Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
skyvers

Flat Inspection Before Completion Date

I have bought a resale flat in Feb this year and the completion date is at end of March. The HDB have already approved the resale application and told us to inspect the flat prior to the completion date. What do we look out for during the inspection?

HDB's website stated at the completion date "The buyer confirms that the flat has been vacated and its condition is acceptable". How do we determine that its condition is acceptable? What is deemed acceptable by the seller might not be acceptable to me. Do I use the valuation report as the benchmark for assessing the condition? It has been quite a few months ago since we last viewed the flat. Our concern is that since the owners already shifting out, they will not take good care of this current flat. In the event that the condition now is much worse than the time when we last viewed the flat, what can we do?

Have anyone encounter similar situations before?

Would appreciate any advice or comments regarding the above. Thanks:)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I have bought a resale flat in Feb this year and the completion date is at end of March. The HDB have already approved the resale application and told us to inspect the flat prior to the completion date. What do we look out for during the inspection?

HDB's website stated at the completion date "The buyer confirms that the flat has been vacated and its condition is acceptable". How do we determine that its condition is acceptable? What is deemed acceptable by the seller might not be acceptable to me. Do I use the valuation report as the benchmark for assessing the condition? It has been quite a few months ago since we last viewed the flat. Our concern is that since the owners already shifting out, they will not take good care of this current flat. In the event that the condition now is much worse than the time when we last viewed the flat, what can we do?

Hi Skyvers,

I do encounter such situation, but I'm on the seller side not buyer. My husband & I love our previous house and we really took good care of it. And we thought that we get a good buyer who will love our house just like we do. I guess we are wrong. 1st viewing, no problem same goes for 2nd viewing and 1st appointment...but things started to fall out when i don't agree to allowed buyer to bring their contractor to my house for measurement..and on 2nd appointment (its in the afternoon), morning we let them do their final inspection. And too bad both of us need to work so my agent handle everything for us.

As what my agent told me, the moment this couple step their foot in they checked every power point :bangwall: which to me is crazy!!! they try to find every single fault..which to our understanding..its a wear & tear items. they list down 20+ items..e.g cabinet door cannot close properly, sliding door between kitchen cannot lock n the list goes on. They even threaten us that they not going to be at HDB for 2nd appointment. But at last they still have to be there as our HDB Officer called them & asked them to sign if not they have to pay for the interest. As what the Officer told us, you supposed to check everything in working condition when you view for 2nd viewing and before 1st appointment.

Final inspection is only to verify that they have moved out every single things of their items. But 1st of all... to us..a house is also like a living things, they need to be love.. so you have to love the house that you buying..then only you will feel satisfied & happy :thumbs up: Good luck on your coming renovation ;)

@LADY_R, your buyer siao ding dong. check those things.

Her buyer just trying to make things difficult for seller not allowing them to take measurements.

In this world is like that, kind of sad, "you make thing easy for me, i make thing easy for u too".

TS, u r buying a resale unit, it is buy "as is".

As long as whatever stated in evaluation report is intact, like built-in wardrobe is there not missing. Can't really pick on wear and tear cos u r buying resale not new.

I am going to do my inspection soon too and my agent already arrange a date to go with me. Basically, i think what to check is what is suppose to be there is there and what is not, is to be removed (ie they move out their personal things). things i know i am going to remove for during renovation, i will not care too much. the other thing is also leakages.... especially toilets or even bedrooms (ie water seepage from outside).

Her buyer just trying to make things difficult for seller not allowing them to take measurements.

In this world is like that, kind of sad, "you make thing easy for me, i make thing easy for u too".

yes, you are right. I miss out that part.

I also did that to my seller. :P

For

1. don't allow us to let us bring contractor for measurement

2. scold us right infront of the contractor

3. close the door, right after her scolding and don't allow us to talk.

Even we did SMS her husband few days ago and SMS again before we went up.

4. After they move out and insist they want to keep the letter box key.

They demand to keep the letter box key but never come and collected those letter after 1 mths.

My favor to them.

1. Once we move in. we sent all those letter back as "NO Such person"

2. After that round, 3 steps : open --> read --> thrown.

This showed buyer did not understand what is called "common law". They have wasted their precious time on creating the "punch list" a few hrs before 2nd appointment and vented their "anger" at wrong timing and on wrong subject.

Always create an inventory list, to state which items to be remained/disposed, during signing OTP (items to remain/dispose is part of selling price negotiation process)and counter sign by both parties, agents as witness (This is called meeting of eyes, get common agreement frist).

"Final inspection" can be done a day, or a few days before 2nd appointment, to inspect those items against the inventory list.

No list, inspect what, 4 walls + 1 ceiling? No pre-consensus, no paper signed, then no inspection. If were to inspect, just a waste of time & effort.

