Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi All

been a silent reader & really love the ideas that kept rolling in by members in this forum.

i've just selected a 4 room resale flat in the north east. will be staying with my 2 dogs & cat.

here's my flat layout:

487291_10150822157358078_27650652_n.jpg

am still contemplating whether to get an ID or contractor. i've always engaged an ID to handle everything but now that i'm alone, i thought of saving some costs to engage a contractor instead. any idea if the savings is significant?

will only be getting keys in 4th quarter. i know it's abit early but i'm so excited about my new place!

Edited by retchlow

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hello! Welcome~

Actually ID/ contractor price shouldn't have no difference because i saw some forumers posting contractor price more ex than ID price LOL :dribble:

So i feel you should get a couple of quotes, compare them and also see if you feel comfortable with the person doing your reno lo before selecting :)

And is that a bathtub in the common bath? Wow~

Have a smooth sailing renovation!

:yamseng: ,

Mike

Congrats! Which part of NE is your 4 rm flat? Are u doing a major overhaul of the place?

Any pics to show the condition of your place?

Hello! Welcome~

Actually ID/ contractor price shouldn't have no difference because i saw some forumers posting contractor price more ex than ID price LOL :dribble:

So i feel you should get a couple of quotes, compare them and also see if you feel comfortable with the person doing your reno lo before selecting :)

And is that a bathtub in the common bath? Wow~

Have a smooth sailing renovation!

:yamseng: ,

Mike

LOL!! it's not a bathtub in the common toilet,

it's a squat type WC :)

i've just selected a 4 room resale flat in the north east. will be staying with my 2 dogs & cat.

will only be getting keys in 4th quarter. i know it's abit early but i'm so excited about my new place!

2 dogs & cat ? They can stay together ?

We also bought resale flat n will be getting key in Q4, already talking to few IDs n contractors .. Still waiting for their quotation. No harm to start earlier so that won't be rush at the end ~ good luck ..

yup! all 3 stay together in perfect harmony. =)

the flat was tenanted & owned by JTC so it's in original condition. definitely needs complete makeover. walls seem good so don't think need to do any plastering.

488317_10150822352353078_376264971_n.jpg

403974_10150822352383078_1142915027_n.jpg

399442_10150822352438078_181874924_n.jpg

396852_10150822352418078_506286340_n.jpg

i'm thinking of a scandinavian/minimalist theme. too many ideas going thru my head now. i was toying with the possibility to knock down the walls b/w the MBR & Bedroom 2 & also the wall between Bedroom 1 & the Living room to create one big living hall. many hackings = many $$$ =(

Wooo nice big kitchen :jawdrop:

Can cook for your pets

Hope to c your reno pics soon :yamseng:

Not sure why you can't view the pictures???

was playing around with the layout (was thinking of knocking down some walls) & would like some advices:

Layout 1:

283757_10150831599048078_741079022_n.jpg

Layout 2:

418183_10150836347143078_397372164_n.jpg

Original Layout here:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/487291_10150822157358078_27650652_n.jpg

Problem with layout 1 is, i don't know what to do with the other spare bedroom. Layout 2 looks shockingly spacious & it looked more like a 1 bedder :o

Suggestions?

been busy sourcing for quotes the past 2 months. i think i'm pretty close to sourcing for about 10 IDs/contractors so far.

But i've only received 4 quotes & still waiting for 3 more quotes. this is the list by far:

1) U Home (Pen - ID) - met up 2 mths ago but no quote yet. think they aren't keen in doing business

2) Design Ministry (ID - recommended by colleague) - quote submitted. way exceeded budget by at least $10k.

3) Prozfile (Alvin - ID) - saw their booth at a recent exhibition at expo. love their designs. quote was ok (mid range)

4) Vace (Vincent - Contractor) - recommended by colleague. suprisingly expensive, despite being a contractor.

5) Renozone (Colin - ID) - recommended by friend. very prompt & sincere. quote by far is the lowest. shortlisted.

