Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
koori

Clueless Single's 4Rm Reno

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

All the tiles & cement ~

IMG_2005_zps3b4cdb61.jpg

All hacked~

IMG_2006_zpsb00bc900.jpg

The doorway for bedroom 2. the other door will be for the storeroom entrance:

IMG_2010_zps9e8aa605.jpg

master bathroom.

IMG_2024_zps2d444b86.jpg

Didn't pay attention to the ceiling previously.......but the previous owner was really fond of cornices. It's really obvious now that all the built in cabinets have been taken down.

cornicecollage_zpsee967f90.jpg

Wow, u do a lot of hackings. Mine gonna start most likely next two weeks too.

And our layout is almost similar. except mine is super budget. :(

Look on the bright side bro.

Budget means you save more and maybe the concept of it suits you better in certain way

Anyway I may not do what I have planned previously as budget issue

(*Also cause I suddenly don want to spend so much on it as what if I wish to sell off in 5 yrs time)

Look on the bright side bro.

Budget means you save more and maybe the concept of it suits you better in certain way

Anyway I may not do what I have planned previously as budget issue

(*Also cause I suddenly don want to spend so much on it as what if I wish to sell off in 5 yrs time)

Haha Thanks bro.

But my budget is not save more, but becos I money no enough. :lol:

For me, most likely wont be selling ler, unless I get married and can apply BTO (which god knws when :bleah: ), else buying another Re-sale is a nightmare with the sky high prices.

Was already si bei heng when I buy cos of the zero COV but still, with every mth cash top up, I already vomitting blood. :bleah:

Haha Thanks bro.

But my budget is not save more, but becos I money no enough. :lol:

For me, most likely wont be selling ler, unless I get married and can apply BTO (which god knws when :bleah: ), else buying another Re-sale is a nightmare with the sky high prices.

Was already si bei heng when I buy cos of the zero COV but still, with every mth cash top up, I already vomitting blood. :bleah:

Totally understand where you are coming from... :lol:

For my case, if I go for my house planning design I may have a great looking house with no furniture budget :no:

Another thing is that I really wish to settle down for a family in future and I am afraid the renovation I did may not be suitable.

Lucky I still got few weeks to rethink it through.

:) I don't think I am spending a lot either...it helped though that the COV i paid for this unit was pretty low....so the cash not used in the COV is now going to my renovation.

As the contractor said 大有大做,小有小做。 [ie. any renovation welcome! haha]

I was worried about my budget being too small too - I went "I don't want TV feature wall, don't want custom cabinet, don't want this, don't want that"....I thought the ID/contractors will start rolling their eyes and go 'don't renovate'....

:) I don't think I am spending a lot either...it helped though that the COV i paid for this unit was pretty low....so the cash not used in the COV is now going to my renovation.

As the contractor said 大有大做,小有小做。 [ie. any renovation welcome! haha]

I was worried about my budget being too small too - I went "I don't want TV feature wall, don't want custom cabinet, don't want this, don't want that"....I thought the ID/contractors will start rolling their eyes and go 'don't renovate'....

Totally agree and now I am also thinking of excluding a lot carpentry works as I feel buying ready made is cheaper and I can always change if i don like the design anymore or want to change the theme.

Just curious how much does your hacking cost ?

Totally agree and now I am also thinking of excluding a lot carpentry works as I feel buying ready made is cheaper and I can always change if i don like the design anymore or want to change the theme.

Just curious how much does your hacking cost ?

Just the hacking - about $2.5K for hacking all the floor and wall tiles in kitchen, service balcony, the 2 bathrooms. Plus 2 new entrances (one for Bedroom 2, one for the common bathroom)

The killer is actually all those cabinetry. Dismantling those built in cabinetry in all the rooms, bedroom frame, kitchen cabinets....cost me around $1.8K.

I think probably give and take ~there isn't a separate charge for hacking the concrete stove support in the service balcony and the concrete sink support in the kitchen....

Just the hacking - about $2.5K for hacking all the floor and wall tiles in kitchen, service balcony, the 2 bathrooms. Plus 2 new entrances (one for Bedroom 2, one for the common bathroom)

The killer is actually all those cabinetry. Dismantling those built in cabinetry in all the rooms, bedroom frame, kitchen cabinets....cost me around $1.8K.

I think probably give and take ~there isn't a separate charge for hacking the concrete stove support in the service balcony and the concrete sink support in the kitchen....

I see.

Thanks for the information.

The contractor I've engaged isn't any of the popular ones being discussed in Renotalk. He renovated auntie's friend's place (ok...far enough association yet?).

Mom wanted to renovate her 20 year old kitchen and hence went asking around...haha....Mom's kitchen is done already, while mine just started...

Stuff I am doing, quoted $30K for these :

Final Bill : $32,050

1. Kitchen :

a. Hack existing floor and wall tiles

b. Dismantle existing kitchen cabinet.

c. Supply and lay full height wall tiles

d. Supply and lay floor tiles + waterproofing

e. Construct sink & stove support (concrete/hollow block) with tiles finishing

f. Doors for sink/stove support

g. Lower cabinets 5.5 ft

e. Top cabinets about 10ft. [not done]

h. One full height cabinet about 2.5 ft.

i. iQuartz countertop.

j. New stainless steel pipe for kitchen, new outlet pipe for kitchen & washing machine

k. construct wall with tiles finishing between kitchen/living room.

l. Box up gas pipe at kitchen

2. Service Balcony :

a. Hack existing stove and sink support in kitchen/service balcony.

b. Hack existing floor and wall tiles

e. Construct washing machine base

f. Hack new entrance for common bathroom

g. Patch up wall and floor after open new bathroom entrance

h.Supply and install sliding window

i. Supply and install small window

j. Supply and install tempered glass between kitchen and service yard.

