Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
shln168

Raising Existing Ceiling Height And Estimated Costs For Rebuild

Hi all

Was hoping to seek some advice on the raising of my corner terrace's first storey ceiling. My current ceiling height is 3.2m and am hoping to raise it to 4.5m. The moment we change the ceiling height, am I correct to say that it is then considered a new erection (aka rebuild)? This cannot be considered a reconstruction right? With a new erection, I suppose a bomb shelter is now required? How likely is it that this requirement can be waived?

Between a new erection and reconstruction, how much more government/submission fees am I expected to pay?

I have a corner terrace, land of 4,500 sqf. Am hoping to do some major renovation works to my old 2 storey house of 2,300sqf and change it to a 2.5 storey of possibly about 3,500sqf. An architect I have approached has given an indicative quote of $200psf if I were to go with a full rebuild. Does this seem reasonable? A lot of past threads I have viewed seems to suggest that $250-300psf seems the more common quotations given. With a tight budget, I am so afraid of under-budgeting and that the final bill comes way beyond what I can afford. When I call for a tender, am I right to say that the total costs is more or less capped at what contractors have submitted?

Am a complete newbie at this so any help is much appreciated in advance!

Thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

hi Shin 168

U can actually call for a few quotes & do a comparison at the same time ask for itemize quote, ask them abt hidden cost.

U have to be mentally prepare for additional & variation works est abt 10-20% of main contract.

Hope this 2 cents of comments can help.

Tks

Please provide length & width of your land & I can help give you at least 2 alternative with much clearer picture on actual cost.

Hi all

Was hoping to seek some advice on the raising of my corner terrace's first storey ceiling. My current ceiling height is 3.2m and am hoping to raise it to 4.5m. The moment we change the ceiling height, am I correct to say that it is then considered a new erection (aka rebuild)? This cannot be considered a reconstruction right? With a new erection, I suppose a bomb shelter is now required? How likely is it that this requirement can be waived?

Between a new erection and reconstruction, how much more government/submission fees am I expected to pay?

I have a corner terrace, land of 4,500 sqf. Am hoping to do some major renovation works to my old 2 storey house of 2,300sqf and change it to a 2.5 storey of possibly about 3,500sqf. An architect I have approached has given an indicative quote of $200psf if I were to go with a full rebuild. Does this seem reasonable? A lot of past threads I have viewed seems to suggest that $250-300psf seems the more common quotations given. With a tight budget, I am so afraid of under-budgeting and that the final bill comes way beyond what I can afford. When I call for a tender, am I right to say that the total costs is more or less capped at what contractors have submitted?

Am a complete newbie at this so any help is much appreciated in advance!

Thanks!

Oops, sorry for the late reply! Didn't think anyone responded cos I was expecting an email telling me there were replies in this forum. *sheepish*

My current length and width of the building is about 12m x 6.7m.

Anyway, so far, assessments by 4 architects who have seen my place say that it is challenging making the 1st storey flat due to the terrains. Back area is higher than the living room and to make the whole storey flat would mean either

1) Raise the living room to equal the height of the back area, which would mean having to raise ceiling height; or

2) Make the back area flat with the living room, which would mean a lot of excavation, including the garden!

And both equals a lot of costs! There are floor beams supporting the dining area etc so shifting that is quite problematic as well.

It seems to me that a rebuild is imminent. And i think possibly, may add up to the same cost as a recon with all the structural reinforcements and changes. Has anyone ever encountered such a problem before?

Does anyone have any architects to recommend in the meantime? :help: Am hoping to speak with more. So far, it seems that architect fees are between $40k - $50.

Oops, sorry for the late reply! Didn't think anyone responded cos I was expecting an email telling me there were replies in this forum. *sheepish*

My current length and width of the building is about 12m x 6.7m.

Anyway, so far, assessments by 4 architects who have seen my place say that it is challenging making the 1st storey flat due to the terrains. Back area is higher than the living room and to make the whole storey flat would mean either

1) Raise the living room to equal the height of the back area, which would mean having to raise ceiling height; or

2) Make the back area flat with the living room, which would mean a lot of excavation, including the garden!

And both equals a lot of costs! There are floor beams supporting the dining area etc so shifting that is quite problematic as well.

It seems to me that a rebuild is imminent. And i think possibly, may add up to the same cost as a recon with all the structural reinforcements and changes. Has anyone ever encountered such a problem before?

Does anyone have any architects to recommend in the meantime? :help: Am hoping to speak with more. So far, it seems that architect fees are between $40k - $50.

It seems to me that how you should approach this issue, it pretty much depends on where you come from. Is this a new purchase?

Cheers!

Nope, not a new purchase. Been staying in this place for the past 20+ years. And it really is time for a major reno since the household is expanding - 4 generations under one roof and a few pets. :)

Nope, not a new purchase. Been staying in this place for the past 20+ years. And it really is time for a major reno since the household is expanding - 4 generations under one roof and a few pets. :)

Right. And a nice family you have with 4 generations together, and a few pets...

Given the situation, there is no doubt that a rebuild is easier, as it faces less constraint. (Having said so, I would clarify that I am not a fan of A&A or reconstruction, if you read my other posts).

Now, whether it is to raise the floor level of the front (which means that there would be a few steps to climb before reaching the main door), or to lower the back (excavation, garden destroyed etc as you mentioned) to me it is an architectural design issue, an issue more to do with how the new building would look in relation to your neighbors. Or neighborhood.

I have not studied the relevant bylaws regarding underground HS, but I would attempt to locate the HS below ground. So, if lowering the back is feasible (means that you could excavate all you what without constrains from the public sewage pipe or rainwater drain), then might as well locate the HS there. Afterall the HS is RC structure.

Regarding the 4.5m height, do take note that the net height achievable is lesser than that, because of the floor slab, the beam, and utility piping etc so do check with the architect.

Regarding the budget, if I were you then I wouldn't want the design of the building to be too constrained by it. Afterall, the rebuilding is to solve the requirement of an expanded or expanding household, so there is no point pouring in a constrained amount of money but still not meeting the requirement.

I would think that most of the equity of the existing house is derived from the land value, so if budget is a constraint then maybe you could consider getting a loan from the house's equity. I wrote a post somewhere in this forum on how a rebuilding would increase the equity of a landed property, so I wouldn't repeat this subject here.

Good luck to your project.

Cheers!

Edited by Lauer