Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sohck

Simei Green Minor Renovation

Hi Friends New and Old:

After 2 years and 4 months (my last update to my t-Blog was on 23 Oct 2009, see http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21050&st=480) I am back to this forum again.

This time we have two projects: The first is to do minor renovation for my EC (now "condo" because it is more than 10 years old) and the other, also minor renovation for my HDB flat at Delta Avenue.

Here's some background information - we bought the Simei Green EC in 1997, TOP 1999 and stayed there till 2009 when we shifted to our current Delta Avenue HDB flat. The condo is now rented to a Korean family since then. They have not been taking good care so the condo is kinda in a mess right now. We figure that we should do some minor renovation so as to fetch a better rental for our next tenant.

As for our HDB flat, we will be some minor reno to one or more (not decided yet) of the rooms so that my kids (now 12 and 9) could have their own rooms. More on my existing "City Living" t-Blog. I am going to continue where I left off earlier.

Ok, so read on for more on the Simei Green minor reno and move to my "City Living" t-Blog for my HDB minor reno.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The minor reno/maintenance/touch-up we need to do includes:

- Marble polishing (and filling up the gaps and cracks) for living and dining area

- Parquet re-varnish for the three bedrooms

- Painting the entire unit in white (as preferred by my agent) or off-white (as preferred by my wife)

- Dismantle and replace the two vanity sets in the two bathrooms - there was an outbreak of termite two years back so I think it will be wise to replace the wooden set with something that is termite resistance (steel, plastic, whatever)

- Patch false ceiling at common toilet - the water tank leaked about three years back, leaving a very ugly patch on the false ceiling

- Change cabinet handles (24 total) in kitchen

- Install a piece of plywood on the cabinet under the kitchen sink - existing one in very bad condition because of the leak

- Replace cooking hob

- Dismantle and replace curtain tracks in two bedrooms

And massive cleaning of the house. Depending on who the new tenant is, we might have to replace our 2 x 13-year-old Sony CRT TV, sofa (in very bad condition now), washing machine, TV console, dining and coffee table.

My budget is only $5,000 for all these. Do you think I can make it? I am not sure at this moment.

Yesterday we got two contractors to visit our Simei Condo so that they can give us a quote on the work to be done. We received our first quotation last night and it was quite a shock. Read on for the quotation.

This is the first quotation we received, I will not disclose the Contractor name here. But I must say the price do give all of us a shock.

Marble Polishing$800.00

Marble Filling $250.00

Parquet Revarnish $950.00

Painting $1,300.00

Dismantle 2 x Vanity Set $100.00

Supply & Install 2 x Vanity Set $1,200.00

Touch Up Toilet / False Ceiling $80.00

Supply & Install 24 Cabinet Handles $280.00

Supply & Install Plywood below Sink $100.00

Cooker Hob $350.00

Dismantle and Replace Curtain Tracls $120.00

Acid Wash $200.00

Dispose Bulky Items $280.00

Replace WC Seat Cover $50.00

Friends who read my previous t-Blog know that I love to post pictures because I am not good with words. However, I do not have any pictures of the condo unit to share now for the privacy of my tenants. But I will share those pictures when they move out on 23 Mar 2012.

I need to revise on how to post pictures. Forgot how to do it after all this while.

Edited by sohck

- Marble polishing (and filling up the gaps and cracks) for living and dining area

- Painting the entire unit in white (as preferred by my agent) or off-white (as preferred by my wife)

- Dismantle and replace the two vanity sets in the two bathrooms - there was an outbreak of termite two years back so I think it will be wise to replace the wooden set with something that is termite resistance (steel, plastic, whatever)

- Patch false ceiling at common toilet - the water tank leaked about three years back, leaving a very ugly patch on the false ceiling

- Install a piece of plywood on the cabinet under the kitchen sink - existing one in very bad condition because of the leak

- Replace cooking hob

And massive cleaning of the house. Depending on who the new tenant is, we might have to replace our 2 x 13-year-old Sony CRT TV, sofa (in very bad condition now), washing machine, TV console, dining and coffee table.

My budget is only $5,000 for all these. Do you think I can make it? I am not sure at this moment.

Yesterday we got two contractors to visit our Simei Condo so that they can give us a quote on the work to be done. We received our first quotation last night and it was quite a shock. Read on for the quotation.

hi i cant pm u maybe u can pm your email.

hi i cant pm u maybe u can pm your email.

Hi Monday,

Sorry my PM was full.

I have since cleared it, you may PM me now.

PS: I have difficulty sending you a PM too. Guess I have been out of this for too long.

Edited by sohck

- Painting the entire unit in white (as preferred by my agent)

or off-white (as preferred by my wife)

Since it's for rental u can actually consider buying 2nd fr craiglist, I sold mine furnitures there at cheap prices like $68 for bedframe, dining set for $100.. N most buyer actually buy fr their apartment for rental. If u choose carefully, some stuff r n good conditions

- Replace cooking hob

My Indian tenants broke the lease last month as he has found a job in the USA and would be relocating there. I went back to my condo on Sunday to take a look and found that it is in a very bad condition.

Guess it is time now to do another minor renovation.

I have thrown out most of the furniture, sofa (all black beyond cleaning), coffee table, TV console (already collapsed), dining table, a double bed and a single bed. That will make the renovation easier and faster.

I have also asked a contractor for a quotation on the renovation. Will be posting the cost soon.