Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vanessa

Our New Home (Executive Maisonette)

1,311 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone....we have just purchased our first home...an executive maisonette in Hougang. Walking distance to the MRT and amenities. Sharing the floor plan first....we have been surfing the net for ideas...so far it is RenoTalk, Home and Decor and Houzz.. Is there other sites you would recommend. We are meeting our first potential ID this saturday, and we are very excited. :)

Housefloorplan_zpsf6560cc6.jpg

I have created a proper blog (just started) to document my thoughts and the process :)Here it is

( https://vanessafridahome.wordpress.com/ )

Edited by vanessa

Congrats on your new EM. There's many EM in Hougang. How much did you pay for your EM? :sport-smiley-018:

Congrats on your new EM. There's many EM in Hougang. How much did you pay for your EM? :sport-smiley-018:

Thanks Sherting, 715K in total

Welcome to RT...wow $715K that's alot of money. :thumbs up:

Welcome to RT...wow $715K that's alot of money. :thumbs up:

Thanks Multi888....i couldn't agree more that it is pricey...but that was one of the cheapest when we were shopping around already. :( I was quite specific with location...and it had to be near the MRT...and supermarkets

Thanks Multi888....i couldn't agree more that it is pricey...but that was one of the cheapest when we were shopping around already. :( I was quite specific with location...and it had to be near the MRT...and supermarkets

Well there is always a cost to pay for convenient...most important is everyone is happy in it. :yamseng:

Hi Vanessa,

Congrats on your EM purchase. I am also staying in Hougang. Wow. With S$715K, I presume that the condition should be okay? Is yours at Kovan side Blk 200+ series? The prices there tend to be higher when compared to the 400+ and 500+ series.

Good luck on your reno experience and journey. :yamseng:

Hi Vanessa,

Congrats on your EM purchase. I am also staying in Hougang. Wow. With S$715K, I presume that the condition should be okay? Is yours at Kovan side Blk 200+ series? The prices there tend to be higher when compared to the 400+ and 500+ series.

Good luck on your reno experience and journey. :yamseng:

It is actually the 500+ series. The house is well taken care of, but we will still have to do major reno to make it our home....it is old fashion. It was one of the cheaper EMs i saw in the NE area already :(

Congrats!

My EM also in Hougang... Blk 600+ series (next to swimming pool / stadium).

Wow.... 715k! Most important is you and your partner love the place.

Looking forward to your more updates and photos :)

Congrats !! Glad to see more EM owners here ! How much cov did you pay ?

Hi vanessa, congrats on your purchase and welcome to be a EM owner. :yamseng: Wow! $715K! $95K more than my EM @ B.Batok. :jawdrop:

Your layout is mirror image of my EM.

It is actually the 500+ series. The house is well taken care of, but we will still have to do major reno to make it our home....it is old fashion. It was one of the cheaper EMs i saw in the NE area already :(

Hi Vanessa,

I see. Yap. 500+ series very much nearer to Hougang Mall as compared to mine.

I just did my reno. A major one too. Had rebuilt a bedroom for my mum and maid on the lower deck. More spacious due to expansion through kitchen area and kitchen space created by roofing void balcony.

Guess your partner and you need to plan your needs and wants. :)

All the best.

If we base on today's price, it is reasonable get an EM at 715k. Many reports in the media shows incredible EM prices of over 900k in places like Bishan n Queenstown. R u doing a major overall? What r u retaining from the previous owner?

Congrats!

My EM also in Hougang... Blk 600+ series (next to swimming pool / stadium).

Wow.... 715k! Most important is you and your partner love the place.

Looking forward to your more updates and photos :)

I am totally new to the hougang area actually.....when we were shopping around the area....many EMs were going for above 715k...there was one at serangoon that was asking for 1.1m!!! a 250k cov...i remember laffing when i heard the agent say 250K cov...LOL

Congrats excl.gif Glad to see more EM owners here ! How much cov did you pay ?

Owner wanted 150K cov....his last offer of 80K cov he rejected...we paid 90K cov.... it's a lot of $ :(

Hi vanessa, congrats on your purchase and welcome to be a EM owner. :yamseng: Wow! $715K! $95K more than my EM @ B.Batok. :jawdrop:

Your layout is mirror image of my EM.

Have you got a blog I can check out to see what you did? It's really all very exciting....kinda on a shoestring budget after paying so much for the place.

500plus is very near to MRT station and got coffees op at block 529.

Cheers..

is the coffee shop at blk 529 good? still trying to figure out if there's a closer supermarket to home than the hougang mall one....the seller was saying there is...a ntuc and a shop N save i think

Hi Vanessa,

I see. Yap. 500+ series very much nearer to Hougang Mall as compared to mine.

