircon accolade for 3 consecutive years. Any comments? :idea:

Sounds like you are getting new items to go for your extreme make-over.

Have been a busy day packing stuffs with the help of my sister.

She also helped to arrange a Nissan lorry @ $65 per day, minimum 2 days rental with $200 deposit.

Smart idea :good: as I just started packing yesterday and won't finished until Sunday. My neighbor had collected the dining table and chairs.

The rest of items - L shape sofa, fridge, washing machine all in good working condition will be given to PR friends of brother-in-law. My brother-in-law will drive the rented lorry and deliver to them on Sunday morning.

All other stuffs which I'm keeping them will be stored at my sister's place from tomorrow.

As for the bulky wardrobe, shoe cabinets and junks, I have asked the town council to collect them for disposal.

I am also asking my brother-in-law to drop off the old cloths, bedlinens, some collectibles and gift items to the Salvation Army.

Is the floorplan from your FSM the new proposed layout? do you have a before/after floorplan?

Did Donny came up with a solution for your light solution your converted bedroom?

Must it be natural light? even so, by night it will still be dependable on electrical lightings..

I would go with the full glass panel (It would not come cheap btw), curtains will be added for privacy purpose.

You are right! The master of the house must stay in bigger room!

The FSM realized I am the sole bread winner of our family and want more lights into the converted living room. Shop around from IDs to contractors, and finally met this ID who came up with the idea of using glass blocks for partial wall to let in the light and at the time, provide privacy to the converted bedroom. A contractor and 2 IDs proposed full height frosted glass wall, and 2 other IDs just simply followed my instruction without offering any comments. A couple who were highly recommended in this forum came & criticised that glass blocks but they offered no solution on how to let light in to the living room and at the same time provide privacy to the converted bedroom.

The worst idea came from an ID who proposed 5ft partition using gypsum board with top level clear glass!

I am really exhausted scouting around for ideas to solve this wall dividing the living room and a new bedroom.

What's your consideration for your aircon selection?

Normally ladies are won over by aesthetic value of the item; in this case LG would beat the rest rest of the rivals.

However do note that LG has one of the lowest COP (efficiency) amongst the rest as well, and it doesn't come cheap.

My aircon selection is simple; high efficiency (in turn using less power).

refer to my a.c selection here.

Thank you for the heads up. I will go for Toshiba inverter.

My current flat installed Carrier and breakdown frequently. For past 10 years, I have replaced 4 compressors and changed many parts! :angry:

Someone told me that the design of Toshiba inverter Aircon looks old fashion. :unsure:

Has anyone installed Panasonic or LG brand? I know that LG won the Best Aircon accolade for 3 consecutive years. Any comments? :idea: