Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kelsyll

Our Dream House Tampines 5a

After months of discussion, we have finally decided on the TV console position.

Reason to finalise here.

1) 2 sections of the hall are covered. Dining area not covered. :D

2) No TV during meal times. It's meant to be bonding time.

3) when the kids get sent in the room, they are unable to peep at the TV programmes from their bedroom.

(My younger boy was sent into their bedroom after misbehaving one day. He went without any complains; which is very unusual. Went in to check on him....he was happily, quietly watching the TV programme from the bedroom door...)

I remembered my younger days when I was ordered to sleep at 9:30pm (maybe). My parents were watching HK serial. Wanted to watch badly...but not allowed. So with my sisters we opened the door secretly with a slight gap, peedped/watched the whole programmed through the alter's glass door reflection.

I guess my parents are not aware till this day. :P.

My stove layout is awkward, due to fengshui audit. Hubby's still unhappy about lost of his open concept kitchen.

Was trying to upload my space planning picture up but failed after 3 times, give up. Will try another day.

Managed to get my space planning in.

spaceplanning.jpg

Edited by kelsyll

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Day 4

Hacking of ceiling work. Was amazed at the fact that the previous owner would spend so much $$$ on ceiling work and cornice.

Look at the amount of debris from the false ceiling/cornices

144.jpg

Tiling continued. 90% of the living room was covered.

At lunch time, work came to a HALT. Just realised that we forgot to confirm the removing of the arch doors. After much delibration, we decided to hack away the arch door and frame. Our dear contractor became so stressed....I felt so bad.

134.jpg

Visited the site again at 5pm. Must admire her speed of activation. She got the door frame delivered, the arch door was hacked. Guess by Day 5 the door frame would be up.

Due to the door frame episode, tilers has shifted to work on toilet and kitchen instead. Looking at their speed, seems to be going well. If nothing happens maybe don't need to camp over my mom's place for 1 week :dancingqueen:

Wanted the idea of a piece of tile on top the wash basin to place the soap dish or handwash liquid. Discussed with contractor and tiler. I love the tiler for his suggestion. He suggested we get a piece of white marble and he will help me cut into the wall tiles. :good::good:

Can't wait to see the effect.

Ceiling work by the previous owner. Although they had spent much effort, sadly it doesn't reflect our taste, style. Too bad it has to go.

Living room

088.jpg

087.jpg

Master bedroom

094.jpg

We are very uncomfortable with this. Doesn't it look like a tombstone?

093.jpg

The bedrooms had simple cornices.

Pictures of the house before commencement of work.

Living room

085.jpg

(view from Music room)

084.jpg

(view from Master bedroom)

082.jpg

(view from main entrance)

Children's bedroom

095.jpg

Study room

096.jpg

Day 5

Approval for hacking of master toilet and common toilet, kitchen and piano room wall came. Contractor wasted no time and proceeded on hacking. When we visited the site at 4:30pm, all walls were down except the common toilet. There was plenty of debris to clear from the 4 hacked walls. While the workers were clear the debris, I was very worried that the floor tiles get damaged. Looking at them, it's really hard work.

Due to shortage of time, my contractor had to help the workers to carry the debris into the wheelburrow. :sport-smiley-003: Poor gal had to help carry the blocks of debris for 2 hours. No wonder when we arrived at the job site, she's completely brushed. Now I also understand why she has slim long arms.

For hacking work, we have the 2 more piece of wall to be hacked in the living room. It was constructed by the previous owner to conceal the pipe. One more entrance to the common toilet from piano studio. A little ceiling structure left behind by the false ceiling. The amount of debris our renovation created is

Meanwhile, the tilers were laying the tiles in children's bedroom. Door frame was up already. They had plastered the sides.

Happy with the progress, seems like the work can be completed faster than estimated. :D

Day 6 Saturday

Was working so did not visit the site. My hubby visited the job site and was pleasantly surprised that the tiler was working. Really hardworking. Seeing marked process.

The bathroom wall are reconstructed.

Common Toilet

093-1.jpg

MBR Toilet

094-1.jpg

Kitchen wall plastered, really to place the wall tiles.

092.jpg

Children's bedroom floor tiles done up

091.jpg

Day 7 Sunday

No work done. off day for everyone.

Brought the children and domestic helper to visit. The moment we reach the place, my elder son needs to visit the washroom.. :huh:

No choice got to rush home for him.

