Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
EMinlove

Love In Em @ Jurong West

Omg Danny! Are you serious! Congrats to you too. Has your renovation started yet?

We are gg to cover up the slanted wall at MBR to make into walk-in wardrobe, and the one in living room we will put up a partition wall to cut out a section to make into storage room/feature wall for the tv at front. Let me see if I can post a photo of the layout later.

Btw are you going to hack your staircase? I just got the most devastating news ever! To hack it down it takes about close to $10K for PE approval etc! Totally heart broken 💔💔💔

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Btw are you going to hack your staircase? I just got the most devastating news ever! To hack it down it takes about close to $10K for PE approval etc! Totally heart broken

I engaged PE approval for some hacking works before and it cannot be so much. Of course, the cost of hacking it plus putting another staircase up will probably cost you a bomb. But the PE approval itself should not be much.

Hi Guys,

Just wonder if you have any tips to share to make my stairs look better?

We wanted the hack down these wall to make it a black railing in order to open up the area and look more modern to go with our black & white theme.

image_zpsfb54777b.jpg?t=1385376790

Unfortunately, our ID just sent me this message informing me that we have to go through tons of test and approvals before we can proceed!

6a671758-4a13-491a-8410-9e823a57faaf_zps

The breakdown of the total cost to get all these approvals is absurd! :deal:

d8749088-cb38-4e52-8988-5e0fdb3ba403_zps

The total evaluation cost more than my stairs! :bangwall: Looks like we can't do without the stupid thick wall sigh. At first I thought below the wall is red bricks, so maybe we could scrape away the away the old plaster to expose the brick area. Unfortunately, it is made out of concrete :bangwall: We kinda stucked not quite sure how to make the wall looks a bit thin visually or look more interesting rather than a blank solid white wall. =(

I engaged PE approval for some hacking works before and it cannot be so much. Of course, the cost of hacking it plus putting another staircase up will probably cost you a bomb. But the PE approval itself should not be much.

Kstoh:

My ID said PE consultation cost about $7000-8000! I wanna faint already...u see the quote i posted. sigh

How about you source for a PE directly yourself, instead of going thru your ID?

Thanks Harriette!

Any idea how much will the aveg cost of a PE? Because if the PE aveg cost around $3-5K still will burst our budget :~

Omg Danny! Are you serious! Congrats to you too. Has your renovation started yet?

We are gg to cover up the slanted wall at MBR to make into walk-in wardrobe, and the one in living room we will put up a partition wall to cut out a section to make into storage room/feature wall for the tv at front. Let me see if I can post a photo of the layout later.

Btw are you going to hack your staircase? I just got the most devastating news ever! To hack it down it takes about close to $10K for PE approval etc! Totally heart broken

It is not easy to find EM unit with pointed arrow shape like ours...

Most of the unit in this block is around 148sqm (except for those corner units) as compare to ours 151sqm but the extra 3sqm in the house give a huge challenge in design and taken away valuable space in the 3rd bedroom and the actual dining area.

All EM initially came with simple metal handrail, I think your previous owner either hack it off or cement over the metal rail with concrete.

Do you intend to remove the entire staircase including the steps or just the handrail wall? 10K just for consultancy work and PE fee very EX wor :jawdrop:

If it is just for the handrail wall, I am not sure why it is so expensive, since it might just be constructed over the staircase and not structurely joined up with the entire staircase. Get a second opinion from another PE or write in to HDB to appeal or for advice.

btw, are you hacking the flooring or overlaying? understand from your previous owner that they are the 1st owner so you can save some cost if you overlay the flooring and use the money to construct your dream staircase... just a suggestion.

alternatively, do you consider using wallpaper over the wall, nowadays those bricks printed wallpaper has very good 3D effect and looks like real brick wall.

Drop by IMM this shop call Wall Story to survey some of their wall paper design.

Sure got a way out...no worry and enjoy the process of building your dream home :good:

It is not easy to find EM unit with pointed arrow shape like ours...

Most of the unit in this block is around 148sqm (except for those corner units) as compare to ours 151sqm but the extra 3sqm in the house give a huge challenge in design and taken away valuable space in the 3rd bedroom and the actual dining area.

All EM initially came with simple metal handrail, I think your previous owner either hack it off or cement over the metal rail with concrete.

Do you intend to remove the entire staircase including the steps or just the handrail wall? 10K just for consultancy work and PE fee very EX wor :jawdrop:

If it is just for the handrail wall, I am not sure why it is so expensive, since it might just be constructed over the staircase and not structurely joined up with the entire staircase. Get a second opinion from another PE or write in to HDB to appeal or for advice.

btw, are you hacking the flooring or overlaying? understand from your previous owner that they are the 1st owner so you can save some cost if you overlay the flooring and use the money to construct your dream staircase... just a suggestion.

alternatively, do you consider using wallpaper over the wall, nowadays those bricks printed wallpaper has very good 3D effect and looks like real brick wall.

