Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Some pictures to end the day.

Some of the samples we got from various tile shops

3094D035-202A-4FD2-8EFA-E3D6D705BC1D-202

I told my htb that we can use some of the nicer ones as coasters since we went through so many places to get them. He doesn't seem convinced.

What we went with in the end for our master bathroom floor and walls. Lava stone!

EBB0FD2F-1EB6-428C-ACFF-2A6DCC557733-240

It was used in the apartment that my ID showed us and we liked it. He told us it was out of stock though so we had to go searching for something else. That search has made my htb an expert in granite and slate. He can tell from touching a piece of granite what treatment has been applied; flamed, bush flamed, hammered, etc. at certain shops he was more knowledgeable about what granite they were selling than the sales people.

In the end we found a slate we liked but supply was short and my ID said it would be risky to proceed with a barely enough amount of tiles so he went to source for a place that carried lava stone. He finally found it at Stone Tec which we didn't go to cuz he settled it all for us. Only thing was the size, 30 by 30 which we found too small but bo bian.

Before sealant:

43301D12-F1D9-4789-AE09-04BF0A55EE68-240

It's much darker and closer in color to the sample after sealant has been applied. Initially we looked at how different it was from the sample and got very worried. I bugged my ID about it a few times and he is a man of few words so he just commented that it was same color as the kind he received for the other apartment he did. And followed up with "it's a natural material, made from hardened lava, so you will definitely find variances" which made total sense but still worried me.

I just realised I don't have a pic of the sealant applied lava stone. Hmmm.

Edited by mishmish

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

My first purchase for the house!

0483E856-91E5-497E-9D3C-491E0B694618-240

A clock to keep time! We got it from LikeThatOne, a place we quite like for it's cool vintage feeling (some things are really vintage, but my clock only kek vintage) Actually we got it cuz we liked it but as our ID kept chasing us for decisions on bathroom accessories, where to put what etc, we realised we really need to decide on stuff faster. We really agonise over every decision so I think we've held up some of the work which leaves Eeyore in a difficult position.

Edited by mishmish

Common bathroom tiles also caused a headache. Our ID wanted it simple with a dark tile from Hafary. We were okay with that at first then I was afraid that it would be small and wet and dark and sad. My dog would be using that bathroom on days that are rainy and he can't go out or when we work late. My ID had practical suggestions but I wanted it pretty too. I had fallen in love with a bathroom I saw in a tapas place called Sabio.

F8EC9FA0-C8CC-4059-905A-142E416BBA18-128

Sorry for the badly lit and weird picture. Was trying not to shock my friends who were with me with my obsessiveness about the Reno.

I talked to my htb about it and he agreed with my idea so we asked Eeyore if we could do this instead (if he feels it'll look out of place with the rest of the theme he will say so quite out rightly) and thankfully he said yes. Except he would put a dark border of tiles around it. I asked for it to be on the walls because he had mentioned to me before that cement tiles like the one I liked are easily bruised by heavy items brushing by or put down roughly. Floors would be dark tiles.

We got all our common bathroom tiles from An Huat at Zion road. They had a lot of cool peranakan feel tiles and i was pretty thrilled but my ID was not. He had bad experiences with them and was not very willing to work with them again saying they were defensive with regards to defects in their materials when he last used them. Many places had these black and white cement tiles I liked but An Huat was cheapest at 3.50 per tile. The other shops were mostly charging 4.50 per tile. In the end Eeyore relented and told his site manager to go and help us with selection and ordering and picking up. =) as long as he didn't have to go himself. Heehee. An Huat asked us to top up 50 cents per tile for sealant but my ID said the sealant his contractors will do for all our tiles so no need! Wheeeeee. More money saved!

DE185449-0285-49B0-AC76-C84A71E5902B-128

My pretty tiles drying after sealant on the patio. Think my lava stone had a coat of sealant applied already and was waiting for another coat when I took this picture.

• Like 1

Nice lava tiles...nowadays the ID are so bz that the home owners become part time ID themselves...I also learn a lot by reading up and sourcing for my home stuff...I am curious abt yr ID and the design firm you mentioned...can pm me? Heh

Nice clock! Is it 2 clocks hanging one on top of another as a set?

It's 2 different clocks hung together on display. We took the lower one. =)

Sabio at Quayside Isles is a nice restaurant...U shld try Museo too...love the food, the view and the interior design of the place...

Looking forward to the end results. Any 3D pics to share?

ID sounds interesting too. :)

Nice lava tiles...nowadays the ID are so bz that the home owners become part time ID themselves...I also learn a lot by reading up and sourcing for my home stuff...I am curious abt yr ID and the design firm you mentioned...can pm me? Heh

Have PMed you! And yeah.. we did alot of research on our own.. but I enjoy it. My htb finds it stressful I think. I've been going to the library to borrow interior design books and magazines. Fun!

Looking forward to the end results. Any 3D pics to share?

ID sounds interesting too. :)

No.. no 3D pictures. He didnt volunteer to draw any, and I didn't ask for any. Actually, I've been wanting to ask, what is 3D pics used for? To better imagine how stuff will look?

• Like 1

Sabio at Quayside Isles is a nice restaurant...U shld try Museo too...love the food, the view and the interior design of the place...

Nowadays alot of cool cafes and restaurants with industrial chic decor. PS cafes actually one of my favs.. though I think the food is abit overpriced.

Now I have a problem. The aircon guy is at my place fixing up the pipes and all. They quoted us without seeing the place, and now there's some small concealing to do for the water pipes. They say need to charge extra.. 321 bucks. Is that reasonable? I dont really have a choice now, but kinda like to know if i'm being ripped off.

Eve of public holiday.. perfect time to look at the hacking done.

First time i saw the hacking, was at night. Went to take a look after work and got a shock. They'd hack up the marble floor.

427DF797-D7BA-466E-9D28-2016394FE0CE-240

On a side note.. my parents and HTB parents were very devastated by our decision to hack up the marble floor. We explored actually overlaying it with vinyl or laminate in order to preserve the marble and make our parents happier. But end up, we figured its our place, we really hate the marble floor so we'll just go with what we like la.

Walls hacked in kitchen and toilets.

C1DF94CA-3FB0-4113-B7A0-BE115101F51B-240

04E22C52-0EB6-482C-88EE-0E5344116088-240

Haulage completed and rebuilding of new walls to start. The rooms were quite clear of debris.. but the living room still pretty messy.

Master bedroom.

5383A475-00C1-49DD-857B-D9220E6A7B98-240

See the grey granite tiles sitting on the floor? Its for my patio. It cost 3.99 psf. BEST DEAL in terms of flooring materials we found. Our ID was the one who found it for us from Rice at Tiong Bahru. :good:

Common bedroom on left, master bedroom on right. I am abit scared that when the common bedroom is converted to a walk in wardrobe it will feel clunky and heavy. I do love the view in the common bedroom.
65D2C2A9-05C2-4062-B3DF-C2621EA56A80-240

Walls being built up.

Wall being built between master bedroom and toilet. My master bathroom supposed to have a bathtub but after alot of considerations, and advise from kind forumers and friends that it will be hardly used, we decided to ditch that idea. So we'll have a huge vanity area instead... 2.4m long. :jammin:
[url=http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/Mishmish84/media/E3C8BDDC-6493-49A5-A316-B686F3EBDB94-2050-0000017150DE2BE2_zps5aecb983.jpg.html]

E3C8BDDC-6493-49A5-A316-B686F3EBDB94-205

Edited by mishmish