Edited by kelsyll

Day 7,8,9 - 20-22/12/2010

Tiling continues....

Day 10 - 23/12/2010

Plastering kicks in while tiling continues

Day 11 - 24/12/2010

Plastering continues. Tilers continue to work on the kitchen area. Hacking of the toilet entrance from the piano studio still pending. :curse:

Why can't the approval come faster? It's affecting the common toilet progress.

The living had plenty of nails left behind by the wooden structure holding the false ceiling. Main contractor got working on removing them. I should say she's very hardworking...she was sweeping the debris.:jawdrop: I admire her for not afraid of dirty her hands. Just wondering would you see a designer doing that?

Caught her in action helping her worker.

134-1.jpg

Tiler working on kitchen wall tiles

132.jpg

Plasterer working in MBR

133.jpg

X'mas eve shopping

First time not shopping in malls on X'mas eve. :(

Went to defu lane for a furniture sale in the morning.

Was hoping to find a pole bed. but ended up distracted with a bench, and a dining table.

Both are not in the budget but my end up getting them 'cos it really fits into our concept seamlessly. This is side-track..it better don't happen too often.

Meeting with carpenter at job site 1pm.

Straight forward guy, looks honest hopefully he can deliver. :dunno:

He's charging us $90/ft run. Expensive or cheap...Can't really bother as long as he delivers.

Shopping at Jalan Besar in the afternoon

Visited the shops along Jln Besar...

One gain today : Found fans cheaper than what we originally got. My hubby got side-tracked again...wants to change the model that we have decided.

Chop him for that.. Concluded that we are going to get 3 KDK with remote control and 4 Reglite with regulator.

I am perfectly fine with switching on/off the fan using the regulator but he insisted that the remote control is good....

Was very impressed with one sale lady from Eng Soon Huat. She's very knowledgable, gives us good advice. make sure we didn't miss out anything.

Except for the cooker hood and hob, quite ok with other prices that she has offered. Will most probably go back to her....

What a X'mas eve. Worst, :( going to continue shopping for sanitaries on X'mas day.

Edited by kelsyll

Returned in the evening with my children and helper to see the progress.

Pleasantly surprised to see the tilers about to leave at 7pm. :yeah:

136.jpg

135.jpg

Very happy with my decision to go for plain white tiles although there are so many fanciful designs in the market.

Little hiccup. My young boy touched the plastered wall that's not dry yet. My older boy touched it delibrately to feel the texture. My younger boy afraid to be scolded started crying first and wants to go 'home'.. :wacko: (isn't this our home?)

Heard from the tiler that both the plasterer and tilers are going to continue working on X'mas day :yamseng:

Going to send them breakfast to give them morale boost.

X'mas

Visited the site in the morning. Tilers and plastering ppl are working hard. Really appreciate their hard work.

1st time during X'mas I'm not lazying at home and watch the holiday movies. :( Feel a little upset but has no choice.

Today's saw a TV console in Mode at Enterprise building @ Kaki Bukit. Got side-tracked and wanted to pay for it immediately....

Impulse...Very lucky we didn't do that.

Nothing much to shop as most shops are closed for X'mas. Went off the Furniture mall at Beach road.

Our objective : To find a pole bed. Check out the price of 'nice' dining table.

Not long after walking into the mall, found a pole bed that we both love. Price was $2150... a little steep. Will confirm this buy if we can't find anything else.

Side-tracked again and went into Smart closet design. Had a chat wtih the designer...got some new ideas on the colour tone to choose.

The closet price was $1800...My carpenter would be chargin us $1500.

The more you shop the more confused you get.

Decided to call it a day at furniture mall. Rushed off to Jln Besar to see if Adamas is open. Rushed into the shop and got a rough quote on the things we want...Unfortunately, they do not have the wash basin that we want.... :( but their prices seems to be cheaper than the shops that we enquire yesterday.

Very tired...all shops seems to be selling almost similar design..now just need to calm down and go the quality on product and pricing. Leave this for next week.

Edited by kelsyll

Choosing my wall colour.

Finally sit down and plan the colours to paint. Decided not to do it with my husband. He's fantastic at changing his mind, challenging my 'bold' colour choices.

After flipping through Dulux colour catalogue, decided on the following :-

Ceiling :- Light & Space White

All walls :- Light & Space Frosted Dawn

Dining and TV Console Wall : Choco Pie

Music Studio : Light & Space Sunny Lime

Children's bedroom : ? ? shold I stick to white or paint another colour?