Drop by IMM this shop call Wall Story to survey some of their wall paper design

Sure got a way out...no worry and enjoy the process of building your dream home :good:

Hey Danny,

Oh the original state was metal rail huh? That's good to know :) ! My ID insisted it is concrete that's why the approval cost so much!

Ya the previous owner was the first owner..wow I think u really staying very near me! Sorry if the hacking process is disturbing oops! They just started hacking and cleared debris. We are gg down to see it this evening. My ID not too in favor of wallpaper, she said it wouldn't last...and I think for stairs may not be too ideal as it will dirty fast coz heavy traffic at that area. We are planning to overlay laminates to save some $$ and hack the kitchen/balcony to lay tiles.

Thanks for the advise. I will try to get a second PE opinion and reappeal. Maybe still got hope ya.... Sigh just started Reno so much problem d, sian :(

Edited by EMinlove

You only need to peep at your neighboring units to have an idea of the original state. I also think original should be metal railings.

Hey Danny,

Oh the original state was metal rail huh? That's good to know :) ! My ID insisted it is concrete that's why the approval cost so much!

Ya the previous owner was the first owner..wow I think u really staying very near me! Sorry if the hacking process is disturbing oops! They just started hacking and cleared debris. We are gg down to see it this evening. My ID not too in favor of wallpaper, she said it wouldn't last...and I think for stairs may not be too ideal as it will dirty fast coz heavy traffic at that area. We are planning to overlay laminates to save some $$ and hack the kitchen/balcony to lay tiles.

Thanks for the advise. I will try to get a second PE opinion and reappeal. Maybe still got hope ya.... Sigh just started Reno so much problem d, sian :(

Feel free to knock on my door this evening if you want to see a house of your similar layout in plan.

Not very nicely done up but I think better then the original state of the house. :P

It is like that for reno, I consider experience guy over renovation processes since I done it twice in the last 4 years still have some problem this time round.

Just saw your permit pasted on the lift lobby, you only have 1 month for the renovation....can be rushed for the among of work that need to be done. Track your progress with your ID well...dun just take their words too much...can be just lips service. Check the progress frequently and add some pressure on them. :sport-smiley-003:

Cheers.

Feel free to knock on my door this evening if you want to see a house of your similar layout in plan.

Not very nicely done up but I think better then the original state of the house. :P

It is like that for reno, I consider experience guy over renovation processes since I done it twice in the last 4 years still have some problem this time round.

Just saw your permit pasted on the lift lobby, you only have 1 month for the renovation....can be rushed for the among of work that need to be done. Track your progress with your ID well...dun just take their words too much...can be just lips service. Check the progress frequently and add some pressure on them. :sport-smiley-003:

Cheers.

Danny, can PM me your unit number? Goodness I didn't know the permit is only for one month! I think may not make it with such short duration @_@

Why don't you call the original owner?

Francisg,

Yup, we are getting the agent to check with Owner and my iD to check with contractor to see if we can just reinstate it back to metal rail without submit for permit since that was the original state. But pending confirmation for the ID and Owner now. Aiyo headache :'(

Francisg,

Yup, we are getting the agent to check with Owner and my iD to check with contractor to see if we can just reinstate it back to metal rail without submit for permit since that was the original state. But pending confirmation for the ID and Owner now. Aiyo headache :'(

there are several owners that hack whole stairs. I think kooky even changed the orientation of the stairs.should not be a big problem.

the advise to see your neighbours' is a good one. take a look at how theirs are constructed. it will give you a good idea.

there are several owners that hack whole stairs. I think kooky even changed the orientation of the stairs.should not be a big problem.

the advise to see your neighbours' is a good one. take a look at how theirs are constructed. it will give you a good idea.

Alfredt,

Yup we saw a few houses ALL have metal railing, dannywmp had been so kind to offer me to have a tour at his house too as I just found out today that we are really next door neighbour lolx He also has metal rail.

Unfortunately, my ID said the art work submitted now is concrete wall so the HDB approval is based on current structure. My ID guys are trying to put up another case to see if we could pull out the original layout before the first owner did their reno to put up a case. I pray hard it works.

Otherwise last resort maybe I have to personally call HDB up 8| BUT i hope that would be the last resort. Worst worst scenario we just have to Be DIfferent and make do with the stupid thick stairs while everyone else have their metal rail stairs :angry2: . $10k consultation cost for approval is way way too much and totally out of our budget :( We shall see, fingers crossed :bow: