Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kelsyll

Our Dream House Tampines 5a

7 years ago, was looking for a flat with 4 bedrooms. Has viewed almost all the 5 room layout in Simei. Was unsuccessful, ended up purchasing a 4S in Simei.

Started searching for our dream house after chinese new year. Realised it was too early as our MOP's only on 1st September 2010. Flat searching came to a halt. Started actively searching in Mid August again. Viewed about 10 flats these round. Settled on these as the house gave us a pleasant feel when we went in.

1st Appt : 13 Oct 2010

2nd Appt : 10 Dec 2010

Open door/Renovation Ceremony : 11 Dec 2010

Start of Renovation : 13 Dec 2010

Hand over : asap :P

Move-out from Simei : 9 Jan 2011

Contractor : She prefers not to be named until the whole project's completed. Funny right?

Edited by kelsyll

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Journey on finding our contractor was tiring. Started sourcing around September after signing OTP.

How many quotes we had...I had forgotten. How many times I have repeated our requirements....I had forgotten.

Had one ID who was very promising and persistent...nearly signed on the dotted line. Held back 'cos my hubby just could accept the design.

Had another ID who had his parang sharpened to chop our neck...immediate response was to run.

Seen a lot of package deal and the minute we took out the floor plan, the final price rocket... :(

Had some who response slowly. Some whom I don't like, some my hubby don't like....etc.

Eventually settled on a contractor. This contractor was chosen due to a lot of factors...Both of us can communicate our views with them. I'm sick of the whole process though there are some minor details that I don't agree on. Keeping my fingers crossed that things work out fine.

11th Dec 2010

To ease my mind, decided to carry out a supersitious ritual of opening door.

At 9 am sharp, opened the gate. Hubby throw 1 pineapple into the center of the living room. I threw the other 1. (panicked the previous night and wondered to throw 1 or 2 pineapple. Decided to throw 2 instead). Proceeded to throw rice/salt at all corners. My 4 and 2 year old boys had fun helping to throw the mixture too. The hall was really big compared to my 4 room flat. Both of them had fun running around...

Contractor helped to break ground.

Went to work at 10am. Hubby proceeded with meeting air-con ppl.

12th Dec 2010

Meet up with a CCTV guy to get quotation.

While we were having a discussion, my sons got creative! The pineapple became football :(

Went for dinner. recalled that I forgot to take the 'before' pictures. Returned to the house, closed all the bedroom doors, kitchen doors to take pictures.

My 2 year old boy did the most horrifying thing! He tiptoed and locked the kitchen door. :bangwall: We ended up locked out of the kitchen.

Called the agent to ask the previous owner for the keys. They claimed that they don't have the keys!!!! how can that be. A little angry with them for giving us 1 set of keys on completion. But what can we do? Who would believe that 5 adults in the house shares 1 set of keys?

List of works to be done :

1) Hack whole house floor tiles.

2) Hack all ceiling works

3) Hack master, common toilet

4) Hack kitchen

****All the above means strip the house naked in my contractor's lingual.

5) Hack Kitchen wall

6) Hack bedroom 2 wall

7) Hack both toilet's existing wall.

8) Shrink both toilets to beam's level

7) Electrical rewiring for the whole house

8) Plastering the whole house (includes ceiling)

9) Simple ceiling work in living room to conceal the beam

10) Ktichen cabinet

11) Wardrobe (to be done after CNY)

12) Painting

13) Installation of CCTV (purpose not really to monitor my maid but to see what my kids are doing when we are not at home)

Did a fengshui audit in October. Hubby was disappointed/unhappy with the outcome.:(

His open concept kitchen idea got boot out. The stove has to be positioned in a corner 45 degress facing. Our mbr bed position was awkward in ID's eyes.

But since I believe strongly, he has no choice but to follow.

Day 1 13 Dec 2010

Hacking.

My contractor's really fast. The whole house flooring was hacked within a day. :rolleyes:

099.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

The only unhappy thingy was HDB has not approved the hacking of ktichen and bedroom 2 wall.

Called the officer, was told that only after the engineers come down and review then it'll be approved.

Hopefully it doesn't affect the reno process.

Edited by kelsyll

Additional items to install

1) System 4 Inverter Aircon

2) CCTV

Items to purchase

1) Cooker Hood (deciding between Fujioh 800 MK2 and FX890 R)

2) Cooker Hob ( Fujioh FG 773SVGL)

3) Built-in Oven

4) Ceiling Fans x 7

5) Front - loading washing machine

6) Poster queen size bed frame

7) Firm Queen size mattress

8) Lights

9) Toilet bowl x 2

10) Toilet Sink with faucets x 2

11) Additional sink for hand washing clothes.

12) Instant Heater x 2

Hopefully the list doesn't get longer :unsure:

Our pocket can't take it.

Edited by kelsyll

Day 2 - Hacking in progress.

The progress was excellent All flooring was hacked.

Kitchen wall hacked completely.

Toilet wall tile all hacked.

Only down side was HDB has not approved the 2 walls to hacked and the shrinking of the toilet. :(

Has to wait for the engineers to come down to verify. The appointment was fixed at Day 3 15th Dec 2010 3:30pm.

If nothing goes wrong, approval should be given on Monday (according to my contractor).

It's funny that we search high and low for a best deal....believing to find better offers...

On day 2 (14th Dec 2010) after visiting job site, suddenly thought of the shop we purchased our fridge many years ago.

Visit the neighbourhood shop in Tampines immediately. True enough, we found

1) KDK fan selling at $170

2) Fujioh hood and hobs at better price offered by other shops. :D

Maybe we can make 90% of our purchases from this shop. Saves me trouble from shopping. :D

Now the dilemma was whether to use Reglite or KDK fan. Fanco's out 'cos we are currently using fanco and the wind's not strong enough for my boys.

It's funny that we search high and low for a best deal....believing to find better offers...

On day 2 (14th Dec 2010) after visiting job site, suddenly thought of the shop we purchased our fridge many years ago.

Visit the neighbourhood shop in Tampines immediately. True enough, we found

1) KDK fan selling at $170

2) Fujioh hood and hobs at better price offered by other shops. :D

Maybe we can make 90% of our purchases from this shop. Saves me trouble from shopping. :D

Now the dilemma was whether to use Reglite or KDK fan. Fanco's out 'cos we are currently using fanco and the wind's not strong enough for my boys.

Maybe you should try calling everjoint shop at amk to check out the price. So far I find their price reasonable..

Maybe you should try calling everjoint shop at amk to check out the price. So far I find their price reasonable..

Thanks mistgun..

I'm looking at Fujioh cooker hob FFG 773 SVGL too but the hob thinking of FS 890R. The price I got was $770.

Will give a call to everjoint to check prices.

Day 3

The hackers were really fast. Everything that can be hacked was hacked. Debris cleared.

Sand and tiles loaded into the room.

112.jpg

122.jpg

123.jpg

Went to visit the site today during lunch time. Really happy to see the tilers working. They are laying the tiles for the living room.

At 330pm, HDB officer-in-charge and the engineer came. According to my husband, engineer was wearing skirt and jacket. :o.

Wondered how she step into the unit 'cos the enterance tiles was newly layed. Had to step on the center and jump over to clear spots.

Hopefully, she can pass the approval notice asap.

My contractor deserves 8|. She missed out 1 submission on hacking. (additional entrance to the toilet from bedroom 2)

Called her in the evening. She got it rectified already. Keep my finges crossed that it doesn't affect our overall schedule.

Edited by kelsyll