Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
June

Bachelorette Pad

Hello everyone,

This is June. I'm a newbie to renotalk. I just bought a resale flat in good condition and everyone's been telling me that i just need to bring my luggage and move in. Most of them couldnt understand why i want to do renovation after paying a relatively high COV for a well maintained unit that has been unoccupied for several years. The flat has a white theme and the kitchen has a cottage design. Very cosy and feminine feel. Although I don't dislike cottage design, I do find it a bit dated, especially the kitchen tiles which are brown, my most dislike colour. My preference is a modern clean design in white and pine. But I also think it's quite a waste to hack away a relatively new kitchen. So my dilemma is shall I overhaul the kitchen or shall i do minimal works? I'm posting some pix of the cabinet and the tiles which I took with I phone. The pix are not very good bcos I took them in a hurry. Hope to hear from you all soon.photo_zps785e82e0.jpg

photo_zpsc020e324.jpg

image_zpse1ef5080.jpg

image_zpsf80132a9.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

June, a warm welcome to Renotalk.

If you plan to keep the current kitchen cabinet, you can try to box it up and cover the pipings, that will saves you time from cleaning the top of the cupboards. I personally dislike doing that, oilly cupboard top hard to maintain.

As for the brown tiles. You can overlay them to save cost of hacking and changing to new tiles.

Once you box up the top, you can hack off the middle part and make a wet splash. To cover that option. That is just my personal opinion.

Other members might be able to give you more creative ideas. :yamseng:

I was in the same condition as you. Every one tells me my house no need to reno, very good condition. But I still hack everything away. Your house you must like. The reno must be a reflection of your personality. Otherwise the best reno will still be an eyesore if you don't like it.

Welcome to RT!! It's depends on how long you plan to stay here and whether this will be your home or for investment.

If it will be your home, then better for you to Reno to whatever design you like and reflect your lifestyle. Or else everyday you go back, you will not be feeling satisfied.

Hi Suyun,

Thanks for your suggestions! Will keep in mind when I finally meet the ID or contractor. I'm also toying with the idea of painting white over the brown kitchen wall tiles. I think they would turn out like squarish white bricks, which I don't mind.

hi Minerat, May

I totally agree with you! I have so many ideas for the kitchen and so many DIY projects I want to try. But I'm also careful with the Reno costs bcos I do not wish to take a renovation loan. I belong to the group that prefer to spend more on furniture and furnishing than the renovation works. anyway, I shall take my time to do research and explore the various options. Your suggestions are most welcomed!

Don't have many pic of my new place but here is a pix of the balcony, which I fell in love with the first time I stepped into the flat. hope the pix appears below.

a>

Edited by June

June

When you post the photo, there is a box with a image of a tree, click on

Copy and paste your link from photo bucket and insert image. Paste over the "http" then press the insert image.

Hi, I don't see any image of a tree...gosh, I'm such an IT idiot!

Edited by June

Use this without the space: [ img ]address[ /img ]

That shld work.

Edited by Batman

Ta-da!! There it is!

Now let me try to post the pix of the living room and kitchen. For some ridiculous reason, I lost the pix of the other rooms. Will post them later when I go to the flat for a visit.

Here's the spotless living room

photo_zpsb24119ef.jpg

I 'borrowed' this shot from the ad that the seller agent put up. Hope he doesn't mind.

photo_zps02df5968.jpg

The cottage design kitchen

image_zpse1ef5080.jpg

another shot of the kitchen

image_zpsf80132a9.jpg

Here is the floor plan

photo_zpseb11a89d.jpg

It is 5i model. Originally 3 bedrooms plus 1 study room. but the first owner hacked off the study room. So the living and dining areas are more spacious now.

Have plenty of ideas for this flat. Will post them some other time. Good night!

There u go. U aren't such an IT id*** after all leh. Haha....

Congrats on ur purchase. Wishing u a smooth reno!

Here is the floor plan

photo_zpseb11a89d.jpg

It is 5i model. Originally 3 bedrooms plus 1 study room. but the first owner hacked off the study room. So the living and dining areas are more spacious now.

Have plenty of ideas for this flat. Will post them some other time. Good night!

Welcome June!

Big place u got there! Out of curiosity... Single can buy 5 rooms? I m a single lady who just bought 3 rooms hdb... Keke... Find it too small for me and my fur kid..