3. Bathroom x 2 :

a. Hack existing floor and wall tiles

b. Dismantle existing WC, pipes,wash basins, toilet doors

e. Seal up existing entrance with hollow block. (common bathroom only)

f. Labour to install WC, sink, instant water heater, bathroom accessories

g. Construct shower kerb

h. Supply and install tempered glass shower screen (MBR bathroom only)

i. Construct concrete shower bench with tiles finish (MBR bathroom only)

j. Supply and install stainless steel pipes

k. Supply and install aluminium bi-fold door

l. Supply and install Louvre windows

4. Bedrooms :

a. Dismantle existing cabinets - full height wardrobe/bedroom frame at MBR, BR2 and BR3.

b. Construct hollow block wall for storeroom

c. Hack new entrance for BR2

d. new classic door + door frame for storeroom

e. patch damaged flooring [due to the hacking done] with marble tiles

f. supply and install solid timber door at MBR

g. Supply and install simple cornices

h. Supply and lay marble skirting for the new storeroom wall / BR2. [FOC]

5. Others :

a. Supply and install window aluminium grilles for living, all bedrooms, service balcony

b. Supply and install wrought iron main gates

c. Polish marble flooring

d. Seal PLC downlight hole

e. Supply and install new downlight point for dining hall [i bought the downlights]

f. Supply and install new casing, socket and switches for kitchen + 2 bathrooms+ living room and all bedrooms.

g. Painting wall + ceiling

h. Supply and lay window sticker film for all bedroom and living/dining hall

i. Supply and install handle for top hung window

j. Installation of 2 ceiling fans

k. installation of curtain tracks [FOC]

l. Supply and install 2 downlights [FOC]

6. Misc:

a. Acid wash

b. Haulage fees for delivery of raw material to unit

Edited by koori

Add ons! More money flying ~ sad... :~

Just got call from contractor. Will go unit to verify later.

I didn't check the service balcony / bedroom/bathrom windows at all during my visits to the unit before. Not that I can do much about it...maybe depress the COV more? :notti:

1. Windows in service balcony are rusty, one of the sliding tracks is faulty....better change since I'm already doing reno

2. Windows in MBR - again rusty.

3. Windows in both bathrooms - there are wired glass panels and the wires inside the glass are rusted. So I will see new wall tiles, rusty windows in both bathrooms if I don't change them. :angry2:

4. The false ceiling in the bedrooms - need to saw off the protruding bit and extend or something. I don't quite understand it, tearing it down apparently takes more effort than sawing it off and extending....maybe because of the area covered. the entire ceiling except for the areas previously occupied by the cabinets is with false ceiling.

Add ons! More money flying ~ sad... :~

Just got call from contractor. Will go unit to verify later.

I didn't check the service balcony / bedroom/bathrom windows at all during my visits to the unit before. Not that I can do much about it...maybe depress the COV more? :notti:

1. Windows in service balcony are rusty, one of the sliding tracks is faulty....better change since I'm already doing reno

2. Windows in MBR - again rusty.

3. Windows in both bathrooms - there are wired glass panels and the wires inside the glass are rusted. So I will see new wall tiles, rusty windows in both bathrooms if I don't change them. :angry2:

4. The false ceiling in the bedrooms - need to saw off the protruding bit and extend or something. I don't quite understand it, tearing it down apparently takes more effort than sawing it off and extending....maybe because of the area covered. the entire ceiling except for the areas previously occupied by the cabinets is with false ceiling.

For resale flat, its like that one. i also kenna. there's 1 false wall and 1 build-in wardrobe that was later discovered need to be dismantled and disposed, and the ID quoted me $400 to dismantle it (as its not in the initial quotation :deal: ). I managed to save $200 by dismantling the false wall myself (you can check my T-blog) but not for the build-in wardrobe. Then later when the contractor removed the old L-box and false ceiling, they "strongly encouraged" to plaster the ceiling as its not smooth. :wacko:

Edited by claypot

For resale flat, its like that one. i also kenna. there's 1 false wall and 1 build-in wardrobe that was later discovered need to be dismantled and disposed, and the ID quoted me $400 to dismantle it (as its not in the initial quotation :deal: ). I managed to save $200 by dismantling the false wall myself (you can check my T-blog) but not for the build-in wardrobe. Then later when the contractor removed the old L-box and false ceiling, they "strongly encouraged" to plaster the ceiling as its not smooth. :wacko:

Yah. I did see on your t-blog you 'crow-barred' the fake wall down....haha....I wish there was an easy way out for the fake ceiling...LOL. haven't discussed prices, but lets see what I get charged before I start to bargain.

I actually have 2 'fake' walls too. One in the living room, one in the bedroom. The problem for mine is that I'm keeping the flooring, the skirting will be damaged if I dismantle the fake walls. So I ended up keeping both of them.

For the bedroom, additional consideration -> based on the floor plan, there is a protruding pillar behind the fake wall.

Although I'm not really believing in fengshui, the contractor said since 'everyone' says should not place bed with sharp corners/beam 'cutting' across the bed, so should just follow. Kept the wall so that the beam is hidden and flush with the fake wall.