Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
edenstrauss

Organic Worm Tea Anyone?

Hi folks,

I've finally got my hands on an air-tight bottle of organic worm castings to be made into worm tea for watering my plants every morning.

Firstly, I would like to share that I got this through IJO Corporation who is the owner of their housebrand of worm castings which could be bought from nurseries owned by Far East. This was first introduced to me by IJO Corporation when I had difficulties locating their organic fertiliser in the form of gray granules.

And I was pleasantly surprised when IJO volunteered to acquire & set up the dispenser for the worm tea in my home so as to facilitate the use of worm tea with great ease for first-timers like myself. :)

The outcome was great! And before I draw on the conclusion as to why IJO's organic worm castings are great for my plants, please allow me to share how the organic worm tea had been prepared by IJO's professional representative, Powan. :D

I would like to take this opportunity here in this thread to thank Powan from IJO Corporation for her time & effort in doing whatever she has done for me as a plant owner & for imparting knowledge & gardening skills - Just look at the photographs of the outcome of my plants after the use of IJO's fertilisers & you'll understand why I'm so grateful as my "babies" are well-taken care of with the use of IJO Organic Worm Tea & of course, in conjunction with "behind-the-scenes" support from Powan of IJO Corporation. :good:

And to thank her & IJO Corporation for 2 bottles of their complimentary worm tea which had been dispensed from the office. :dancingqueen:

______________________________________________________________________________________

Disclaimer:

Permission has been sought from IJO Corporation Pte Ltd for their products, such as IJO Organic Worm Castings & Organic neem Pesticide to be featured in this thread.

Kindly note that this thread is strictly for the purpose of sharing my humble & objective views of the value-added services & gardening products e.g. fertilisers provided by the aforesaid company. And is not an advertising platform.

I am not affliated to this company and am an existing client who had a very good response from my plants after we started using IJO Organic Worm Castings & its neem pesticide.

Reader's discretion is therefore sought when viewing this thread.

For the ease of viewing and any enquiries related to IJO's contact numbers & address, the company's address & telephone numbers are uploaded in photographs featuring their products.

Thank you for visiting this thread & showing your support as a lover for nature.

Edited by edenstrauss

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

This is my bottle of IJO Organic Worm Castings which is pre-packed in an air-tight bottle and could be bought from nurseries owned by Far East.

6774113725_a1c3423dea.jpg

When Powan of IJO Corporation first introduced the idea of worm castings to me, I had mistaken such fertilisers as that being derived from compost as that's commonly practiced & featured in You-tube videos.

By the time I realised what worm castings was, I almost gagged as I was munching on some titbits while reading up on what that was.

Worm castings is the FAECES (i.e. stools) of worms!!! :jawdrop:

So here's how IJO organic worm castings look like - due to the lighting effect, the actual colour of the worm castings are alot darker than what's shown in the photograph below.

6774113739_23462a032e.jpg

Contrary to our expectations & creative imagination whereby faeces / stools are being associated with bad stench, the worm castings had a very earthy smell & is far from being revolting & assaulting to our common senses as humans! :rolleyes:

Edited by edenstrauss

Here's the procedure for making organic worm tea using IJO Organic Worm Castings.

But before we walk through these photographs, I would like to thank Powan for time & effort in demonstrating the procedures & setting up the dispenser for me. And what lovely, beautiful hands she has in these photographs! :sport-smiley-004:

Firstly, we started off with a water dispenser which I am told could be bought from selective hardware stores & Giant:

6774180255_d0343bb7d3.jpg

IMPORTANT! Prior to using the dispenser, please take note that users are to check that the rubber washers shaped in the form of discs with a hole in the centre are in correct position.

The washers are to be in place to prevent water leakages from the dispenser.

And users are to ensure that the tightening nut located inside the dispenser is tightened & secured.

I would also recommend that users do a test for leaking before using the dispenser for making worm tea. Fill it with a little water such that the water level goes above the dispensing tap & wait to see if any water leaks out from the external rubber washer located directly behind the tap.

If it doesn't, then it is ready for containing worm tea. :)

Edited by edenstrauss

A fabric soup bag in the form of a thin, gauzy material is used for containing the worm castings :

6774113711_723e09527d.jpg

Using a clean & disposable spoon, the worm castings is being scooped & placed into the soup bag as shown in the photograph below:

6774113745_cab69b8143.jpg

After the soup bag is filled up with worm castings, the draw-string is being pulled to shut the opening of the soup bag & being knotted twice.

This is to ensure that the contents (worm castings) in the soup bag are secured within before being placed into the dispenser.

Edited by edenstrauss

The soup bag of worm castings is then placed into the dispenser as shown in the photograph below:

6774113753_3e99fc9e1f.jpg

Tap water is then added into the dispenser :

6774122825_6301824b37.jpg

After the dispenser is filled with water, "dunking" is encouraged to promote aeration to the worm tea in the absence of an air pump.

