Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
vicx1234

A "scandustrial" Concept ~ Sengkang Ea

I have the same experience with Artist Room. Despite various attempts, they did not get back at all.

Yup, only thing we can do is move on if they're not interested. Could very well be that they choose which projects are "interesting" enough for them to do, or projects which would yield more returns for the amount of time that they spend on it.

Jia You! Jia You!!!

I share your excitement to see the final outcome! Smooth reno ya..keep posting :)

Thanks! Watch this space for more updates.

Cool! Where did you order your laminates from? We're sorta deciding between wall laminates and wallpaper.

We're thinking of going with lamitak for the feature wall laminate. Now the question is whether or not to choose something more rustic, as per option 1 or a plain woodgrain as per option 2. What do you think? Any others have an opinion about this?

Option 1

6mm4.jpg

Option 2

hhyt.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I had a lot of problems with artist room as well. Made appointments, last minute change appointments etc until I was pretty fed up and sent him a firm email and cannot imagine getting them.

Yup, only thing we can do is move on if they're not interested. Could very well be that they choose which projects are "interesting" enough for them to do, or projects which would yield more returns for the amount of time that they spend on it.

Thanks! Watch this space for more updates.

We're thinking of going with lamitak for the feature wall laminate. Now the question is whether or not to choose something more rustic, as per option 1 or a plain woodgrain as per option 2. What do you think? Any others have an opinion about this?

Option 1

6mm4.jpg

Option 2

hhyt.jpg

Personally, I would choose Option 1, solely because Option 2 may look a little too similar to my floor tiles. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, if you want some "flow". Both are really nice. How much does it cost?

I had a lot of problems with artist room as well. Made appointments, last minute change appointments etc until I was pretty fed up and sent him a firm email and cannot imagine getting them.

yea good decision, otherwise there may be more headaches down the road as well! Who did you end up getting in the end?

Personally, I would choose Option 1, solely because Option 2 may look a little too similar to my floor tiles. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, if you want some "flow". Both are really nice. How much does it cost?

Thanks for the input! That's a good point on the similarity of the woodgrain to the floor tiles, but it may not be as bad in our case since our woodgrain tiles are in the kitchen whereas the laminate wall will be contrasted against grey cement screed lookalike floors. Tough decision! Not too sure about the cost as of now since we haven't been quoted the carpentry costs. There was a bit of a screw up with the carpenter we initially planned to hire, so we had to switch midway, oh well. Will find out soon and PM you.

First post of the new year! Hope everyone had a good time celebrating with friends and family and are now nicely settled in at work.

Just wanna share some of the purchases we'd made in recent times:

Electronic Appliances
8zh7.jpg
LG 3D Smart TV 55 inch - Model: 55LA6620 (for living room) & Samsung Smart TV 40 inch (for MBR) from Gain City. Got a pretty good deal on the LG 3D tv which was packaged with a sound bar and woofer, at one of the Gain City expo fairs.
x6yo.jpg
Samsung 2 dr fridge Model No. RT5582BTBWW from Gain City - all white to suit the look of our kitchen! We initially chose a side by side fridge, but realized that we would not be able to put any large cakes in it, so we switched to a 2 dr fridge instead. Came with a free Samsung vacuum cleaner.
zllm.png
LG Condenser Dryer Model No. TDC8012A from Zero - We chose a condenser type dryer because we didn't want to have to place any ugly pipes to 'vent' the hot air. Plus, it won't heat our kitchen up.
3k5i.jpg
Samsung Washer Model No. wf702u2bkwq from Zero - excellent water efficiency, and more importantly there is a 15 min quick wash function available. Some brands have a min of 30 mins or 45 min quick wash time. Quicker washing means less water wasted!
gnh0.jpg
Rinnai RB-3CG stove from Zero - lots of great reviews about this product. Looks gorgeous, cooks food quickly and has a real strong flame. We're all set to cook up a storm.
w5ix.png
EF Powerslim 90 SS from Zero - Superb suction power at up to 1000m3/hr. Now let's hope it performs as mentioned. It was a toss up between this model and the Fujioh FX900 which had good reviews as well.
The above products were bought from 2 vendors, Gain City and renotalker 'Zero'. While Zero's prices are generally lower, you can only pay by cash, i.e. no purchase by instalment available. Gain City gave us a better deal on the tv and fridge, and we were pleasantly surprised to get a $50 voucher when we paid by DBS credit card. Not to mention, our salesperson gave me a special gift when I told him it was my birthday just the day before! Quite pleased with Gain City

Furniture

5c5s.jpg

We managed to find a good deal for the sofa above. Quite a popular design and more places are beginning to sell it, but it's still the cheapest at this store though. The colour selection available wasn't great though, grey still being the nicest.

k7y3.jpg
Our MBR wingback bed. Picture doesn't really do it justice as it doesn't show off the curve on each side of the headboard. As for the colour, E preferred it to be in light blue, so light blue it is. We also got it together with their mattress which is apparently being supplied to some hotels in Singapore including M hotel. Whatever the case, it passed the comfort test when we tried it and I believe it was a pretty good deal when packaged with the headboard.

jtn7.jpg
A bookshelf which we will use as a kitchen "baker's" shelf instead, it was on half price, so no complaints there.

p9wf.jpg
Study table from taobao! We've been buying alot of our lights, furniture and even a sink from taobao after reading about all the success and savings renotalkers have had with taobao. A bit nervous as to how the bulky furniture will actually turn out since we haven't actually seen a physical specimen from the actual store. However, we did see the above study table from a local store (but with PRC store assistants) in the exact same design and since everything is now made in China, we figured there was an equal chance that the table could have been manufactured by the same factory. Made a leap of faith and purchased it.

7hk4.jpg
Dining table also from taobao! We are a little bit more nervous about this purchase cos we really do not know what to expect. Have yet to see this design in Singapore, and it could be such that the colour and woodgrain is completely off! Could either be the best or worst purchasing decision yet, depending on how it looks upon assembly. That said, buying furniture from taobao costs at least 40% less than what you get in local stores, even after shipping!

m54l.jpg
Our TV console which we will be custom made to our desired dimensions (210mm x 400mm x 550mm). Loving the nice walnut woodgrain and colour.

Purchases continued....

8uzr.jpg
Two of these industrial stools (one of which will be in a different design) which will be used as bedside tables in the MBR. The best part about having stools as bedside tables is that you can always bring it out to the dining room when there aren't enough chairs.

lg4k.jpg
Singer sewing machine legs in 'refrigerator' white colour. Can anyone guess where it'll be placed?

aogo.jpg
Nice big single bowl sink so that no washing job is too difficult

lrtx.jpg
Matte black fan for the living room. One of the closer designs to the haiku fan which we can't afford.
495p.jpg
Lights for the dining area. Gives the space a real nice industrial chic look and should pair really well with our dining table.
jj3x.jpg
A trio of wall lamps for our kitchen! This will be used as additional task and accent lighting as and when required. Quite excited to see these hooked up and turned on.

Furniture

Study table from taobao! We've been buying alot of our lights, furniture and even a sink from taobao after reading about all the success and savings renotalkers have had with taobao. A bit nervous as to how the bulky furniture will actually turn out since we haven't actually seen a physical specimen from the actual store. However, we did see the above study table from a local store (but with PRC store assistants) in the exact same design and since everything is now made in China, we figured there was an equal chance that the table could have been manufactured by the same factory. Made a leap of faith and purchased it.
Dining table also from taobao! We are a little bit more nervous about this purchase cos we really do not know what to expect. Have yet to see this design in Singapore, and it could be such that the colour and woodgrain is completely off! Could either be the best or worst purchasing decision yet, depending on how it looks upon assembly. That said, buying furniture from taobao costs at least 40% less than what you get in local stores, even after shipping!

A fine leap of faith. Am getting items off Taobao as well. In fact, majority of the household items.

I feel buying non moving/electrical items from Taobao are still manageable in quality.

More of a concern will be damaged shipping, returning, wood grains effect etc.

Gd luck on your tb purchases! The tables look like they can be flat packed so I think much less prone to being damaged during shipment.

The book shelf looks good! Where'd u get it from?

Thanks juxstapose. The shelf is from Commune and we got it at one of their sales relatively recently at a bargain because it was a display piece. However, the salesgirl told us that the item might be discontinued, so I'm not sure if you will still see it there.

Nice purchases you have scored! Very true to your theme!

Thanks for dropping by Makanology! We certainly try to keep to our theme, though I must say that it is pretty difficult what with all the wonderful choices there are in the market right now, some of which don't fit with our theme but are still very very nice! Looking forward to seeing how it all fits together.

A fine leap of faith. Am getting items off Taobao as well. In fact, majority of the household items.

I feel buying non moving/electrical items from Taobao are still manageable in quality.

More of a concern will be damaged shipping, returning, wood grains effect etc.

Yup, the wood grain especially is a big mystery at this point in time and certainly one of the biggest points to be nervous about. We are also abit concerned about how the colour of the wood will turn out. Having chosen 'walnut' colour and not having had any real colour reference in the seller's page, we are hoping and praying that it's a colour that will match our existing colour choices. Looking forward to see what you bought from taobao as well.

Gd luck on your tb purchases! The tables look like they can be flat packed so I think much less prone to being damaged during shipment.

Thanks Greg! Yeap I certainly hope that the seller and Peeka pack it properly, the last thing we want is for the table top or legs to come cracked. Fingers crossed everything comes intact.

nice study desk..looks sturdy..! can share what's the length of that table? :D

Thanks Hanafi! The table comes in 3 lengths - 1.5m, 1.6m and 1.8m, although the seller did have the option to choose a custom length of your desire. We took the 1.5m option as our study space is quite small.

Furniture

m54l.jpg
Our TV console which we will be custom made to our desired dimensions (210mm x 400mm x 550mm). Loving the nice walnut woodgrain and colour.
Hi Vicx1234,
Welcome to the neighbourhood. I like the look of the above TV console as well. May I check with you the custom made by local carpenter or TaoBao supplier. Is it possible to provide me the URL for the item as well. Cheers

Furniture

Hi Vicx1234,
Welcome to the neighbourhood. I like the look of the above TV console as well. May I check with you the custom made by local carpenter or TaoBao supplier. Is it possible to provide me the URL for the item as well. Cheers

Thanks bro, and welcome to you as well!

We got the tv console from a local store called Mode Studio located at Marina Square. Starting to get a bit nervous about this purchase because I just read unfavourable reviews about their group of companies which include La Cafa, Red Apple and Winter International. Will post a review after we take delivery of our tv console later this month.

Has anyone else bought from Mode Studio or any of the other companies above in recent times?