Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Isaac

Other Than L Box And Cove, What Else?

Hi All,

relatively new here, been reading quite a number of topics but can't really get much ideas on lighting for living room.

As far as home designs go, there are a myriad to choose from but when it comes to lighting designs, seems that every ID will suggest either Lbox with downlights or cove lighting or both... Is there anything else?

I'm looking at doing lighting in the living room without too much compromise on ceiling height as the ceiling itself is not really that high to begin with. I like the "sleekness" of the Lbox and cove as in they both hide obtrusive lighting and yet provides illumination but just wonder if there is anything else.

Thanks in advance

Isaac

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi,

I will be using the track lighting system for my resale flat ...getting keys on sept.... I do not fancy convention ceiling lights and crystals, and no budget to do L-box and false ceiling...so i think track lights is my best options.

The tracks cost about SGD$10 per meter and the lights cost about $12 to $15 per unit.

I do not fancy convention ceiling lights and crystals, and no budget to do L-box and false ceiling...so i think track lights is my best options.

BTW the track lights @ $12.00 comes with Halogen bulb...which is 50W....i suggest you get the LEDs bulbs for these...locally selling $40 per unit for 6Watts...but there is always TAOBAO and ALI express (Wink)....

track-lighting-bh4.jpgBucknam_128_132-14.jpgceiling-lighting-fixtures-living-room-design-ideas.gifbedroom-lighting-ideas-with-track-lighting.jpgModern-Lights-Good-Quality-Lighting.jpg

Edited by Royele

I assume pic 1 use mainly led strips for cove lighting, as for pic 2, some use fluorescence light, or LED T5 tube hidden away inside the acrylic cover.

now i'm in a dilemma about lightings. v headache.

just do false ceiling seems the easiest. is it also the cheapest?

Haha bro, i believe we have the same dilema....head very big now...but i would most likely go for track lights which is cheapest and provide more versatility....at least it is not the usual square or circle type of boring ceiling lights. I am going for rustic industrial theme, so i think the track lights fits in good...

Hi,

I will be using the track lighting system for my resale flat ...getting keys on sept.... I do not fancy convention ceiling lights and crystals, and no budget to do L-box and false ceiling...so i think track lights is my best options.

The tracks cost about SGD$10 per meter and the lights cost about $12 to $15 per unit.

I do not fancy convention ceiling lights and crystals, and no budget to do L-box and false ceiling...so i think track lights is my best options.

BTW the track lights @ $12.00 comes with Halogen bulb...which is 50W....i suggest you get the LEDs bulbs for these...locally selling $40 per unit for 6Watts...but there is always TAOBAO and ALI express (Wink)....

track-lighting-bh4.jpgBucknam_128_132-14.jpgceiling-lighting-fixtures-living-room-design-ideas.gifbedroom-lighting-ideas-with-track-lighting.jpgModern-Lights-Good-Quality-Lighting.jpg

hi there, getting track lights is something different, a change from the usual L-box / cove light u see in most homes... From the pictures u posted, just the bedroom alone, u will be using about 10 bulbs @ 50w each = 500w. Do u think the room will feel too hot for ur comfort ? Have u considered the power consumption ? Maybe led will be a better choice compared to a halogen bulb, but do consider if the led lights are enough to brighten the whole room as led light focus on a point.

now i'm in a dilemma about lightings. v headache.

just do false ceiling seems the easiest. is it also the cheapest?

how cheap u want depends what u need n what u want... the cheapest way ? get a ceiling light... if u can spend slightly more, go for a simple L-box. You still can get a sleek look with enough clearance for a ceiling fan.

false ceiling is more for dual purposes. beside downlights, false ceiling can do cover up like air-con trunking, uneven concrete ceiling, exposed wirings etc... unless u have a lot of cover up to do, L-box will be a better choice.

Sometimes ppl wants to save costs at the beginning stage but end up spending more at the later stage. Do weigh the pros n cons before commiting.

hi there, getting track lights is something different, a change from the usual L-box / cove light u see in most homes... From the pictures u posted, just the bedroom alone, u will be using about 10 bulbs @ 50w each = 500w. Do u think the room will feel too hot for ur comfort ? Have u considered the power consumption ? Maybe led will be a better choice compared to a halogen bulb, but do consider if the led lights are enough to brighten the whole room as led light focus on a point.

Hi Speed45,

I am not using the Halogen buld for the MR16 track lights, i convert them to MR16 LED 6w which is cheap if you know where to get them. Locally selling about SGD$40 per LED MR16 bulb, i got it much cheaper...so i order about 30pcs of it...saves me on the shipping charges...

hey guys

is there any other way to cover up like air-con trunking and exposed wirings? prefer to put 1 nice chandelier at the living rm and dining area. any idea how much lighting point is given?