Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
AlisaWu

Yet Another Budget Reno >.<

I'm sure I have created my T-blog topic before but for some reason, I can't access that account anymore (a combi of these problems facebook/email/password).

So as our key collection date gets closer (suppose to be next Monday, but I had it changed to next Saturday 22 Feb), I thought I will start another 1 again.

We have already chosen our contractor, however, have not signed the contract yet as I would like to see the final quotation, but it's pretty much set.

I will not talk about other contractors/IDs as:

1. some did not reply us from the get go

2. communication stopped halfway (asked for revised quotation but no reply)

3. quotations are way too ridiculous

We were asking right before CNY period so 1 and 2 can understand.

3 I will attribute to the fact that they have to abide by company pricing strategies?

So it is just that we got no 缘 to work with that particular ID/contractor, we got no angry stories to tell just that it is very tedious repeating ourselves again and again lah..

I will not talk about my contractor also as I dunno his workmanship etc... so will only mention him when my reno is concluded :thumbs up:

So I shall start as everybody have before me, with the floorplan.

So from this,

Untitled-10.png

We are planning to make it into this.

houseafter.png

We do not plan to have a dining table as it's just the 2 of us and we are not the kind to use a dining table, of course, I do realize that I should have 1 for occasions, so we will be getting a telescopic retractable table, at min, it's 45cm long and we will use it as side table, put a mirror over it and put it at the foyer area. at max, it's 2m long, nice for a dinner party :good:

We constructed a foyer area with a drop as I can't imagine having shoes in the house, at least with this, it looks a little separated.

Next will be the kitchen, as we are on a relatively high floor, (and me being afraid of heights) we decided that we will never use the clothes hanging area outside the utility area, either we will use the dryer or the hanging thing on the ceiling, so we blocked up the area with the washing machine and dryer, and for any space left over, bottom cabinets.

Lastly we will do a pole system wardrobe to cover the air-con ledge at the masterbedroom, right in front of the window will be pole to hang clothes, so that it can be easily removed when the air-con guy needs to come for servicing.

Our quote was pretty reasonable, coming at 24k without electricals.

I'm expecting this reno to hit maybe 26-27k?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Our house will have no theme, I would even go as far to say, no style as well. as quite a but of our furnishings are bought cheap or used given by relatives (don't get me wrong, I'm totally fine with that), just that, until now, I have no idea what color is the sofa that our relative have given us except for the fact that it is 2-seater and leather..

Our 1st shopping spree is on Taobao.

tbpurchase1.jpg

Total damage is 1.6k excluding shipping..

And with that, I'm done with all the shopping until the 敲敲打打 part is all over..

Edited by AlisaWu

Good to see your t-blog and layout looks pretty similar to mine.

I have plans to go full assault on TB as well, just a quick question, which forwarder did you eventually use, i have seen 65daigou, peeka, amcon being floated around in the forum and i think i have read that TB South East Asia can ship (via air freight) directly as well. So i am wondering if you have compared the shipping prices across the different providers especially for bulky items?

I think on average, system 4 starmex is about $4k? from those that i have enquired from.

Thanks

I'm using Amcon as I find their rates are lower.

65daigou

does not have a bulk shipping price, therefore, the price is on the high side if you are going to buy taobao to furnish your entire house, I will only use them when I'm only buying a few small items and am too lazy to purchase it myself, which is rarely next to never.

by weight - 1st 500g at $4.7, subsequent 500g at $1.7

either volumetric or actual, whichever is higher.

hoyoyo

bulk shipping price is way more expensive then Amcon, however, if I were to buy small items, I will purchase myself, send to their warehouse and they will ship for me. this is my usual go to service provider when I buy taobao.

by weight - 1st kg at $6.8, subsequent 1kg at $4

might seem more expensive than 65daigou, but hoyoyo calculates strictly by weight, not volumetric.

my reason for using hoyoyo is that many of the items I usually get are light in weight.

by bulk - $300 per cubic meter

peeka

another expensive shipper, although bulk shipping cheaper than hoyoyo.

their strength is fast, which you will see reflected in their pricing as well. I always give plenty of time so don't see why I should pay a premium for that.

by weight - 1st 500g at $17, subsequent 500g at $3.5

by bulk - $250 per cubic meter

amcon

only does bulk, but at $110 per cubic meter, it's less than 1/2 the cost of peeka.

all conversions from rmb to sgd is at 5rmb to 1sgd for my easy calculation.

Edited by AlisaWu

Chanced upon your t blog... I was in my midst of finding air con deals as well... And a few days ago, my sis bto Fb group recommended a gain city guy whereby I was quoted 3900 for sys 4 for MIT starmex w g22 copper wire, half inch insulator and 16mm drainage pipes and I managed to bargain for two installation trips too... I find his pricing was reasonable after comparing with some Renotalk recommendations and direct coys... Plus he was still very friendly after answering my plenty of questions and worries on workmanship etc... ( quite kai see mentality, keep on checking and comparing btw quotes)

Well, if you are interested, I can pass you his contacts and you can find out more... Hope this helps...

Cheers...

• Like 1

I'm using Amcon as I find their rates are lower.

65daigou

does not have a bulk shipping price, therefore, the price is on the high side if you are going to buy taobao to furnish your entire house, I will only use them when I'm only buying a few small items and am too lazy to purchase it myself, which is rarely next to never.

by weight - 1st 500g at $4.7, subsequent 500g at $1.7

either volumetric or actual, whichever is higher.

hoyoyo

bulk shipping price is way more expensive then Amcon, however, if I were to buy small items, I will purchase myself, send to their warehouse and they will ship for me. this is my usual go to service provider when I buy taobao.

by weight - 1st kg at $6.8, subsequent 1kg at $4

might seem more expensive than 65daigou, but hoyoyo calculates strictly by weight, not volumetric.

my reason for using hoyoyo is that many of the items I usually get are light in weight.

by bulk - $300 per cubic meter

peeka

another expensive shipper, although bulk shipping cheaper than hoyoyo.

their strength is fast, which you will see reflected in their pricing as well. I always give plenty of time so don't see why I should pay a premium for that.

by weight - 1st 500g at $17, subsequent 500g at $3.5

by bulk - $250 per cubic meter

amcon

only does bulk, but at $110 per cubic meter, it's less than 1/2 the cost of peeka.

all conversions from rmb to sgd is at 5rmb to 1sgd for my easy calculation.

Thanks Alisa for the detailed evaluation of the providers, will look to Amcon then for my purchases. Have a smooth reno!

Chanced upon your t blog... I was in my midst of finding air con deals as well... And a few days ago, my sis bto Fb group recommended a gain city guy whereby I was quoted 3900 for sys 4 for MIT starmex w g22 copper wire, half inch insulator and 16mm drainage pipes and I managed to bargain for two installation trips too... I find his pricing was reasonable after comparing with some Renotalk recommendations and direct coys... Plus he was still very friendly after answering my plenty of questions and worries on workmanship etc... ( quite kai see mentality, keep on checking and comparing btw quotes)

Well, if you are interested, I can pass you his contacts and you can find out more... Hope this helps...

Cheers...

Hi shuuhs, can I have the contact for the aircon guy?

Thanks

Now looking at 2 sets of system 2s as contractor say will be less strain on the aircon..

Gonna have the 2 high usage areas paired with the 2 non high usage areas (ie. master with bedroom 2, living with bedroom 3)..

Thanks mavicaste, will check Aron out as well!!

HI~~

haha.. actually supposed to have gotten the house sooner, had 2 opportunities previously.

we were allowed to move our appt to 14 feb but hubby not free..

then our actual date which was 17 feb, again hubby not free :bleah:

in the end, we decided to change to 22 feb, as it's a saturday, so no more excuses..

so stay tuned for our photos this sat.. and hope we dun get a scare because of the pipes..

saw some neighbours, their pipes in really weird locations, run horizontally across the kitchen.. like omg!!

some are like this

1487370_10151748999086571_1032526677_n.j

which i feel is the norm and totally acceptable..

but some are like this!!

1174749_10151962385507795_1463120530_n.j

so imagine you do top cabinets on both sides :dunno: what are they thinking!!

Edited by AlisaWu

need some opinion here..

unevenwalls.jpg

what should i do with the uneven walls? spend $$ to even it??

afraid that the 1 in the living room will look like altar space :angry2:

initially only thought of make even the space behind tv console, but now look at it hor dunno should extend it all the way not..

Edited by AlisaWu

Hi there,

Your idea of a telescopic retractable table is interesting.. Have you thought of where you will be placing it?

For the dent in your living area, I just realised mine have the same issue too :jawdrop:

I think it depends on what you intend to put at the area beside the TV console? Coz to box up the entire length will reduce the space of the living room further..

And also, depends on the difference in price to box up partially and to box up the entire length as well..

i was thinking, when not in use, i will either put it perpendicular to the shoe cabinet (the area might be too cramp after though) or in that alcove in the living room..

but scare that that might make it look even more like altar space as i wanted to put mirror on top of that table..

it might reduce the living room, but just a little bit only, however, i believe it will cost a few hundred to cover it up....... :(

Edited by AlisaWu

• Like 1

i was thinking, when not in use, i will either put it perpendicular to the shoe cabinet (the area might be too cramp after though) or in that alcove in the living room..

but scare that that might make it look even more like altar space as i wanted to put mirror on top of that table..

it might reduce the living room, but just a little bit only, however, i believe it will cost a few hundred to cover it up....... :(

Hmm... how about putting some deco on the table so it won't look like an altar space? hang a piece of drawing there?