I just did my reno. A major one too. Had rebuilt a bedroom for my mum and maid on the lower deck. More spacious due to expansion through kitchen area and kitchen space created by roofing void balcony.

Guess your partner and you need to plan your needs and wants. :)

All the best.

Ken, have you got a blog or something so i can visualise what you did.....we have decided that a walk-in pantry is the best thing to do for the utility room because we both enjoy cooking...we are actually designing the place kitchen out....so it flows with the kitchen....i think that is where we spend most of our time....

If we base on today's price, it is reasonable get an EM at 715k. Many reports in the media shows incredible EM prices of over 900k in places like Bishan n Queenstown. R u doing a major overall? What r u retaining from the previous owner?

Hey Potato...i followed your reno journey and learnt a lot...thank you so much....! My dream was to own a EM.... and for my budget (this was close to max-ing it) this was a good bet....i saw heaps of other EMs in the NE area...from Lor Ah Soo, Serangoon, Hougang, Kovan etc....most of them are low floor, granted some were corner units with the recess area purchased...but heaps of them had water seepage in the bathroom....the condition wasn't as good as this place that i purchased.

What sold us on this place was that it is on the second highest flour (6th floor), the balcony and master faces a small field (too small for them to build more flats) and the other side faces a car park and low four-storey flats...so there's a fair bit of ventilation and it is pretty bright.

As for retaining what the previous owner has...erm...only the bottom level tiles pretty much...gonna hack all the toilets...re-tile upstairs and redo the kitchen...gotta rebuild a wall too for the walk in pantry cos the previous owner knocked it down.

Congrats...another EM owner, im getting my EM keys on next mth....also in HG...but can only start renov after CNY :(

ur cov is really high & still need a overhaul...gona to be costly....

Congrats...another EM owner, im getting my EM keys on next mth....also in HG...but can only start renov after CNY :(

ur cov is really high & still need a overhaul...gona to be costly....

Onn, where exactly is your unit? I actually just paid the 4K this month...so I am waiting for the first appointment...think i will only collect keys in May. COV has really gone up....90K was considered reasonable... (faint)

Blk 600+...level 3 but the highest...hehehe...the layout is the mirror image of urs...to me 90k will only be reasonable if i only need to touch up the hse...the few untils tat r sold at sky price cov r all move in condition...well like they said - $ can still earn, happiness more impt...enjoy the different being an em owner :good:

I'm collecting key next month as well ! Most EM are asking high cov.. I paid 120k cov for my bishan EM ( need overhaul). The unit above us sold at 900k in mid 2012.. That works out about 180k cov if I remember correctly.

Most important you are happy with the unit and within your means.

Edited by spikedoll

Blk 600+...level 3 but the highest...hehehe...the layout is the mirror image of urs...to me 90k will only be reasonable if i only need to touch up the hse...the few untils tat r sold at sky price cov r all move in condition...well like they said - $ can still earn, happiness more impt...enjoy the different being an em owner :good:

Onn, there were other units with slightly lower COV, of about 70-80K, that needed a total overhaul. We chose this unit because it was not a low floor like the rest, and the homeowner took good care of the house. We will still need to renovate...but thankfully, we can keep the bottom level flooring...we just gotta redo upstairs, the toilets and of course build my dream kitchen and walk-in pantry :)

Great...at least the damage wont get any bigger...lucky for me im keeping flooring for both levels...just need to build my open kitchen, re-do the 3 baths & level up the balcony to make the living room bigger (dun c the need for balcony)& of cos a WIW for CFO to make her happy....

Great...at least the damage wont get any bigger...lucky for me im keeping flooring for both levels...just need to build my open kitchen, re-do the 3 baths & level up the balcony to make the living room bigger (dun c the need for balcony)& of cos a WIW for CFO to make her happy....

Onn can i ask you what is your damage for building a open kitchen, doing up the 3 baths and leveling up the balcony?

my contractor just went up see the place 2 days ago...so haven get the quto from him yet...

Ken, have you got a blog or something so i can visualise what you did.....we have decided that a walk-in pantry is the best thing to do for the utility room because we both enjoy cooking...we are actually designing the place kitchen out....so it flows with the kitchen....i think that is where we spend most of our time....

Hi vanessa,

Yes, I do have one, but need to repost the pics. I paid 25k cov mid last year. did an overhaul of the reno and change the layout for the first floor. open concept kitchen, roofing etc. quite a number of carpentry too. toilets also fully overhaul.

My reno through ID. Overall reno, furniture and fittings 6 digit. Not cheap. but the lowest quote that I got was S$85K then. I did not engage the lowest as the ID no click. I had paid a higher price to get things moving. my reno was completed ahead of planned schedule (original 8 weeks) by one week.

You can go through the various blogs and check with other EM owners who did their recent reno for lobangs.

In the meantime, I will try to post pics. :yamseng: