Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
elin1029

My First Renovation Experience

Before I share more, I'd like to find out if anybody out there changed all the pipes to PPR pipes for plumbing work and roughly how much did it cost for a house about the size of 5rm - two bathrooms, a toilet and kitchen? You can PM me if you are not comfortable stating the price here. Thanks.

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Nobody uses PPR pipes? I searched renotalk forum and from the various discussions it seems PPR pipes are cheaper than copper pipes, like half the price. Hmm... somehow I was given the impression that PPR pipes are good and expensive and I had to top up quite a sum of money to replace existing pipes with PPR pipes.

Anyway, I made the final payment yesterday and my renovation has officially completed. Some outstanding works, but no urgency. I would like to share my thoughts and highlight some experiences from this renovation process. My contractor is Mr K.

One look at the pics and i feel your house have this Europe-ish feeling. Until u mentioned u travel to Europe regularly. Not bad! Although Paris houses are way smaller.

Thanks Eno.

Sappyd, will pm you. But take note that this fan is actually quite dangerous. It's very powerful despite its small size even at the lowest speed and because there isn't a "cage" to contain it, the consequence can be disastrous and bloody if one were to walk into it or raise his/her hand into the fan. Previously it was installed by the electrician further out, I had to insist they shift it further into the corner. Even so, I will keep the controller so its use is tightly controlled.

This was my first renovation project. Before this I was totally clueless about renovation and as I was going to do this all by myself and I've heard horror stories about contractors and renovation, I wanted someone I could trust to do the renovation. Also, I had a tight schedule, not that I wanted to get the house ready by Christmas or Chinese New Year, but I had to move out of my previous place end of November and I had two dogs to bring along. One a medium sized mongrel and another a 15 year old blind and deaf dog. It would be very challenging to rent some short term place that will allow dog(s). Even family members don't want to take my dogs in :(

So I went through the forum and came across the highly raved about Mr K. I was attracted by the reviews of him being "fast and good". I was not crazy about his works, but since I knew what I wanted for the house, I just needed a contractor to help me bring my design to life. He seemed to fit the bill - fast and good.

But I thought I should contact other IDs/contractors for quotation and I did. I got quotations from Weiken, Spacious Planner, La Bonne Vie, Renzz and Jiawei of TWCS. However, my mind was pretty set on Mr K and I didn't really follow up with them for discussions. Jiawei was my second choice but he is horribly bad at keeping appointments. He cancelled meetings last minute several times and we didn't manage to meet up at all. Anyway, from the quotations, Mr K's was the highest, even more expensive than ID's. I knew I was paying more, but I wanted "fast and good".

(to be continued)