Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Songz

3 Room Resale

Hi everyone, been reading this forum since I started sourcing for my house.

Thought it will be great to start a blog to share my renovation journey for my first house.

After going through various viewing, I settle for a flat at Ang Mo Kio Blk 118 - Corridor Unit (*Only look around AMK as my mum stay there)

Just settled my 2nd OTP thus mostly getting the house in End March or April, got to admit that buying through single's scheme is really very taxing on the wallet.

Below is my Floor Plan

Floor Plan

I have not really decide how to renovate my house so I really hope some experienced people can give some advise to me :

From house renovation,ID or contractors, brands of electrical stuff or any other small minor things which I should take note ^^

(Thanks in advance)

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Congrats! Start looking for IDs but don't commit yet, they may indirectly give you some ideas on how to renovate your house. Consolidate all their ideas, combine/adjust them to your taste and balance them with practicality and budget too. Look at home deco magazines (online too) for more ideas. Electrical and furniture selection can come later once you decide on your room themes/designs.

*** Keeping this post for items purchased ***

Philips Air Fryer (HD9220/20) - Gain City Expo

http://www.philips.com.sg/c/home-cooking/viva-collection-airfryer-with-rapid-air-technology-hd9220_20/prd/

Lights (Living, Kitchen & Bedroom) - TB

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=24440372768&spm=a1z09.5.0.0.ko2Eyv

【简洁】40w

Lights (Storeroom, Bathroom & Utility Room) - TB

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=24440372768&spm=a1z09.5.0.0.ko2Eyv

【花边】22w

Lights (MBR - 22W with ability of changing colors) - TB

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a220o.1000855.0.0.WIcNJI&id=35933587526&rn=8bd1dfd624afcea4542eade0e0533052

Hand Motion Night Light - TB

Kitchen Sink - TB

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5.w4011-5518391007.35.msV1lL&id=26058692108&rn=33682548a808cafdac832b281fadc70c

Kitchen Tap - TB

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.w7204333-5518545874.22.Kh8esJ&id=38351293566

Kitchen Sink Drainage - TB

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.w7204333-5518592407.2.dj25vR&id=25888720802

Bathroom Towel Rack - TB

Clothes Pole - TB
Clothes Hanger - TB
Bathroom Rack - TB
Toilet Bowl Scrub - TB
Toilet Paper Holder - TB
Cup Holder - TB
Towel Rack - TB
Edited by Songz

Hi Songz, congrats on ur new flat & welcome to the 3-roomers' club & to RT! :D

Ya do ur homework to gather as much ideas as possible, & consider the options & budget carefully! Take ur time if time is not a critical factor (know the eagerness to do it though :P)

Njoy ur reno journey! Looking forward to our sharing experience with u & seeing the transforamtion! :yamseng:

Hi Songz, congrats on ur new flat & welcome to the 3-roomers' club & to RT! :D

Ya do ur homework to gather as much ideas as possible, & consider the options & budget carefully! Take ur time if time is not a critical factor (know the eagerness to do it though :P)

Njoy ur reno journey! Looking forward to our sharing experience with u & seeing the transforamtion! :yamseng:

Thanks for the welcome.

Before I get key I am trying my best to read blogs and renovation tips to see things to take note and getting some ideas.

Haven't really decide if I should do a major Renovation or just some simple minor adjustment to current house though.

After viewing quite a number of fellow forumers' blog, I am thinking of the following :

1. Creating a Vanity area outside the master bedroom bathroom, installing a shower at there.

2. Hacking the Storeroom away to make the Master Bedroom bigger

3. Build a storeroom taking up spacing from kitchen area (Include shifting the kitchen entrance further in)

Yesterday met up with an ID for a short while below my blk.

Frank from Juz Interior (*Previously from ID28 Design) - Does anyone know of the 2 stated and any comments ?

Quite a friendly Malaysian and some nice ideas for renovation (By verbal and drawing on the floor plan only).

Given me a quote which include : Hacking works,Masonary Works (Tiles max range $3psf & $2.6psf for bathroom), Cornices Works, Plumping works, Electrical Works, Painting works and other Misc works like cleaning and washing and etc

-Not showing the quotation in details as I am not sure if I am allowed to post here. (Anyone can advise on this ?)

(*Just realize that no carpentry works in the list, got to double check with him)

Total Estimate Costing - Around 29K

However like what some forumers have advise, do not believe every word of it and must take a look myself at his current jobsite or past work if his ex-customers allow.

Main Highlights :

Suggest hacking the storeroom for either walk in walkdrobe for both bedroom or make space for master bedroom (This will include shifting the door to living room for both bedroom and a wall will be erected to replace the previous entrance door of the bedroom.

Another idea for storeroom to be reconstructed in Kitchen as cabinet rather as a room shifting the kitchen more inwards.

Edited by Songz

Congrats on your purchase, Songz.

I am also a new resale 3 room flat owner. My unit is at TPY thou.

Should collect my keys somewhere in Mar 2014.

All the best to your reno. I will be following your blog closely :)

Congrats on your purchase, Songz.

I am also a new resale 3 room flat owner. My unit is at TPY thou.

Should collect my keys somewhere in Mar 2014.

All the best to your reno. I will be following your blog closely :)

Thanks for the welcome.

I will be getting my keys during End March mostly. ^^

Have you source for your renovation ID/Contractor and your other items like kitchen sink, fridge and etc ...

Hi Songz,

My dad is a reno contractor. So he will be helping me. I just have to tell him my budget and design.

I am a bit overwhelmed and have not even decided on what I want.

Mine is a 3i unit. Only 1 wc and 1 shower. And I dun have a storeroom to enlarge my Masterbedroom.

My current planning is to hack both toilets to 1, open up an entry from masterbedroom to toilet, "eat-in" the common room for use as walk-in-wardrobe.

I am seeing a lot of house owner with theme and ideas. I am getting worried cos I have no concrete idea at all.

Edited by SPTan

Hi SPTan,

Mine is also 3i unit. just like you only 1 wc & 1 shower, and no storeroom. Good thing is that the former owner already hack and opened up a entry from MBR to the toilet. Just gotten my keys and renovation only start last Friday.

Songz, has a much bigger 3rm unit (even has utility room) so envious :P

Bigger place comes with bigger price tag & COV so my renovation budget is way below what I intended to spend :jawdrop:

Not to forget bigger space = higher cost of Renovation. :jawdrop:

SPTan : I like your idea a lot on hacking 2 bathroom to 1 and connecting it to your MBR.

For the other room I think its a good idea to hack it if you have no plans of adding people to the household as you may need to rebuild the room again in future if there is add on of people.

(*Just my 2 cents worth)

claypot : Wish you a smooth renovation ^^

By the way can share on your bathroom and kitchen items which you have picked ?? (*Eg. Kitchen Sink, Basin, Shower type, Heater Brand ) :notti:

Bigger place comes with bigger price tag & COV so my renovation budget is way below what I intended to spend :jawdrop:

Not to forget bigger space = higher cost of Renovation. :jawdrop:

SPTan : I like your idea a lot on hacking 2 bathroom to 1 and connecting it to your MBR.

For the other room I think its a good idea to hack it if you have no plans of adding people to the household as you may need to rebuild the room again in future if there is add on of people.

(*Just my 2 cents worth)

claypot : Wish you a smooth renovation ^^

By the way can share on your bathroom and kitchen items which you have picked ?? (*Eg. Kitchen Sink, Basin, Shower type, Heater Brand ) :notti:

Hi Songz, welcome and congrats. You're right about the reno budget. We bought a resale and paid COV, hence we could only do so much for reno. Had to give up on a lot of ideas. Was close to buying a unit like yours. Would've "combined" the 2 bathrooms. :) Wishing you a smooth reno! We've named 2 IDs in our blog that we recommend people have a chat with. Have a look.

Glad to see many fellow 3-roomers here!

Congrats bros & sis on ur flat acquisition!! :yamseng:

With good space planning, design & tasteful furninshing, small spaces can oso turn out swee swee! :good:

Have a smooth, and enjoy all ur reno journey!!

@inthehouse same to u too!

Hi Songz, welcome to renotalk and congrats on embarking on this exciting reno journey!

Take this time while waiting for your keys to formulate your design ideas and concepts & meetup with various IDs or contractors. Oh yes, don't just go for the cheapest quote, but go with one which is reasonably priced and where you can çlick' with the ID/contractor handling your project. It will be really important further down the road.

I found websites such as pinterest, houzz, home & decor (for some local flavour), apartment therapy, digsdigs to be particularly useful when we were trying to conceptualize our home and look for inspiration.

You may also wanna read this:

http://noobhomeowner.blogspot.sg/2013/04/words-of-wisdom-from-renotalk.html

All the best!

Oh yes, I like the idea of combining the 2 bathrooms into 1 too, but unless you want guests to walk through your mbr to get to the toilet, you will prob have to maintain the access from the kitchen.

Hi vicx, sorry our posts crossed.

Congrats & enjoy ur reno journey too! :)

See that u've engaged 3D Innovations (I also did mine by 3D 1.5 yrs ago). Have read that Jimmy is a good ID! U are under gd hands! :yamseng:

• Like 1