Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
EMinlove

Love In Em @ Jurong West

Hello all,

We are a new owner of an EM at JW! Did a purchase of a 20++yrs resale EM at Jurong West in July, waited for a few months before we finally get our keys (owner rented our place for 1 additional month).

image_zps45ba3df0.jpg

I would say we are super lucky as my husband is a new PR and just a couple of days prior to our first HDB appointment government tighten the hdb purchase rule that new PR can't buy anymore. 😅

So here's our EM floor plan of 151sqm 😜

image_zpsfbb6b75d.jpg

We super love the space especially the balcony area and the double storey floor to have some privacy when we have guests in the house. When we were doing viewing of this place, we kept hovering around the balcony.....However, the house was in a mess and stinks! So we are doing an overhaul with this place.

As our journey begins with the renovation, I wanna share our dream home progress with all you and also to learn from you guys😊 Fell free to drop a pointer or two...much appreciated!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

So here's our place (@nightmare) before Reno....

P/S: pardon the mess in the photos, some were taken during viewing, some after owner moved out

Lets start with entrance, as we step into the house, on our left previous owner hacked down the study room wall to make into dining hall

image_zpsb5f31ff7.jpg

Stairs

image_zps537a5009.jpg

Kitchen view from dining room

image_zpsa14cee97.jpg

Kitchen view from balcony

image_zpsaf415177.jpg

Edited by EMinlove

Welcome Eminlove, at least your kitchen is nicer than my previous kitchen condition... All the best!

Thanks Pokz1981! The kitchen condition were pretty bad, there were masking tap all over the sink this place need to redo everything. Sigh...

I notice your house layout is quite similar as mine with the balcony on the side connected to the kitchen and living room. I super love that!😊

Edited by EMinlove

Balcony

image_zps16c661fb.jpg

Living room with the hideous looking zig zag mid way at the staircase (ugh)

image_zps3f6e6502.jpg

Living room

image_zps40b0a502.jpg

I did not bother to take much photo upstairs as everything is super messy and smells like urine

Common bathroom

image_zpsa3811976.jpg

Common bedroom

image_zpsc32d0738.jpg

Judging from the photo, you need a total revamp.

Hi OceanEleven,

Yes we will need to redo everything. Most of the work will focus on mainly downstairs at our kitchen,balcony and living room. we need to hack away all the tiles in kitchen and all 3 bathrooms, hack the staircase wall as it is very thick old fashion wall, plastering and paint entire house, carpentry work will be only our shoe rack, kitchen cabinets and my walk-in wardrobe at master room.

After seeing a few, we have narrowed down to 3 IDs:

1st ID: we met at expo, everything also "I know what u want, I know your style" but when we see the design..nothing impressive, something I could even think myself and totally out of our style. Sigh

2nd ID: we also met at expo. I felt a bit "scammed" coz the ID insisted for us to pay $1,000 to do up a proposal for us. We were totally sold at that point..as if got charmed into the sales pitch...so we paid that $1,000 . At first appt, their presentation was very impressive, but later on we felt they get a bit not too engaging anymore. Maybe is the "we locked down the business" mentality, i guess normally people will not change ID after paying $1K!

3rd ID: ah ha! Competition! This one is recommended by my fren who also engaged this ID to Reno for her new home. She said her other 3 friends also used the same ID and the works were good. First meeting, ID also went "I know I know" we were worried, but after seeing the first proposal, she seems quite good at her work and know what we want. So it boils down to $$ since 2nd ID we paid deposit..a bit heart pain to forfeit the service, but 3rd ID have a few small companies...we manage to save some $$ without paying gst. I think is a way they maneuver their cash flow? Anyhow, after balance up both IDs proposal, we get more value for money with 3rd ID. So decided to go with ID #3

Total damage so far is about $80K. We have started hacking the walls and design more or less fixed, material selection done. Lets pray everything goes well

We like a cross between New York Loft style vs Black & White style.

New York life style: more open, a bit raw, with brick walls and bookshelves

image_zps7ce7a801.jpg

image_zps4281082c.jpg

Black & White

image_zpsf50558fd.jpg

This is our first cut of 3D trying to look like New York loft playing with brick wall. But we didn't like it as the living room looks to enclosed, brick wall looks too out of place and is too ex to make a large piece of brick wall. Also due to HDB restriction with hacking down some walls, we cant achieve the "openness" that we need for new york loft sigh. So, we decided to go with Black & White

image_zpsec43c3ee.jpg

Hi,

Congrats for your new home....I think you are my new neighbor. We are at the same block and same floor.

Checkout my t-blog. We have the same layout. :thumbs up::good:

btw... do think about how you want to layout your funiture along the slanted walls especially the MBR and the living room area.

That is my made challenge when I got the house.

It is not easy to buy ready made wardore in the MBR and hope you already consider how you want to place your bed.