Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
MHB

The Great Migration

Hello everyone!!!

I have been a silent and blur reader for the past few months.... I truly appreciate the comments, recommendations, suggestions and advices provided by all the contributors in this forum... Thus, I have decided to start a blog to document my renovation journey. The idea to create a blog was first conceived 1 month ago but due to work commitment (excuse), busy schedule (excuse again) and laziness (real reason), it was delayed until now...

I have been a west hermit for the past 18 years. From the days when jurong point was a patch of grassland to a single building to a slightly bigger building to the 2 integrated building as it is of now.... My family never venture out of jurong area even though I did move house a few times.. Haha...

However, my status as a west hermit will be changed as me and my wifey decided to buy a flat in the East!!! OMG!!!! It is like moving to a new country... My wifey is a easterner throughout her life and she wants to remains here, so I compromise lor... Our target is somewhere in Tampines... Haha... From one end of the MRT to the other end....

After the proposal in Turkey: everything becomes chop chop...

1. We went down to the wedding fair at Vivocity and signed with the first person we talked to...

2. House hunting - bought our 4 rm flat after viewing 2 units only... That means we confirmed our flat after 2 weeks of house hunting... I heard from my agent that most of his client view average about 15-20 units...

3. Wedding banquet - confirmed at the second hotel that we went to... Even the sales person was shock by our quick decision... :)

4. Chosen our ID last week after meeting about 5-6 of them. We short listed 2 of them based on chemistry we have during the discussion. Share more on next post!!!

Sorry for the long post (my wifey also says why I so long winded one, so I replied, that means my brain is good because can think of so much to say)... Anyway, my second appointment is next week and look forward to the upcoming renovation....

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I shall start my renovation journey from here.

This is the floor plan for my 4 rm flat in Tampines. People who will be staying in this flat: me, my wifey and my mum.....

FloorPlan.jpg

As you can see from the picture (Hope the picture can be uploaded correctly). The kitchen is rather small, good for a couple who don't really cook very often and this is compensated by a big living room (a big headache as the living room is very long). My wifey would like to have a Scandinavian type of decoration (Inspired by the pictures from Lunareverie's Strictly Scandinavian) and for me, anything also can..... :D

So we started our long ID 红星大奖, quite daunting as I received phone calls after phone calls for almost 1 week after i submitted my renovation request through one of the website:

入名的有:

1. J**** (S** Cr******) - This is the first ID that we met, a soft spoken lady who showed us many different type of materials, including kitchen cabinets (All with blum hinges i supposed) and sanitary items like WC and etc.... However, she seems to listen to our ideas only more than contributing some creative ideas on her part. Therefore, not shortlisted. In fact, she promised to bring us to the company 20000sqft showroom after Chinese New Year (Met her 2 weeks before CNY), as it was closed during that period of time, contacted me once after that and then no news from her ever after... :blink:

2. V****** (Ar*****e) - Met him on the eve of CNY. Quite knowledgeable and provided us with some insight that we never think can be possible. For example, to shift the position of the Basin to create more space..... Told us the quotation will be ready in 3 days time (Huh? Not celebrating CNY?), so we asked him to take his time and he really take his time, no news from him until now :P

3. Th**** (F*** C******) - A very creative ID, proposed a lot of ideas based on my wifey's requirement. Very honest and knowledgeable guy who shared with us the pros and cons of some of the materials that we have chosen. He also proposed to knocked down all the walls and create new partition to create more space (A total overhaul). Shortlisted. However, price is very high, exceed our budget by more than 20K :jawdrop: and no choice, we have to drop him. He did mention he can bring down the cost but after some hinting, i don"t think he can bring the cost down to my budget

4. S**** (3* *********) - A very practical guy, who gives us the impression of a contractor. However, he do propose some ideas that are very practical in our daily life. His quotes is the most comprehensive, with all the items break down accordingly and the lowest quote we have received.

5. Ji**** (T***) - Inspired by one of the fellow forummer's house and my wifey would like to meet him. The first meeting is really a solid 2plus hours. A very patient and sincere guy who would show us the different designs he had done for his client previously. We feel comfortable with him (sounds wrong) and i believe we do have the chemistry to work together as he can understand all our needs. He showed us some sketches, 3D drawings and bought us to his client house to view the workmanship even before we signed with him. Shortlisted....

6. V****** (S***** D*****) - Chop Chop meet up and so, I am :( ....

7. A*** - A highly recommended ID in this forum and was inspired by the pictures of his works. However, i think he is very very very busy and i don't have the time to monitor the progress myself. Therefore, i have to give him up even though his quote is really attractive.

And many others (Don't want to be too long winded)......

Anyway, we have confirmed our ID yesterday, JIawei from TWCS (on my ROM day and is my birthday....) :good:. Finally, after 4 meetups around Singapore, west lah (where his office is), east lah (For site-seeing).

Things to be done for my flat:

Thingstobedone.jpg

Other things to be done:

1. Hack the floor tiles for all the rooms and replaced with wood grain tiles

2. Hack and replace toilet floor and wall tiles

3. Hack and replace the kitchen tiles

Things that we have bought:

Scan teak Sofa

StarkScanteakSofa.jpg

Hitachi Fridge

HitachiRefrigerator.jpg

Hitachi Washing Machine

HitachiWashingMAchine.jpg

Electrolux hob

ElectroluxKeyholeHob.jpg

Panasonic Eco NAvi 3 Sys

PanasonicAirCon.jpg

LG 47 Inch TV (Impulse Buy)

LG47inchTV.jpg

Diamond Electric Clock

DiamondClock.jpg

Lighting for the kitchen (From Tao Bao)

KitchenLighting.jpg

Grohe rain shower

Haiz still need to buy

Nice black washing machine! Haven't seen this model yet; was initially hunting for a black one. Like your Electrolux hob - interesting design!

Can share the price for your TV? TIA!

Edited by Makanology

Nice black washing machine! Haven't seen this model yet; was initially hunting for a black one. Like your Electrolux hob - interesting design!

Can share the price for your TV? TIA!

Yeah... I like the washing machine too... Got it at a steal during the Harvey Norman expo sale last month...

I bought it for 1999, got it at Best Denki,, LM8600... I believe the price would drop...

Hi,

Wah. Is tat LG 47LM8600? I m eyeing on 55LM9600 :).

Where u bought e aircon? Can share how much is it?

Thks.

Yes. The TV is LG LM8600...

The air com from Gain City during the sale at expo. 3888 for 2 8k btu and 1 12k btu unit, with new brackets, upgraded copper tube...