Hi Skyvers,

I do encounter such situation, but I'm on the seller side not buyer. My husband & I love our previous house and we really took good care of it. And we thought that we get a good buyer who will love our house just like we do. I guess we are wrong. 1st viewing, no problem same goes for 2nd viewing and 1st appointment...but things started to fall out when i don't agree to allowed buyer to bring their contractor to my house for measurement..and on 2nd appointment (its in the afternoon), morning we let them do their final inspection. And too bad both of us need to work so my agent handle everything for us.

As what my agent told me, the moment this couple step their foot in they checked every power point :bangwall: which to me is crazy!!! they try to find every single fault..which to our understanding..its a wear & tear items. they list down 20+ items..e.g cabinet door cannot close properly, sliding door between kitchen cannot lock n the list goes on. They even threaten us that they not going to be at HDB for 2nd appointment. But at last they still have to be there as our HDB Officer called them & asked them to sign if not they have to pay for the interest. As what the Officer told us, you supposed to check everything in working condition when you view for 2nd viewing and before 1st appointment.

Final inspection is only to verify that they have moved out every single things of their items. But 1st of all... to us..a house is also like a living things, they need to be love.. so you have to love the house that you buying..then only you will feel satisfied & happy :thumbs up: Good luck on your coming renovation ;)

Edited by bepgof

If you are going to do a full overhaul reno on the flat, then you just make sure they move out every single item that in not bulit in. If not you may have a problem for moving those item yrself. What I did is, I make sure my agent to make sure the owner to shift out everything that can be move before I handover the cheque to him. Make the final inspection date a day before 2nd appointment to ensure the flat is totally vacated. I am sure nobody will like to spend to money to ask someone to move the item out when the owner left all the sh*t there.

yes, you are right. I miss out that part.

I also did that to my seller. :P

For

1. don't allow us to let us bring contractor for measurement

2. scold us right infront of the contractor

3. close the door, right after her scolding and don't allow us to talk.

Even we did SMS her husband few days ago and SMS again before we went up.

4. After they move out and insist they want to keep the letter box key.

They demand to keep the letter box key but never come and collected those letter after 1 mths.

My favor to them.

1. Once we move in. we sent all those letter back as "NO Such person"

2. After that round, 3 steps : open --> read --> thrown.

Yr owner over do it liao. How can they demand to keep the letter box key since they already move out :rolleyes: They can ask you for a favor to keep their letter over maybe a 3month period and collect from you. After that you can just throw away..

Yr owner over do it liao. How can they demand to keep the letter box key since they already move out :rolleyes: They can ask you for a favor to keep their letter over maybe a 3month period and collect from you. After that you can just throw away..

Hehe my owner also asked to keep their letterbox key for 1 month. I agreed. ;)

My owner didn't let me move my wardrobe into house 1 day before 2nd appt, it resulted me having to leave my wardrobe at the corridoor for 1 day. Heng, it wasn't stolen.

It's about give and take.

Edited by forgotten

@forgotten, at least your seller ask. My seller just pass the message to the agent and tell the agent to inform us.

So, even we want to say no also cannot.

@davidbslee, keep for 1 mth. If they ask nicely , we will agree as we also need to do reno during that mth.

But I don't like the way they handle the thing.

And they delay the handover time.

From lunch time handover the key until 10.30 pm, they just drop the key in the letter box. Then ask the agent to inform us. Go to the letter box to collect the keys.

darm angry that time.

Hi Skyvers,

wah your buyer is really one kind. they should respect the seller if they turn down the request to do measurement nicely - some pple just like to have more privacy, or sometimes the house is too messy as seller is also in the mist of packing and shifting.

This showed buyer did not understand what is called "common law". They have wasted their precious time on creating the "punch list" a few hrs before 2nd appointment and vented their "anger" at wrong timing and on wrong subject.

Always create an inventory list, to state which items to be remained/disposed, during signing OTP (items to remain/dispose is part of selling price negotiation process)and counter sign by both parties, agents as witness (This is called meeting of eyes, get common agreement frist).

"Final inspection" can be done a day, or a few days before 2nd appointment, to inspect those items against the inventory list.

No list, inspect what, 4 walls + 1 ceiling? No pre-consensus, no paper signed, then no inspection. If were to inspect, just a waste of time & effort.

agree fully on the inventory list - that's why the inventory list is there, rite? ;)

my colleague told me that he did inspection few days before 2nd appointment, and guess what? right after 2nd appointment when they went to the new home, all the built-in wardrobe disappeared....... :jawdrop:

built-in wardrobe only.

I heard even has all room door missing one.

Ceiling light missing

Basically left the 4 walls.