Please allow me to explain that "dunking" is a process of plunging in the bag of worm castings into the water (inside the dispenser) & pulling it out; and repeating this cycle all over again.

This is to promote a supply of oxygen to the bacteria which is essential for promoting nutrients to healthy plants through the soil. As such, an air pump would be ideal

6774122833_8051aebd22.jpg

As an everyday user of the worm tea for my plants, I would also think that "dunking" is essential to ensure that the residues that had permeated the soup bag into the worm tea would be mixed well before the tea is dispensed for watering the plants.

Please take note that after preparing worm tea for the FIRST TIME, it is only ready for use AFTER 24 hours. Thereafter, all u need to do is to simply top up whenever u perceive the need to do so & dispense the worm tea for use at any point in time.

Edited by edenstrauss

Introducing oxygen into the dispenser of worm tea:

A slim plastic tube had been connected to the air pump (meant for fish tanks) and inserted through the cover of the dispenser:

6774598985_0eb574f3ce.jpg

A hole has been created through drilling through the cover of the dispenser as you can see from the photograph below:

6774598989_5336456b5a.jpg

Edited by edenstrauss

An air-stone had been inserted through the other end of the plastic tube:

6774599005_739acfa3d7.jpg

A generous supply of oxygen had been given to the worm tea in the dispenser as shown in the photograph below:

6774598995_8ba59800c3.jpg

Edited by edenstrauss

For the very first time of preparing the worm tea, the dispenser should be almost filled, not to the brim of course. Reason being that the air-pump would create lot's of bubbles & you wouldn't want the worm tea to spill out from the cover of the dispenser!

As I've been dispencing worm tea from the dispenser pretty consistently every day, the water level had gone down as shown in the photograph:

6774599003_d4d5b447a5.jpg

I'll be topping it up with tap water only after we're almost done in using up the worm tea in the dispenser.

Edited by edenstrauss

Applying worm tea to plants:

I would usually water my plants in the morning before I start of my day at work in the office.

Firstly, I would lift up the lid of the dispenser & start "dunking" the soup bag of worn castings in the worm tea. I had preferred doing so becox "dunking" would ensure that the residue collected at the bottom of the dispenser would be stirred up & a consistency of the contents of which the worm tea is made up of, has been achieved throughout the entire dispenser.

6780876387_d2528285ac.jpg

My plants wouldn't be missing out in any stuff that's yummy for it to thrive. :)

Edited by edenstrauss

After "dunking" the soup bag of worm castings in the dispenser, drop it back in and start dispensing worm tea into a watering can.

In my case, I chose to use an empty mineral water bottle to collect the worm tea.

6780876401_3ec1bec8c4.jpg

However please make sure that it is clean for use. I would usually fill it with a little water from the tap & shake it before discarding the water.

Edited by edenstrauss

Once the required amount of worn tea had been collected in the bottle, close the opening with its plastic cap.

Prior to pouring the worm tea into the soil, shake it up so that the residue doesn't get collected at the bottom of the bottle while watering the plants.

6780862401_807219a95a.jpg

Once the worm tea had been well shaken in the bottle, you are ready to water the plants now. I would pour the worm tea directly onto the soil of my potted plants.

Edited by edenstrauss

I would always take note of how the soil takes in fluids e.g. worm tea, water, liquid fertiliser, etc.

When the fluid used for watering sinks in really fast, I think the soil is probably dehydrated as the texture is far from being sandy.

But if the fluid sinks down into the soil really fast & leaks out straight away from the bottom, it's a bad issue too. There are high chances that the soil cannot retain nutrients since fluids are flushed out directly after watering the plants!

If fluids which is worm tea in this case, gets absorbed gradually, then it suggests good drainage.

In my plants' case, the worm team sinks in gradually. However, what was alarming is that it seems like my ginger plants are outgrowing their new pots again. :(

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I need not re-pot them all over again becox I've just re-potted quite recently...

Edited by edenstrauss

The Story Of My "tree" Musketeers Gardening outside HDB flatsThere was quite a shower yesterday & not as much sunlight as desired for photosynthesis.

As such, I halved the quantity of worm tea & fed it to my plants through the soil.

Let's take a look at the progression of my plants which are affectionately known as my 3 musketeers in another separate thread at the following link with the title The Story Of My "tree" Musketeers Gardening outside HDB flats:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44590&st=40&gopid=691338entry691338

(been lazy to upload these photographs individually as there are just too many of them so have decided to consolidate all these photos into 1 single photograph... hope the reader doesn't see stars :wacko: )

6834844825_baece4db07_z.jpg

Edited by edenstrauss

Oops overwatered my ginger plants but with worm tea as there is very little sunlight & there's plenty of showers for the past 2 weeks...

6780862383_c12d897d96.jpg

Edited by edenstrauss