Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
EiraEddy

Balcony Issue

Good day people,

I really need some advice. I just got my keys to my EA in Jurong. Think everybody knows that new flats are **** small and due to the layout of my unit, the living area is small and I was thinking of levelling up my balcony to make my hall looks bigger. I've enquired with an ID co. if it's possible for me to level it up and put up windows instead of having wrought iron grilles. I was told that due to the new HDB regulations, levelling up of the balcony is now no longer allowed. Is this true?? :dunno:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

really? leveling the balcony is not allowed by HDB? where did you read this "new" policy/law?

i just bought a new flat too and having the same issue like you. I want to leveling my balcony that i have and plus i want to took out all the grill for all my windows. I wonder whether is this allow or not by HDB

really? leveling the balcony is not allowed by HDB? where did you read this "new" policy/law?

i just bought a new flat too and having the same issue like you. I want to leveling my balcony that i have and plus i want to took out all the grill for all my windows. I wonder whether is this allow or not by HDB

FYI:

If cannot use EPF, then how to top up floor? Anyone?

Hi all, my ID broke this latest news to me ==> no topping up or leveling of floor allowed by HDB from now. This is a result of the ban of use of EPF which is the most common material used to level up the flooring. I have no idea what is the alternative to EPF in topping up floor. Anyone has any idea how to top up the floor w/o EPF?

-------------------------------

With effect on 24/09/2012, HDB FLAT CANNOT USE EPF TO LEVEL UP.

Pls read through circular below.

Date Issue : 24 Sept 2012

Please refer to the attached FSSD's circular on " Use of Plastic Materials for In-Fill in Building Construction".

2Clause 3.15.2 of the current Fire Code 2007 states that all elements of structure shall be constructed of non-combustible materials. Plastics are not only highly combustible, they also emit large quantity of highly toxic fumes when subject to burning. In this regard, FSSD has clarified that the use of Extruded Polystyrene Foam (EPF) for topping up of floor level is also not allowed in HDB flats with immediate effect.

3Hence, with immediate effect, please refrain from using EPF for the topping up of floor level. If flat owners wish to have a barrier-free access in the flat, you may wish to advise them on the option of providing a short ramp to negotiate the level difference without having to top-up the entire floor area.

4We have also enclosed a Chinese translation of this letter for your reference.

5If you need any clarification on the renovation guidelines, please contact Principal Technical Officer Chua Sim Beng at: Tel: 6490 2280 or Senior Technical Officer Ng Leng Leng at Tel: 6490 2302. If you need any clarification on the use of EPF, please contact SCDF directly. Their contact details are as listed in the attached circular.

WONG KOK HWA

DEPUTY DIRECTOR (MAINTENANCE MANAGEMENT)

HOUSING MANAGEMENT GROUP

HOUSING & DEVELOPMENT BOARD

---------------------------------------

http://www.aces.org.sg/pdf/178-2012_SCDF_Use%20Of%20Plastic%20Materials%20For%20In-fill%20In%20Building%20Construction_27Aug2012.pdf

Anyone has got their leveling up of flooring approved so far?

Mine still pending HDB approval and its been 1 long month now! Submitted 8 Nov 2012 still no outcome.

*&!*^@&@^

Can I use vulgarities here?

I just been told by my contractor yesterday about this new HDB rule. she was told that EPF cannot be used for levelling the balcony, and was advised by the officer to submit the proposed fire proof material for approvall by their civil engineer.

has anyone found an alternative to EPF and succeeded in getting the approval from HDB and how long did the approval take?

the gynsum board in the link below seemed like a more affordable solution and will not have weight issues?

http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/construction/materials/5-fire-resistant-building-materials.htm

what about leveling it up with concrete? that should work..

Refering to earlier post on kg/m3, I think concrete also exceeded that guideline that's why my ID also say concrete cannot be used and that is also why EPF is the common material used for leveling balcony area.

Today only, I received call from my ID saying that HDB disapproved on leveling of my balcony.... I am now waiting for the HDB maintenance officer to call me and trying out to see if anything can be done or not. But base on other ppl experience in this forum, it seems that if I gonna wait for HDB reply, I will have to wait long long....

Such situation suckz, especially when HDB cannot do anything to compromise...

Any one have any progress on their balcony floor leveling, please share!