Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jasdy

"sailing" To The Northeast@punggol

I prefer to keep renovation simple and I believe that it's the furnishing and decorations that makes the difference, therefore i'm more willing to splurge on this area. I have this thought that though the tv consol is expensive, but one day if i were to move house, i can still bring it along with me, as compare to doing a build-in one.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi crypaz,

Yes, know that you do value your furnishing since u bought quite a few items from Grafunkt. Moving house not really a concern for us as it's likely that we will stay for at least 10 years since we will have waited for almost 4 years by the time the house is ready. But have to agree with you on the benefits of buying off the shelf vs custom-made.

Went to the Scanteak sale at Isetan yesterday and saw some nice Scandinavian stuff. There was a new launch called the Prologue which is also infused with Japanese minimalism. Nice! Some photos below. :dribble:

m1tv_373_ud2si.jpg

m1tv_440_ud2si.jpg

However, our main purpose of dropping there was to get their 1 for 1 offers for the bookshelf. Reckoned that their bookshelves should be much better than Ikea's.

m1tv_7b1_ud2si.jpg

Also grabbed this side table/coffee table/stools too! They were on a good discount. :notti:

m1tv_7f2_ud2si.jpg

The Prologue items will continue to be on display at Isetan for some time although the sale for the other items will likely end today.

How much is the bench and dining table? It look really nice!

Hi chezph,

I can't really remember the price of the dining table. But I recall that the bench cost $699. You can check them out at Isetan.

Edited by jasdy

Hey Jasdy, thanks for your lead! I went down to grab the bookshelves just now. Also ordered my bed from Scanteak! If you don't mind, can I use your bookshelf photo to post in my t-blog? Forgot to take photo just now :sport-smiley-018:

Hi adidaem,

I am a keen follower of both your T-blog and web blog. Manage to get to know some great deals through them. Like the Landex/Luzerne sales that were not publicised in the papers. We went down to the Landex Building just yesterday and came back with lots of Luzerne products. Really grateful to your sharing and updates! :bow:

Reading your blogs also educated/"poisoned" us on better quality furnishing as we knew nothing about retailers like Grafunkt, Air and Pomelo when we first started sourcing for furniture. Have went down to these stores and really liked their furniture, esp the finishing. :good: So agree with you regarding the quality part! Now, we are trying to convince ourselves that they would last for >10 years to justify our purchases!

Yes, looking for a couple of homeowners to do a mini MO/bulk buy at Grafunkt to get a further discount on the TV console. But got to be fast as their 20% discount probably ends at the end of the year. Wife and I also liked this Cross sideboard at Pomelo! And that's going to cost another $3k+. :P Therefore any savings (however small) will be welcomed!

Oh you should thank Mrs Loo for the Landex info. As for poisoning you re: furnishing, haha you sure you wanna thank me for making you spend more $$$? :rolleyes:

Maybe you can consider the more critical furniture now, and the less critical furnishing later if cash-flow is tight? Anyway the major sales period is year-end (now) and GSS, and 6 months later your bank account should have recovered a bit more.

I prefer to keep renovation simple and I believe that it's the furnishing and decorations that makes the difference, therefore i'm more willing to splurge on this area. I have this thought that though the tv consol is expensive, but one day if i were to move house, i can still bring it along with me, as compare to doing a build-in one.

Hmm... yeah, unfortunately I still prefer a wall hung version for a cleaner look, else I might have gotten the Line too.

Hi adidaem,

Then I shall thank both of you in my subsequent post about my dining ware purchases. Although sometimes ignorance is bliss, guess I am a person who prefers more information when making decisions/buying stuff.

I am actually wondering if GSS sales are better than year end sales. If so, could really delay some of the not-so-urgent items till mid year as I predict that my house would only be ready for move-in earliest mid-March.

Edited by jasdy

Hi adidaem,

Then I shall thank both of you in my subsequent post about my dining ware purchases. Although sometimes ignorance is bliss, guess I am a person who prefers more information when making decisions/buying stuff.

I am actually wondering if GSS sales are better than year end sales. If so, could really delay some of the not-so-urgent items till mid year as I predict that my house would only be ready for move-in earliest mid-March.

Pardon me kpo abit.. I think year end sales are better than GSS sales...

