Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
clouds00007

Our Open Concept Mini Jumbo

(Our renovation process wasn't as a smooth process as we initially thought it would be. Maybe it could be our expectation OR we are a little bit more difficult to handle as a customers who know exactly what we want. Therefore, all comments made by us here are basically non-intentional and are based on the impression we got with the people whom we are liaising with and might not be necessary accurate. It will be update the you, readers to judge)

Wasn't really looking for a new place but back in Jul, when my dad was admitted into the hospital diagnose with Cancer, I thought that it would be better to move a little bit closer to where my parents are staying.

Well, in a twist of fate, or rather good fate, the doc told us that it wasn't Cancer after all.

But since we were already looking, and got hooked onto looking at the nice layouts out there, we figured, why not let us just moved ahead with our plans for a new place.

As we will be moving out from a 5 room, we set our target for a 5 room as well, and with a balcony, some thing which i regretted not getting for my first flat.

In our search, we stumbled upon this EM at one of our dream location and with a fantastic view. Unfortunately, things didn't work out as the owner had issues with their loans and we ended up wasting 1 month on it.

In the end, we came to this unit on the top floor, a mini jumbo of 134 SqM with a wonderful layout for me to paint on.

Blk242Floorplan_Original.jpg

Edited by clouds00007

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Big spacious layout! Very easy to design and work around.

Congrats! Looking forward to your updates on reno :)

The thing about this house, is that its missing out a balcony. Something which I have always wanted. Therfore, given this nice layout, I have decided to squeeze out a balcony.

Both my wife & I, decided to give a shot in planning out the floorplan, with a balcony of cos.

Here is my wife's proposal.

blk242_fern_zpsc22385f1.png

Edited by clouds00007

So in the end, managed to convince my wife to go with my layout. But since we wouldn't have any full height storage (except for the bookshelf) or wardrobe, i need to squeeze out another low cabinet for storing of winter clothing, bedsheets, etc.

So here is the revised layout. Shaded walls symbolised half wall with glass panels.

blk242_Ken02_zps071bc878.png

Edited by clouds00007

Basically, we roughly already knew what we want.

we wanted a bookshelf which is full height complete with a sliding ladder system for those hard to reach shelves. And this bookshelf will place an important center piece as it will be the first furniture ppl will see upon walking towards our door. It shall have fully adjustable shelves, so that I could segregate the spaces accordingly for my Buddha, Books, Files and TV.

Speaking of which, the entire bookshelf will come with wire management features which will allow me to thread cables and wires throughout the shelving system.

Inspiration of the bookshelf from the image below.

BookShelf01_zps805dd10b.png

Edited by clouds00007

We have collected tons of photos, pictures and information for our research, and trust me, its a lot (I am a data hog) and my wife took liking for the living room feel from this image, which we will try and recreate if possible.

Living03_zps229ee7d9.jpg

Edited by clouds00007

For over 10 yrs living in my previous house, we have endured a badly lit kitchen with poor air circulation, courtesy of some brilliant architect who might not even be living in a HDB flat.

So in this new project, I was determine to open up and let everything flow thru out the house (except for the oil fumes from the cooking ^_^ ).

Light, Air circulation and plenty of counter space.

Tearing apart one of the rooms as allow us to re-create the space needed.

Kitchen43_zps8fe812d9.jpg

Edited by clouds00007

oh, another thing to add in the kitchen.

As most of our kitchen appliance are of different brands, bought at different "era" and comes in all form and size, I decided that I wanted to height everything, when not using them.

This includes our Washing Machine and Dryer.

Inspiration from below.

Kitchen53_zps8f82e140.jpg

Edited by clouds00007

While many others when they go for holidays, they go shopping, eating, visiting temples and such.

for us, we prefer resorts, beach, sun and sea (or pool).

So the MBR which I wish to recreate should be either resort or hotel like. Plus, I am a sucker for 4 poster beds, so the image below shall be my inspiration for my MBR.

Beds01_zpsf0ed9589.jpg

Edited by clouds00007

as mentioned, our intention to "squeeze" a balcony out of a HDB flat which doesn't comes with one originally, is a main priority.

However that said, to re-create a balcony in the room (which I am not sure if I am the first in Singapore, to do it this way) isn't a small fit, as balcony's doesn't come with windows. But checks with HDB (as what my contractor told me) is that, I am not allow to have a "windowless" room.

Regardless if its true or not, we have decided the work around is to have this type of windows from Bestview, which allows a full opening.

It had cost us dearly but its worth it.

Inspiration taken from

Windows01_zps7e3dc753.jpg

Edited by clouds00007

for the Master Bath, I have always wanted to have a Bathtub for those relaxation after a long tiring week of work. But the layout of the MBR toliet, though its consist of 2 toilet combined, i couldn't actually squeeze out much practical space for it.

Off the shelf tub, I might have to look for the biggest which I can squeeze in.

Bath23_zps8e863891.jpg

If really can't fit in a decent tub, contingency is to get one of those Jap sitting tub. But worried that when we grow old, we might not be able to raise our legs over that height to take a proper bath.

Bath02_zpsed00482e.jpg

But of cos, the best case senario is that we can do something like a combo Jap Sitting Tub and shower area like the image below.
Bath10_zpsc2f571ab.jpg

However, due to the pipes and space constraint, we have to opt for option 1. Something off the shelf. A 1400L tub which we went thru **** to get it installed right (will touch on this later)

Edited by clouds00007

for the Master Bath, I have always wanted to have a Bathtub for those relaxation after a long tiring week of work. But the layout of the MBR toliet, though its consist of 2 toilet combined, i couldn't actually squeeze out much practical space for it.

Off the shelf tub, I might have to look for the biggest which I can squeeze in.

Bath23_zps8e863891.jpg

If really can't fit in a decent tub, contingency is to get one of those Jap sitting tub. But worried that when we grow old, we might not be able to raise our legs over that height to take a proper bath.

Bath10_zpsc2f571ab.jpg

But of cos, the best case senario is that we can do something like a combo Jap Sitting Tub and shower area like the image below.

Bath02_zpsed00482e.jpg

However, due to the pipes and space constraint, we have to opt for option 1. Something off the shelf. A 1400L tub which we went thru **** to get it installed right (will touch on this later)

Wow. Very inspirational. All the best for your Reno journey.