Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
XTR

S&s Self-Designed Home In The East

Finally done up our home and would like to journal our renovation. Like many, I stalked renotalk and learnt a lot. I also got my fair share of scam and joy and would like to share with all. We have already moved in for 3 months and after settling down, I can now post the past pictures. I hope you will benefit from our experiences and have the joy of designing your own flat. There are also quite a number of DIY projects. Lastly I would like to thank all the Mid Century themed home owners who helped answer my private qns.

I also promised my main contractor that I will do a write up for him because he has been really nice and obliging to us.

Below is my attached floor plan of my flat. It's one of the flat near the sea.

floorplan.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

below is a sneak peek to our white brick wall and brass snack bike

IMG_2347.jpg

Before we started out our reno, we knew what theme we wanted and tried to go about it. We wanted a homely mid century/manhattan/industrial theme. Hope we managed to achieve it in the end while keeping the costs down.

The colours that we have chosen will be primary black/white/grey/brown. We feel too many colours is too jarring but this is up to the home owner preference. Personally, it makes a difference if matt colour is chosen instead glossy. imho.

One impt "research" that we found out was that friends tend to spend more on renovation than their furnishings. Once you spend all the money on reno then there will be little to spend on impt home equipment. We believe its the little items and knickknacks from our life's journey that will define the home.

Edited by XTR

my contractor is Alan Contractor who is very famous here in renotalk

Pros:

1. Because he is not an ID (but he can still design because he has been in this line for long), his prices are cheaper.

2. He has a good team of plumbers, electrician, carpenters that only complained once throughout the whole reno process.

3. He takes pride in his job.

4. He has that chemistry with me which is so impt.

5. He has no GST and hidden cost (very impt). There were certain issues like I needed an extension to a wall or extra paint or an exrra kerb which he absorbed. Only major additions like adding a door or additional cove lighting will he charge extra.

6. I have never seen him gotten angry over a customer while we were having lunch together and the customer kept commanding him to rectify the misalignment in the wall. Anyway, we are quite chill over imperfections.

7. He gives me extra time to do our DIY projects.

Cons:

1. He is busy busy busy until he forgets what the minute details like what colour door handle. You will need to constantly remind him. It doesnt matter if he makes the mistake beacause he will rectify it in the end.

2. Like point 1, he is busy so make sure you have the messages in your sms to prove to him.

Thank you Alan for making reno so fun and engaging.

Edited by XTR

Before the flat was hacked down, went to buy some paints to get a feel of the colours.

IMG_1006.jpg

went to egg3 which have many interesting things. go for their discounted items which will be much cheaper.

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

hi val, you are the one that came right?? so whats your decision?

wow...hi XTR..can share with me how you DIY the brick wall?

I wanted to do the brick wall but the craft stones cost is too much for me to bear. :jawdrop:

Psl share share. TIA :yamseng:

I wanted to do the brick wall but the craft stones cost is too much for me to bear. :jawdrop:

You can DIY u know. But I think lots of work and need correct tools.

hi val, you are the one that came right?? so whats your decision?

Yes :) We have decided to engage him. Tiles selection on next Monday, so excited! :thumbs up:

It is good that you have a blog, i believe it will benefit a lot of ppl here :D

yah...the brickwall is DIY.

I will definitely share how i save the 1.5k to 2k by not buying craft stone. Alan allowed me to waste time DIY-ing it. Do note DIY tend to have the raw feel and craftstone will look neater.

cost vs raw look.

Yes :) We have decided to engage him. Tiles selection on next Monday, so excited! :thumbs up:

It is good that you have a blog, i believe it will benefit a lot of ppl here :D

Remember to keep reminding him. Shiok all the best! Make some decisions early first. Tile selection is going to take a while.

=)