Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
June

Bachelorette Pad

Thanks Batman!

hope the balcony pix turned up here

photo_zps203a4fa3.jpg

Nice greenery view! I also fell in love with this greenery view. It's so nice to look at the green trees when you look out from the window, good for the eyesight too! LOL

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

It's been 5 months since I posted a msg in this blog and I almost couldn't locate the blog in renotalk!

In the past 5 months, I have gone for my 1st and 2nd appointments, collected my keys, sourced for IDs/Contractors etc. Renovation finally started on Monday. Its sad to see the flat being hacked since it was in pretty good condition. I even hosted CNY-eve dinner for my family in my empty flat!

Here are some pix of the flat before renovation

Balcony

photo_zps121cf0a5.jpg

View from dining room

photo_zps62a4a149.jpg

View of living room

photo_zps3cd98d93.jpg

view of kitchen

photo_zpsf7090671.jpg

View of one of the 3 bedrooms

photo_zps593fc6fd.jpg

Edited by June

I had only intended to renovate the kitchen and MBR toilet. Since the flat looked like its in good condition and very clean, I didnt want to spend more money doing a complete overhaul. But like what many people say, expect the unexpected during renovation. How true it is ! ..After the first day of hacking, my contractor told me they discovered many hollow tiles in the flat, which means I will eventually be faced with the problem of popping tiles. Doing the tiles for the living/dining/3 bedrooms/storeroom will cost a significant amount. Ouch!! Kind of feel like an idiot as I paid high COV for my flat. Anyway, the entire place now looks like it has been hit by cyclone...

photo_zpsb7ad5082.jpg

photo_zpsb5068aea.jpg

photo_zpsbdeab0ef.jpg

Edited by June

Yup, i think the highest cost for me was the tiling for the whole house, especially toilets and kitchen was the wall also need some tiles..... All the best!

It's been two weeks since Reno started and everything is going well. Contractor does such a good job of supervising the work that I don't even need to be there regularly. Finally dropped by this morning bcos of aircon installation and was pleasantly surprised that floor tiling has progressed so much.

Tilers hard at work....(they finally got to see the elusive owner:) )

photo_zpse27fe150.jpg

My lovely wood tiles...workmanship is good too

photo_zpsc0b9cc52.jpg

Hard to find a spot to take pix..

photo_zps074ea5f3.jpg

kitchen walls are all gone

photo_zpsdbc012cd.jpg

New door for MBR

photo_zps0317724f.jpg

Edited by June

It's been two weeks since Reno started and everything is going well. Contractor does such a good job of supervising the work that I don't even need to be there regularly. Finally dropped by this morning bcos of aircon installation and was pleasantly surprised that floor tiling has progressed so much.

Tilers hard at work....(they finally got to see the elusive owner:) )

photo_zpse27fe150.jpg

My lovely wood tiles...workmanship is good too

photo_zpsc0b9cc52.jpg

Hard to find a spot to take pix..

photo_zps7618debd.jpg

kitchen walls are all gone

photo_zpsdbc012cd.jpg

New door for MBR

photo_zps0317724f.jpg

hahaha.. elusive owner! thats a funny way to put it :D . Wow, i thought the tiles was laminates when i first saw it, looks so 'wood-ish'! Nice! Does it have the 'wooden grains" when u step on it or just a smooth surface like tiles?

oh ya, now i get what u mean by having no space to take photos. :P

hahaha.. elusive owner! thats a funny way to put it :D . Wow, i thought the tiles was laminates when i first saw it, looks so 'wood-ish'! Nice! Does it have the 'wooden grains" when u step on it or just a smooth surface like tiles?

oh ya, now i get what u mean by having no space to take photos. :P

The grains on the tiles look pretty realistic but unfortunately they feel just like tiles, though less cold. Definitely not as warm and cosy as good laminates. But I decided to go with tiles bcos I'm highly allergic to dust mites and mould and was concerned that laminates may turn mouldy underneath.

I think this also partly explains why I hardly visit the work site. So much dust flying around !

Edited by June

Even though this is the third week of my reno, I have actually not finalized my design. I still haven't decided what laminate I should use. I'm adopting a 'revise-as-you-go-along' attitude. Some people may find it unthinkable but its working out for me. The reason being I have so many ideas that I can't decide which one is best. While i have little interest in the actual works like piping, wiring, hacking, and tiling etc, I am very hands-on when it comes to design. What started out as a French-feel design has since evolved into modern Scandinavian. And in the past week, I have this inkling that it's slowly turning into something rustic industrial bcos I find myself being attracted to wood-and-steel combo. But I hope it doesn't get too industrial or I will have to change my blog name to 'Bachelor pad'.

Anyway, here are some pretty pictures

photo_zps87301e53.jpg

Love this green vintage lamp which was salvaged from the old Mindef years ago, but hate the price -$499

photo_zpsbc61774d.jpg

Bought this from a Dempsey road restaurant which was undergoing renovation. it was originally from a primary school in Sri Lanka. Not sure if I will install this bcos I find it too big, though contractor said the size is just right.

photo_zpsb2e7c608.jpg

Simply love this table made from poplar wood. Still considering whether to buy it.

photo_zps82a868c4.jpg

I think this will go well with the table

photo_zpse647785a.jpg

Or perhaps a more feminine version?

Edited by June

photo_zpsf7823d4a.jpg

This is likely to be on my dining room wall

photo_zpsa8d56e29.jpg

These cuties were salvaged from the flat's country style kitchen.

Edited by June

Hi June,

:yamseng: on your new bachelorette pad and to Me too! :sport-smiley-018:

but mine is in Punggol and my resale 5I (112sqm) is much smaller than yours..

Oh wow for the awesome workmanship on the tiling in your living.. though i couldn't see much of flooring but still visible enough to get an accolades!

Would you care to share your contractor's contact for the flooring? as I intend to reno my living, kitchen and the two toilets.

Could you PM me ?:paint: I got it! Thank you.

Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!

Edited by Shopgal

Hi June,

:yamseng: on your new bachelorette pad and to Me too! :sport-smiley-018:

but mine is in Punggol and my resale 5I (112sqm) is much smaller than yours..I'm looking forward to my 1st appt with HDB 3rd week of April this month..

Oh BTW, Wow for the awesome workmanship on the tiling in your living.. though i couldn't see much of flooring but still visible enough to get an accolades!

Would you care to share your contractor's contact for the flooring? as I intend to reno my living, kitchen and the two toilets.

Could you PM me or email me at shopgal@hotmail.sg :paint: I got it! Thank you.

Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!

Hi, have pmed you. Good luck!

Contemplating how muchof my flooring I should do wood-like tiles too! Can share where u got those tiles from, the price n item code? Thanks!

hi, the tiles are from hafary. I think the price is $3. I dont have the code but I think there are few wood tiles in hafary that are of that price. So you should be able to find it easily. Good luck!

More picture update after a quick visit to the flat this morning.

photo_zps48879811.jpg

MBR toilet wall tiles are up. Neat and clean looking. Will add some greenery here when reno is done.

photo_zpsf109a2c3.jpg

See the monster pipe on the floor? Contractor joked that it's like an arm rest for my WC. Now he has to think of a way to conceal it, since I'm not going to have a vanity counter.

photo_zps87b906c0.jpg

Kitchen flooring is in too! Colour was recommended by contractor for contrast with the wood tiles elsewhere. I'm not keen on grey but decided to take a risk and go with his suggestion. So he should be feeling the pressure to pull off the look, not me! Haha..

photo_zpscb34754b.jpg

Here's where the washing machine will be. The ugly pipes are hidden underneath the raised floor.

photo_zps37c6db5f.jpg

Where dining meets kitchen...

Edited by June