Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ayukie

Copper Vs Stainless Steel Pipes

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi my contractor tells me copper is better and pricer than stainless steel .. so which is better to be rust free?

Thanks

Anyone has any advice ? I also wish to know. Thanks.

Hi my contractor tells me copper is better and pricer than stainless steel .. so which is better to be rust free?

Thanks

My contractor also tells me copper pipes are better. My husband insisted on stainless steel pipes as we have been using stainless steel pipes for long time with no problem. My contractor says the stainless steel pipes nowadays not as good as before and he had several problems with those who opted for stainless steel pipes. I don't know if it is true. Any one can advise ?

Ion - that's what my contractor says lor so doing copper pipes ...

Did your contractor say stainless steel pipes the joints may leak ? Anyway, my husband don't buy the reason and say leakage is due to poor workmanship so we are going for stainless steel pipes.

Nope he nvr say but he say copper more ex and better stainless steel nt that good ... I read copper won't rust but don't look nice as told by my contractor but he box up all my pipes anyway lol so won't be seen .. Even my water Heater also he box up so I leave it to him ...

Had copper at my previous flat, from my memory, the exterior tarnishes/oxidizes very easily.

Stainless Steel Pipes

Stainless steel pipes are rarer compared to copper or galvanized pipe. They are not used commonly due to the very high cost. However SS pipes can be quite handy in highly corrosive environments, like in marine use or in homes in proximity to the sea.

Copper Pipes

Copper is the most common and oldest material used by plumbing pipes manufacturers for making pipes. Due to the high resistance to corrosion and tolerance, copper pipes are ideal for carrying both hot and cold water. Copper pipes are generally connected with soldered fittings, therefore their fittings become permanent additions.

Advantages of Copper Plumbing

When compared with other major materials used for manufacturing pipe, copper holds significant advantages over others. Copper plumbing pipes are incredibly durable, safer in natural calamities, resistant to bacteria and weather, easy and flexible to install, and are competitively priced. Builders and developers have been preferring copper pipes for decades for its dependability and solid value. Copper plumbing also enhances the resale value of homes, so are preferred by homeowners.

The softness of copper gives it an upper hand over other metallic pipes. It needs fewer fasteners and tube connectors, saving hardware and installation costs. Overall it is much thinner and so contractors find it easier to install through narrow wall and floor spaces. Copper plumbing offers a safe and clean water supply. It is also biostatic that doesn't allow bacteria to grow. It carries potable water whose pH lies between 6.5-8.5. Copper is unaffected by ultraviolet rays and resists corrosion, so preferred for outdoor applications like sprinkler systems.

http://www.hardwaremarketplace.com/information-guide/all-about-plumbing-pipes.html

Edited by artblakey

Had copper at my previous flat, from my memory, the exterior tarnishes/oxidizes very easily.

Hi, thanks for sharing. How about your new place ? Are you using copper or stainless steel pipes now?

Yeah I read copper won't rust so I took copper .. Think copper overtook SS in price already because of gold and silver price all up ..