Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Harriette

Modern Em Reno@ Bukit Panjang

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Under the original design, the door of the study/helper's room opens into the kitchen. However, HDB did not approve this as an habitable room is not allowed to open into the kitchen (a fire hazard). Relocating the door of the study/helper's room will eat into valuable shoe cabinet space.

gallery_55783_168_39816.jpg

So we decided to swop the dining room and the study/helper room. This enables us to have an open kitchen/dining and makes better use of space. We also incorporate a bench for wearing shoes. The new study/helper room is smaller though.

Revised floor plan:

gallery_55783_168_36746.jpg

Some new renderings:

gallery_55783_168_31830.jpg

gallery_55783_168_29857.jpg

gallery_55783_168_36585.jpg

gallery_55783_168_1856.jpg

Under the original design, the door of the study/helper's room opens into the kitchen. However, HDB did not approve this as an habitable room is not allowed to open into the kitchen (a fire hazard). Relocating the door of the study/helper's room will eat into valuable shoe cabinet space.

gallery_55783_168_39816.jpg

Hi,

I didn't know that such a rule exist. Our helper's room door is opening into the kitchen.

If you decide to stick to the original design, maybe you can let the HDB officer know that you will just use it as an utility/study room.

For safety purpose, you just have to make sure your helper has a set of keys to slide open the window grilles when there is a real fire.

Have you considered moving the shoe cabinet to the bottom right corner, with the seating bench next to it on the left just below your window? In this way you can free up the space and have an open kitchen with dining table rotates 90deg from your current plan...just a thought.

Hi Harriette,

Congrats for ur new EM, awesome view and glass balcony is a super bonus! U are very lucky ☺

Saw your layout just wonder if your would wanna consider to relocate your helper door to the current shoe rack position and seal up the current entrance..then you may consider using this kinds pull open shelving for shoe rack?

45ed0539187837b6ad763786d4fbf552_zps337d

That way you don't compromise shoe rack space, at the same time meet HDB rule to have a safety entrance for helper :)

*just my two cents*

• Like 1

Hi Benauhc, 1d2wish and EMinLove,

Thanks for dropping by. I have asked my ID to look into revising the shoe cabinet design. Hopefully, things will work out.

Renovation works are currently in progress. The tiles in the toilets were hacked. New tiles are up, and grouting will be applied soon. Mr Yeak (my contractor) was proud of his tiler's workmanship. He said it is very difficult to create such thin gaps between the tiles, and it will look even better after the grouting are applied.

Here is a photo of one of the toilets. I'm using the same tiles in all 3 toilets.

gallery_55783_168_15782.jpg

These works were done too:

• The walls of the original kitchen and study were hacked.
  • False ceilings were removed.
  • The handrail of the stairs was removed.
  • Protection was laid for the existing granite flooring and parquet flooring.

gallery_55783_168_240772.jpg

We have opted to install wood-alike tiles in the balcony to create a "resort feel that is easy to maintain. The big trees seen from the balcony is part of a park. This park is located next to the pond.

gallery_55783_168_18990.jpg

The wood-alike tiles will be mounted on the balcony wall too.

gallery_55783_168_35972.jpg

Here is a closer look at the floor tiles:

gallery_55783_168_32549.jpg

(photo credit: butter paper studio)

Edited by Harriette