Hi adidaem,

Pardon me kpo abit.. I think year end sales are better than GSS sales...

Actually, the GSS sales starts in April btw so if you just move in in March, GSS would be ideal. You'll know by then what you need and how much space to cater for it etc.

Having been through a few sales cycles, I think both year-end and GSS are about the same. Really depends on the brand/promo given. E.g. the promo/price for Grafunkt isn't as good as 2011 but the same as GSS 2012.

E.g. http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/2012/05/12/2511/

http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/2012/04/21/sales-sales-everywhere-and-coming-soon/

Went to downtown today to do some furniture shopping. Still looking for a TV console and have been pondering over this Grafunkt Line console for the longest time.

or1o_12c_ud2si.jpg

It is available in walnut or oak. Even after discount, still cost slightly more than $3K. Quite a stretch for my budget but both wife and I like it alot. Also spotted another reasonable alternative at Harvey Norman. It's the Marie Claire entertainment unit.

vdhs_5c2_ud2si.jpg

This unit is much more affordable coming in at $1500+ after discount. Any advice/suggestions on what I should choose? If anyone is interested in the above pieces, maybe we can get it together and ask for a better price too.

I think the line TV console requires more time to clean up the accumulated dust after a while whereas the simple TV console requires less maintenance as it's easy to wipe LOL

Thanks to the lead from adidaem and Mrs Loo, got to know about the Landex/Luzerne sale. For those who are not familiar with the brand, they sell ceramic table ware and their products are used by international hotels like Ritz Carlton and Shangri-La. Apparently, Food Republic uses it too!

m1tv_f81_ud2si.jpg

We went down to the place on a Sunday afternoon. It was quite empty so it made for good shopping. Most of the collections were on 30% discount, with a further 10% if you are using a POSB/DBS credit card. :good:

m1tv_f3f_ud2si.jpg

We were previously considering Corelle as it was much lighter but we were quite impressed with the finishing of the Luzerne products. Wife really likes those used by Food Republic too! Landex also has some nice melamine ware but wasn't so pleasing aesthetically and they did not belong to the Luzerne branding. Furthermore, can't be used for microwave purposes.

The below pic shows what we had bought in the end. Mainly the basics like soup spoons, plates, bowls and serving dishes (about 4-6 of each). After the discounts, cost only slightly above $100. Much more affordable than we thought! If you have a higher budget, you can even consider those with gold rims! Real classy!

m1tv_7a9_ud2si.jpg

Last week while we were on leave, we took a trip down to Tan Boon Liat Building situated around the tiong bahru area and we spotted a side board that we really liked at Pomelo!

12c3_2eb_ud2si.png

It's the Cross sideboard by Matthew Hilton. The entire piece is made of oak! Therefore, not anywhere within our budget though as it's priced at around $3k+ too.

And as usual, we tried to find an alternative and saw one at Harvey Norman Millenia Walk. It's also part of the Marie Claire series, just like the TV console I posted earlier. According to the salesman, it's made of solid timber (i.e treated solid wood). This will cost around $1.7k after discount.

m1tv_501_ud2si.jpg

Another decision to make...Hopefully we wun see another "pricey" piece that we love as I am wondering how many $3ks do we have to spend on furnishing. :dunno:

Last week while we were on leave, we took a trip down to Tan Boon Liat Building situated around the tiong bahru area and we spotted a side board that we really liked at Pomelo!

12c3_2eb_ud2si.png

It's the Cross sideboard by Matthew Hilton. The entire piece is made of oak! Therefore, not anywhere within our budget though as it's priced at around $3k+ too.

Like this Pomelo one...plus it comes with "legs" and will make the area look more spacious cause of the "legs"...

I don't know if it's the picture tone, but the color of the Harvey Norman items make them look 'cheap' (sorry if I sound atas). Maybe need to compare with 'beauty shots' like the one you posted of the Matthew Hilton sideboard. For sideboard with legs, think quite a few places have them. Can look around for a cheaper alternative if budget is a constraint. Or wait a bit if it's considered a 'non-essential' item.

Btw since you've already bought some teak stuff, do the wood colors go together (ditto if you are using any wood laminates)? Best not to mix light/dark and patterned wood unless there is a particular look you are going for. I've seen some combinations that made me wince.