Day 15 27/12/2010

To my horror, I forgot to send my helper for medical checkup due on 26/7. 1 day past due date, hope MOM don't give me trouble. I need her to help me shift house.

Drove to the clinic, drop off my helper. My elder son decided to stay with his beloved auntie. Younger boy chose to follow me to our new home. Wanted to do some measurements in their bedroom. Has decided to place our existiing queen bed in our children's bedroom. Reorgnised their bedroom layout....Objective is to find an excuse to buy my pole bed.

4:40pm Call my contractor to check on the additional toilet entrance. Finally it got approved. She told the officer "Please approve fast, else reject the application so that she can answer to us." Shortly after, the officer called back and gave approval for the hacking. :yamseng:

5:30pm Drop by the curtain shop. After choosing my materials, the owner says it will cost around $2000+ WOWWWWW! blow budget again. Must really reconsider whether to use ikea's curtains and roller blinds.

6:30pm Meeting with electrician.

Finally got to meet up with my electrician. He's my friend long time contractor. Gives me a rather good rate for my double plugs.

Gave him the floor plan go through with him my requirements. He makes some markings on the wall. Explained to me opennet and starhub....but I blur blur only understand a little.

He gave me a suggestion to create false ceiling on the dining area, put cove light and down light. No need for dining light. With this can shift our table any position we like. :sport-smiley-018:

7pm + The tilers left. Very hardworking lot. :good:

The toilet wall tiles are up. Saw my feature. Very happy with my choice. Hubby should be quite happy too after he sees the effect tomorrow.

8pm Left the job site. Still early decided to drop by TM 1 to shop.

:( Realised forgot to confirm the type of switch used. But never mind, will confirm again on Thursday.

Happy shopping. Wanko 60% discount for selected items. :P

Day 15 27/12/2010

To my horror, I forgot to send my helper for medical checkup due on 26/7. 1 day past due date, hope MOM don't give me trouble. I need her to help me shift house.

Drove to the clinic, drop off my helper. My elder son decided to stay with his beloved auntie. Younger boy chose to follow me to our new home. Wanted to do some measurements in their bedroom. Has decided to place our existiing queen bed in our children's bedroom. Reorgnised their bedroom layout....Objective is to find an excuse to buy my pole bed.

4:40pm Call my contractor to check on the additional toilet entrance. Finally it got approved. She told the officer "Please approve fast, else reject the application so that she can answer to us." Shortly after, the officer called back and gave approval for the hacking. :yamseng:

5:30pm Drop by the curtain shop. After choosing my materials, the owner says it will cost around $2000+ WOWWWWW! blow budget again. Must really reconsider whether to use ikea's curtains and roller blinds.

6:30pm Meeting with electrician.

Finally got to meet up with my electrician. He's my friend long time contractor. Gives me a rather good rate for my double plugs.

Gave him the floor plan go through with him my requirements. He makes some markings on the wall. Explained to me opennet and starhub....but I blur blur only understand a little.

He gave me a suggestion to create false ceiling on the dining area, put cove light and down light. No need for dining light. With this can shift our table any position we like. :sport-smiley-018:

7pm + The tilers left. Very hardworking lot. :good:

The toilet wall tiles are up. Saw my feature. Very happy with my choice. Hubby should be quite happy too after he sees the effect tomorrow.

8pm Left the job site. Still early decided to drop by TM 1 to shop.

:( Realised forgot to confirm the type of switch used. But never mind, will confirm again on Thursday.

Happy shopping. Wanko 60% discount for selected items. :P

I got my curtain from joo chiat complex jimmy textile..

Did not go around to compare much as was very tired shopping on christmas eve. So decided to buy from them since the girl serving us was very patient with us.

Total cost around 600 for 3 windows size of 4ft x 4ft.

It's funny that we search high and low for a best deal....believing to find better offers...

On day 2 (14th Dec 2010) after visiting job site, suddenly thought of the shop we purchased our fridge many years ago.

Visit the neighbourhood shop in Tampines immediately. True enough, we found

1) KDK fan selling at $170

2) Fujioh hood and hobs at better price offered by other shops. :D

Maybe we can make 90% of our purchases from this shop. Saves me trouble from shopping. :D

Now the dilemma was whether to use Reglite or KDK fan. Fanco's out 'cos we are currently using fanco and the wind's not strong enough for my boys.

kelsyll,

the $170 kdk fan is A11YS???