Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
san20sg

Renovating A Geylang Apartment

Now moving on to the dining room. I really cannot think of how to decorate this narrow space. Dimensions slightly smaller 6m x 3m.

Going to put 2 following ceiling lights here:

livingroomlight.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Was thinking of getting these chairs & table - would it match?

http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/S69889736/

http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/00210791/

Edited by san20sg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

This is my master bedroom

Very small. Two small weird windows on the side - thinking to cover that with an oil painting. This is on the second floor - faces out on the roads. Have to cover with blinds, curtains or tinted screen?

photo1kr.jpg

This is my master bedroom

Very small. Two small weird windows on the side - thinking to cover that with an oil painting. This is on the second floor - faces out on the roads. Have to cover with blinds, curtains or tinted screen?

photo1kr.jpg

Hi.. I have seen some angmo houses with small windows like that. You can put your bed against that wall. Something like that.

a-8.jpg

Can I suggest this table instead? It ties in with the black-brown finish of your TV console, its by and large quite solid in construction and materials, and its flexible because it's extendible.

As for the dining chairs, something a little more mid-century would work quite nicely, because the lamp is similar to the famous Artichoke lamp. What I suggest is the Bertoia Wire Side Chair, in either chrome or a powder-coated look (you might like to choose a poppy colour). Also I'm going to suggest getting it with the leather seat pad. Picket & Rail seems to sell replicas of this, though it seems to be priced at $179, much higher than your choice from Ikea.

I (randomly) found this Chinese modern-classics retailer, if you are interested you might like to see if it is cheaper there.

Edit: Apparently its RMB 580 per chair, shipping to Singapore is RMB 1200 (estimated price) - this excludes taxes though.

Oh and just one more thing, if you intend to get floating bedside tables, try using Ikea's FAKTUM wall-hung kitchen cabinet - it's a common Ikea DIY trick. And like I suggested with the Besta consoles, you can cover the top surface with a piece of back-painted glass panel, or even a piece of wood cut to the exact size.

Edited by gakuseisean

Thank gakuseisean, I will take your suggestion! I was looking at that ikea table too.

But will need to continue source other similar chairs as $179per chair is over our budget, our budget is around $90max per chair. Not familiar with the midcentury theme but it looks pretty interesting!

My hubby likes this chair from Lush too.

photokti.jpg

Can this match with the dining table you suggested? http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/60161660/#/40161661

Edited by san20sg

Hi.. I have seen some angmo houses with small windows like that. You can put your bed against that wall. Something like that.

a-8.jpg

Thanks valerie, this is very nice indeed! But my room got space constraint if I put my bed in the middle under the windows like that. Because the room does not come with an inbuilt wardrobe. It will be too small to buildup the wardrobe on either side of the queensize bed. The room is so small that it cannot even take a king-size bed.

Thank gakuseisean, I will take your suggestion! I was looking at that ikea table too.

But will need to continue source other similar chairs as $179per chair is over our budget, our budget is around $90max per chair. Not familiar with the midcentury theme but it looks pretty interesting!

My hubby likes this chair from Lush too.

photokti.jpg

Can this match with the dining table you suggested? http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/60161660/#/40161661

Yep that would work too! Alternatively, this Ikea Chair would be quite okay as well, it is reminiscent of Arne Jacobsen's Series 7 Chair (another design classic). Plus it's easy to clean - something that is essential when you have a child.

Edited by gakuseisean

Gosh got played out by my the kitchen renovator who I waited 2 weeks to come back from his overseas trip - increased the quote by almost 30% from $3400 to $4600. Kitchen top is another $1200. Are kitchen cabinets so ex nowsaday???

My master rm wardrobe at only 5.5ft was quoted $1595 @$290pf (aluminium glass sliding door).

Anyone can recommend a more affordable & reliable carpenter with good workmanship?

Many thanks!

Edited by san20sg

Yep that would work too! Alternatively, this Ikea Chair would be quite okay as well, it is reminiscent of Arne Jacobsen's Series 7 Chair (another design classic). Plus it's easy to clean - something that is essential when you have a child.

Great, then I shall go order tom or thurs. Just in case I couldn't get the lush chairs. How about these spiral chairs from lifespace concept? They have it in black, white & red colours.

ct8828cy222big.jpg

Or this?

eamesplasticchairj.jpg

Edited by san20sg

Gosh got played out by my the kitchen renovator who I waited 2 weeks to come back from his overseas trip - increased the quote by almost 30% from $3400 to $4600. Kitchen top is another $1200. Are kitchen cabinets so ex nowsaday???

My master rm wardrobe at only 5.5ft was quoted $1595 @$290pf (aluminium glass sliding door).

Anyone can recommend a more affordable & reliable carpenter with good workmanship?

Many thanks!

Yes carpentry is quite expensive nowadays

So i have no choice but to accept this revised quotation ah?? How can they anyhow increase price like this? Very insecure with the rest now, especially those works they have already completed. I am too scared for further heart attacks.

Edited by san20sg

Many thanks!

I think generally kitchen cabinets are 120pfr, & solid top 80 pfr. I've come across 60pfr solid top by Seng Kwong at Defu Lane, but I'm not sure if they're good so staying neutral. You might want to visit them to have a look?

Wardrobes with sliding door at 290pfr is considered good price leh. If you want cheaper, can consider casement or closet (ie pole system). Casement would be about 30-40pfr cheaper, & closet in Seng Kwong is cheaper so I assume it would be so elsewhere as well.

Quite upset loh, we have agreed at the price previously when I awarded the whole job, including hacking, relaying tiles to kitchen & toilets to the contractor. I know the contractor and thought he is quite a nice guy. Guess he sublet to another kitchen renovator who come back with a price much higher who claimed he quote wrongly. Price shot up another $1.5k which I can pay for all the window grilles to the house.

My god. pretty upset.

Edited by san20sg

Quite upset loh, we have agreed at the price previously when I awarded the whole job, including hacking, relaying tiles to kitchen & toilets to the contractor. I know the contractor and thought he is quite a nice guy. Guess he sublet to another kitchen renovator who come back with a price much higher who claimed he quote wrongly. Price shot up another $1.5k which I can pay for all the window grilles to the house.

My god. pretty upset.

Was there an initial signed quotation? If there is, then you shouldnt be paying for the increase.

But if it is just verbally then I guess you have to take it in your stride.

Stay cool and try to talk to him?

• Like 1

there was a quotation sent by email but it was not signed. I know the contractor previously so didn't think that was an issue. Hai, not liking renovations very much now.