Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
annastans

Joanna's Playground; An Em Dream

Where'd you get the turquoise tiles from? Hafary @ Defu dont stock any such tiles..

Hello juxstapose, we got it from Hafary at Balestier.

Nice nice turquoise tiles! Good color :)

Thank you Makanology!! And I thank the contractor and his tilers for doing them justice :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Anna,

Seems like you are having good progress in your renovation. Seems like you also did a concrete sink support. I think that is good , kinda removes the worry if there is leakage etc...;p

Things seem to be moving pretty fast.

Hope you see more! =)

Now for the house itself!

Finally managed to get some pictures of the house before the sun went down;

8787105124_973a3abd70.jpg

Overlaying of balcony tiles done. I thank my husband for constantly insisting on this because I really like the final result! The cement base for the washing machine and mini storage area is done up as well. (So pretty!)

8780503289_1c17e9ba64.jpg

View of the kitchen from the study. Walls all hacked and the breeze feels lovely!

8780417243_8f1bacbf42.jpg

The sink erected with concrete support and those tiles! Once again, just lovely!

8787096294_2daeaf2562.jpg

I must say I had very mixed feelings about this look when I saw the final product. Disappointed would be a good word. But realistically, it probably looks the way it does because it's really bare so when some colours come into the picture hopefully it doesn't look this sanitary :DThe tiling works were done up excellently except for small gaps at the corner joint but the fridge will block it and I won't be able to see it anyways.

Plumbing works are due to commence tomorrow so waiting to see the WCs up in the toilet :)

Hi Anna,

Seems like you are having good progress in your renovation. Seems like you also did a concrete sink support. I think that is good , kinda removes the worry if there is leakage etc...;p

Things seem to be moving pretty fast.

Hope you see more! =)

Hello jaykr! Yes we did up the concrete support at the strong insistence of the contractor. I was very doubtful of the final look and it's usefulness (maybe I still am a bit) but if everything from the outside looks good then I'm happy.

So far so good :) I saw that your house is almost nearing completion! No pictures of the caesarstone yet? :D

HI Anna,

I told my contractor to hold on for the carpentry work as I will be going overseas for two weeks. I want them to do the carpentry once I am back, so there is going to be a bit of delay in my renovation.

I am very particular about how my kitchen cabinet needs to look like...so not comfortable to let them built it when I am not around. .

Other than that, couple of things to go but should be done pretty fast.

I agree with your contractor that a concrete sink support is important ...and you can make it look good by hiding the concrete part. Thatch what I am intending to do , hopefully it turns out well. ;P

Hello jaykr! Yes we did up the concrete support at the strong insistence of the contractor. I was very doubtful of the final look and it's usefulness (maybe I still am a bit) but if everything from the outside looks good then I'm happy.

So far so good :) I saw that your house is almost nearing completion! No pictures of the caesarstone yet? :D

HI Anna,

I told my contractor to hold on for the carpentry work as I will be going overseas for two weeks. I want them to do the carpentry once I am back, so there is going to be a bit of delay in my renovation.

I am very particular about how my kitchen cabinet needs to look like...so not comfortable to let them built it when I am not around. .

Other than that, couple of things to go but should be done pretty fast.

I agree with your contractor that a concrete sink support is important ...and you can make it look good by hiding the concrete part. Thatch what I am intending to do , hopefully it turns out well. ;P

It's very true..it's best that you are there for the carpentry works so necessary changes can be made asap! I shall wait patiently for you caesarstone to be up then :D

Yup, he has said it will be covered up by laminates completely so it should have the same look throughout.

Have a good trip!

It's been a really long time since my last update and significant progress has been made meanwhile! I shall cut short my talk and let the pictures do the talking :)

Post 1: Amazon Items for the House

Went away for a short business trip and came back with some of these items for the house! Wheee :D

9042852922_e6f86448ea_m.jpg9042853010_bdb75e338c_m.jpg9040631015_e48546ab7e_m.jpg9040631087_a8762117b4_m.jpg

List of items from left to right: (yellow suitcase lock is for size reference)

1) The White Lantern:No idea where to put it yet but bought it as it's just so pretty!

2) Holder for broom/mop

3) DecoMates non-ticking silent wall clock: Will probably placed in 1 of the rooms

4) DecoMates non-ticking silent wall clock: This is for the kitchen. No lock for size measurement but diameter is about 30cm and will add some colour to the white tiles.

Overall pleased with them :)

Post 2: The Caesarstone Tests

So initially we wanted Snow but last minute we were told it was out of stock so we went with ocean foam instead, pictured below. I think it's just as pretty, if not more :)

The sample that was given to us:

9042851226_a014bb0cb9_q.jpg

And so the testing begins (This is my husband's doing :D )

9042853348_6185019310_m.jpg9040631445_69f4510a54_m.jpg9042853478_e8e505598c_m.jpg9040631521_5537642a10_m.jpg

Here are the tests from left to right:

1) Immersed in coffee for 2 hours

2) Frozen at -40 Degrees C for 1 hour

3) Baked at 83 degrees C for 1 hour

4) Sawed (that's right, sawed)

Conclusion is that the sample was as good as new after the first 3 tests. For the last test however, scratch marks could be seen at the edges while the middle portions were unaffected. So users take note that the edges are a bit weak.