6) AMDA Interior (Ambrose) - recommended by friend. waiting for quote

7) Mr K - contractor - recommended by Renotalk members. meeting him this sat.

8) Ming Hui - ID - recommended by agent. waiting for quote.

Contractors aren't exactly cheap, I realised. So far, Renozone provided the most competitive quote. Colin sounded really nice & sincere (he's a personal friend of my friend). Most likely may appoint him but am keeping fingers crossed till i get the remaining 3 quotes.

Sourcing for quotes is yet another tiring journey to getting a new home.

been eyeing this bamboo charcoal mattress which was retailing at OM & finally dropped by the store to look at it. finally caved in to my temptation & paid a deposit (and i'm only getting my keys in Jan!) for it. the sales person said it's not too early as they need at least 3 months to place the order for the bed & mattress.

540951_10150925117563078_1777416737_n.jpg

Top photo: is the mattress. Bottom pic: the bed frame (but not the color i want. will select the color later when paying the balance).

saw this sofa that i liked & it costs less than $1,000 after discount. OMG. I am so tempted.

45272_10150925103408078_250211274_n.jpg

i found this really nice looking ceiling fan but it's only available in australia.

HP-338.jpg

was toying with the idea of buying it online & have it shipped here but not sure if it can be used in singapore. :rolleyes:

been eyeing this bamboo charcoal mattress which was retailing at OM & finally dropped by the store to look at it. finally caved in to my temptation & paid a deposit (and i'm only getting my keys in Jan!) for it. the sales person said it's not too early as they need at least 3 months to place the order for the bed & mattress.

540951_10150925117563078_1777416737_n.jpg

Top photo: is the mattress. Bottom pic: the bed frame (but not the color i want. will select the color later when paying the balance).

saw this sofa that i liked & it costs less than $1,000 after discount. OMG. I am so tempted.

45272_10150925103408078_250211274_n.jpg

Hi! Is the 2 seater sofa from OM as well? You might want to reconsider your purchase for the sofa if you are on the heavy side. I rejected two of their sofas when the high density foam started to sink after 1-2 weeks of usage. My weight is 90kg.

hey thanks for the caution! my weight is in the mid-range but still, i think the sofa might sink in after some time if that's the case. i'll look around some more.

tired from all the sourcing of quotations. finally shortlisted 3. I think i've approached more than 10 companies so far & 10 quotes were received. This is the latest summary of the quotes I've gotten - and yes, this will be the final list. no more looking around. it's really tiring!

1) U Home (Pen - ID) - met up 2 mths ago but no quote yet. think they aren't keen in doing business

2) Design Ministry (ID - recommended by colleague) - quote submitted. way exceeded budget by at least $10k.

3) Prozfile (Alvin - ID) - saw their booth at a recent exhibition at expo. love their designs. quote was ok (mid range)

4) Vace (Vincent - Contractor) - recommended by colleague. suprisingly expensive, despite being a contractor.

5) Renozone (Colin - ID) - recommended by friend. very prompt & sincere. quote among the top 3 most competitive.

6) AMDA Interior (Ambrose) - recommended by friend. quote among the top 3 most competitive.

7) Mr K - contractor - recommended by Renotalk members. very expensive.

8) Ming Hui - ID - recommended by agent. ex as well.

9) Jiawei - recommended by renotalk member. quote was rather ex.

10) Aian (Alan - contractor) - recommended by renotalk members. quote among the top 3 most competitive.

So, I've shortlisted the following:

1) Renozone (Colin - ID)

- recommended by friend. Colin is the boss. Very busy man but never fails to return my calls when I have questions about the quote

- met up with him once & he showed me a unit which he renovated a year ago

- very good after sales service (from what I have observed when the flat owner allowed him to bring customers to view the unit) & honest as well

2) AMDA Interior (Ambrose - ID)

- recommended by friend

- new company but Ambrose is not new to the industry.

- the main con is that his company is not a HDB registered reno co

3) Aian (Alan - contractor)

- recommended by renotalk members

- provided the lowest quote

- have heard & read a mix of reviews about him

• Like 1