Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Erwinong

Window / Solar Film Advice Needed

Hi everyone,

I'm a total newbie to window films. Hope the below questions don't sound too silly or basic! :P

1. For those of you who have installed window films to cut out heat and light, do you still install curtains and blinds?

2. Will it make my already tinted window glass even darker?

3. Moreover, my window doesn't really face direct sunlight but looking out can be a bit glaring. Will such solar films help?

Thank u very much!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

curtain and blinds can be used to totally shut down the brightness.

solar film is able to ton down the brightness and heat depending on what/how thick ur film is.

if got budget having both is good, coz film help to cut down the heat.

i thinking should i fix film too.

i have both curtain n blind.

But I'm not sure if the films are really necessary if the light is not directly shining on the windows. Checked the price and was surprised the films are not cheap. Can be more expensive than good quality blinds.

i do have 3M solar film installed on all my windows as i feel the morning sun generate too much heat into my flat (directly onto to windows).

After installed the heat was 'block' off so it is much much better.

I think if no sunlight shine directly onto your windows then no point installing the films right?

i might be wrong so any one else have exp pls share =)

Thanks for the reply.

Ya, I've finally thought about it and think it's too much on my budget.

My room does feel warm at times but I realize it's not caused by direct sunlight on the windows. It's the outside weather that's generally warm so I don't think the films will help much.

3M is a very expensive brand and it is very hard to remove too (if one day you wanna change it).

may i know roughly how much you are quoted, psf?

3M is a very expensive brand and it is very hard to remove too (if one day you wanna change it).

Does it mean other brands are easier to remove? 3M sticks hard to the window like a sticker? :o Doesn't sound good.

There's a wide range depending on the type you choose. But it's average $5-10. I've heard more expensive ones.

It's beyond my budget.... Not really sure how effective it is also. Even for cars, I still feel the inside is very warm on a sunny day even though the windows are stuck with such films. Or maybe without the films, it'll be even warmer?! :jawdrop:

my solar film still on hold coz day time i am not at home. At night then back home.

So no point having it.

During weekends till 11am then i am away again...

if i still remember correctly it was $7 psf...but i think it is really worth it as i really feel the different b4 and after install.

No worries of changing as if really need to i'm changing all the windows as well bcos i didnt change them when i got my resale unit.

Hi everyone,

I'm a total newbie to window films. Hope the below questions don't sound too silly or basic! :P

1. For those of you who have installed window films to cut out heat and light, do you still install curtains and blinds?

2. Will it make my already tinted window glass even darker?

3. Moreover, my window doesn't really face direct sunlight but looking out can be a bit glaring. Will such solar films help?

Thank u very much!

1. If you have window films you won't need curtains and blinds, unless you want to block the view from outside.

2. Yes, it will make the place dark.

3. Can cut off the UV, so you will feel cooler. And definitely will cut the glare.

can solar film paste outside window? will it work if the window got pattern? how much to change window?

No la, ppl paste inside one.

(if paste outside,cant tahan the nature environment.eg;rain)

Have to see what type of pattern you got on your window.

If the pattern is protruding out alot on surface ,then will got problem for the solar film to stick onto the window itself.

If pattern is only slightly protruding out(like 3D effect),then might be able to.

**still,have to depend on installer's skill

Prices are depend on the sizes of your windows.

(they have to come on site to take measurement then can quote you exact price)

(also,prices depend on the grade of solar film u want) :yamseng:

thanks everyone for the replies.

i've installed both film and curtains/blinds. I find they do serve different purposes. And films as I realize, only cut out the light marginally from my original tinted window. If you want a much darker environment, you still need the curtain/blind. Still new to the films so need some time to feel if it's working as well as expected! :)

Edited by Erwinong

No la, ppl paste inside one.

(if paste outside,cant tahan the nature environment.eg;rain)

Have to see what type of pattern you got on your window.

If the pattern is protruding out alot on surface ,then will got problem for the solar film to stick onto the window itself.

If pattern is only slightly protruding out(like 3D effect),then might be able to.

**still,have to depend on installer's skill

Prices are depend on the sizes of your windows.

(they have to come on site to take measurement then can quote you exact price)

(also,prices depend on the grade of solar film u want) :yamseng:

old window design not smooth type. any window recommended to check retrofitting and change living & common room window and 2 toilet?

high humidity at west side

thanks everyone for the replies.

i've installed both film and curtains/blinds. I find they do serve different purposes. And films as I realize, only cut out the light marginally from my original tinted window. If you want a much darker environment, you still need the curtain/blind. Still new to the films so need some time to feel if it's working as well as expected! :)

Hi Erwinong,

I am looking to install solar films and have gotten quote from 3M but finds them exp. I see that it's been a few months since you have installed your solar films, can share if you find it money well spent? Is your house not as hot now? My current window is also tinted so am in dilemma if I should choose the 60% block heat type from 3M, i.e. the darkest film, I'm afraid it will be too dark. What did u choose?

Any sharing from you is appreciated.

Apple