Well realistically, we wouldn't freeze, bake, saw at or leave stains for 2 hours on the countertop but I suppose my husband just wanted to be assured it's worth the money. Hee. They will be coming down for installation on 20th June :)

Post 3: First Floor Pictures

Yayyy so finally some pictures of the house!

9040650999_99ef8ffd56_n.jpg9040560815_6d8dc42a4a_m.jpg9042843566_5b73ecc7cb_m.jpg9042866238_115f648ae2_m.jpg9040623879_c5e8c58dca_m.jpg

So carpentry is done up, window grilles have been put up. And the fans are not too bad too :P The purple wall area is the dining area and I must say that I totally did not like the colour when I first saw it painted but now that almost everything is done up, I'm really happy with the colour combi! They all seem to complement each other. Husband thinks that the blue tiles now "stick out like a sore thumb" but I beg to differ! They are still the highlight of the kitchen to me :)

Post 3: First Floor Pictures continued

9040558041_dff27b2b35_m.jpg9040555475_7b781baef4_m.jpg9040581541_3b457d657a_m.jpg9040575695_b6c91b9d75_m.jpg9042849084_40581b13ca_m.jpg

All drawers are Blum drawers and I love my "spice cabinet" area near the hob! If you notice the white grated thing below where the hob is supposed to be (pic 2), it's for ventilation as the oven comes below it and also for changing the battery for the hob. Pic 3 shows the tall unit which acts as a mini pantry with the built in oven slot above it. The last 2 pictures are in the balcony area and the big gap is where our front load washing machine will sit. (Pretty balcony lights shine bright!)

There are a lot more pics but I'll have to call it a night and continue tomorrow zz. Thanks for reading!!

And so, it's time to continue with picture posting!

Post 4: Second Floor Pictures

9042835160_46636ea155_m.jpg9040600255_28a055a914_m.jpg9040585555_16780ff1e4_m.jpg9042828912_1e22538a83_m.jpg9040608695_65ddbd6280_m.jpg

From left to right:

1) Common toilet corridor light and track lights installed. 3 track lights were purchased and to our horror, we saw that only 1 out of the 3 was working upon installation :( We purchased them from JB so another trip has to be made to get the 2 extra LED lights! Argh! I want freebies in exchange!

2) I'm so happy the way the wardrobe turned out!! The casement mirror reveals a deeper set of shelves when opened and I can't wait to start using it! Oh and the 2 right most door are mu husband's while the rest are all mine :D Whee!

3) Fixed panel for the MBR with rain shower

4) 2 glass panels and 1 swing door for the common toilet with rainshower

5) 2 of these lights installed in the common toilet. So pretty!

Edited by annastans

Some sad news at last! Haiz..

So as I mentioned earlier, the kitchen countertop was to be installed on 20th June and today we received the final quite following measurement taking. The countertop width was more than we initially agreed on but we didn't think it would make too much of a price difference. We were quite wrong. The final quote was almost 1k more than the initial and the choice was quite clear to us. True that the caesarstone is an amazing counter top to have but we were not willing to spend this extra amount and have called it off. It's truly sad that last minute it had to be this way but have no doubt in the material quality and the service provided. Both are exceptional.

Now the search begins for a suitable alternative and I'm contemplating getting iQuartz instead. ICrystal offered by them seems pretty and of course the 2nd choice is granite. Any users who have used iQuartz and can share their honest feedback? We would appreciate your help loads! Thanks!!

I can't remember the thread but someone did mention about those quartz of unknown background and also radiation from granite. Caesarstone is so expensive due to the lab tests they have to support the safety of their products. :)

My quote had to top up almost S$1.2k to upgrade from solid surface to quartz. :(

Edited by MiracleSG

MiracleSG, what edge profile did you pick? And what was the thickness? We have to top up 2k on top of our initial granite quote that's why it sounds so unattractive. It was because our countertop exceeded 70cm width that's why.. :(

Mine should be the normal. No special edge profile as quartz, unlike solid surface, will have joint lines. The more pattern there is, the more joint lines there are.

Mine should be the normal. No special edge profile as quartz, unlike solid surface, will have joint lines. The more pattern there is, the more joint lines there are.

I see I see.. well, we'll probably sleep on it and hopefully tomorrow morning we will be able to make a decision.

Today we went down to GR link once again to purchase the remainder of our bathroom accessories to be installed on Thursday. No pictures were taken because I was just too upset :(