Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
breakster

Bmc's 簡約溫馨工業風 @ Montreal Dale

Hi Hi

Just some small intro and we'll keep things rollin as soon as i start my reno! Waited for 4 long years from the option date and its finally ready for me to zheng the house.

Without RT i will not have learn and know all the cool places and know what to look out for when renovating. THANK YOU RT and all the bloggers here!! :jammin:

Me (Bento) and wife (Meow) my little baby girl (Cutiepie) will be the residents. :good:

Of cos must show the floor plan so here it is...does it look similar? hahaha

gallery_58489_285_17216.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I've some posts ready in my RT blog but somehow i dun really like it...not much action there...i prefer T-blog...not sure is there any difference between the two...also i can't seem to remove the watermark in the album although i've unchecked the option from the admin...

some reference design...alot are sourced from searchome.net and www.decoplus.com.tw

i really like styles from taiwan maybe because i am a big fanz the country? oh yes...the food..the people...the 歡迎光臨, the streets, the mountains, the 花莲 coastline....yes...就是愛台灣啦!

the renovation scene in taiwan is kinda thriving...they have dedicated reno programs on tv and designers speak about how they magically transform the houses...definitely more freeplay not like the layout of our BTO...so standard...so ugly...think put a few color tiles in the toilet is pretty...pls la hdb...mai kei kiang leh...

some style that i like...think can be applied to hdb also hor?

gallery_58489_285_15640.jpg

gallery_58489_285_93056.jpg

gallery_58489_285_4297.jpg

gallery_58489_285_5496.jpg

Started to slowly source for ID around Sep last year...Made three blast of quotation request to reno_nation, renotalk and renoquotes.....kinda regret cos my phone started flooding with unknown numbers....pls stop alry...made me realise there are many ID firms in the market all hungry to get your business...probably close to a thousand of them?

Nonetheless...its quite impossible for me to go to each and every ID's office (mon - fri got work leh + visit kid over at MIL's place aft work)....(sat - sun take care of kid so in law can rest) so i requested them to head over to MIL's place at night instead which most are willing to do so...

List of IDs and contractor i've the pleasure of speaking with :D and repeating the same thing :~ over the past few months...there are alot more contacts received from the three blast but i narrowed my selections to these few...

1. Urban Design (爱与狠...)
2. Carpenters (new bird id...quotation acceptable....visited my site and we ponder very long over the utility box area how to make it sweeee...still waiting for revised quotation which never came)
3. Omus Living (never provide quotation....maybe he dun like me)
4. Creaction (slow...need to sent reminder for quotation....end up quotation is a mess and rocket price)
5. Contractor / friend's recommendation can't remember his co's name (experienced! the know how type. I like his explanations and was looking forward to his quote....but maybe he dun like me also)
6. IDcube (brought his intern along for meeting...experienced and know how...quotation within expectation! but problem is he might let his intern take over when the actual work starts)
7. The80'sStudio (senior....brought his supplier girlfriend along...haha...wife was impressed with him...fixed a date to visit his office...but end up he postponed the appointment and thereafter no news...maybe he decided he dun like me)
8. NID design studio (very very nice guy...experienced...well organised...quotation is kinda ex i think...but i like him..)
9. Posh Home (只有爱...after the steady promo from tblogger leonjennawong....quotation steady...Italy tiles somemore)

Tips:
#1 find a ID with car...can pick u up and drive you go jiak hong
#2 try not to blast request for quotation with numerous sites at the same time unless u can stand the influx of calls and emails...maybe one site at a time?
#3 always ask the ID to go over to your place instead...haha...save on transport
#4 find ID who is a local or one who stays in singapore...some of the IDs are from malaysia and they travel back home every night then u might start to wonder why your sms doesn't work
#5 find out if the ID draws a basic pay or just commission or both. Stay away from those just on commission cos they will be busy hunting for contracts whereas one with a basic can actually slow things down and be more prudent with your project
Edited by breakster

Hi breakster,

Welcome to the family of renotalk t-bloggers!

Let me guess.. your theme will go more TW style? :lol:

Hi @guojiawen @songz thanks for the welcome!

Yes actually singapore and taiwan have a lot of similarities in design...but it come across to me that they have a lot of carpentry work putting focus on storage. Maybe their carpentry work is cheaper.

I will only be doing wardrobe for MBR and kitchen cabinets with inner coloured pvc. The other two rooms will be for cutiepie and maybe my study room...not gonna have any customised cabinets for these two rooms..

No false ceilings or covelights. Wife say why build home for lizard...keke...also its too low for my liking...so the only way is the old skool pvc or metal pipes for the lighting points and fans. Or you can hack the ceiling...illegal...haha...i like ceiling fan where the air circulation is better, so my ID will need to plan properly how the fan and lights sits together...wife doesnt like fan that comes with lights so its a big challenge.

Toilet and kitchen will be overlayed...if hdb provide all whites tiles i may just accept it...but the current tiles i don't approve!! ugly!

I did not opt in for the hdb floor and door...hdb should allow us to opt out for the toilet and kitchen tiles as well...

so the majority of our cost will be on the flooring and overlay of the toilets + cabinets and hacking of the kitchen wall.

Next post i will list down the things that i've bought for the house.

:)

hi there, what are the disadvantages of overlaying the toilets? My ID suggested that to help me save cost, but I am not sure if this is good in the long run for a resale flat of 6 years

Hi bianzi,

Dun really think there is any disadvantages of overlaying, to me it is just to cover the original tiles since i can't hack it as it is under warranty from the HDB. For resale old flats there could be leakage problem which requires waterproofing. But your resale flat is only 6 years to me it is relatively new. Yes overlaying could cut cost for your case since you save on hacking the tiles but...overlay on top of the existing tiles maybe kinda 'risky' since the new tiles is sitting on top of the original tiles and bonded only via cement? Not too sure what is use to bond the new and old tiles together, i do hop the new tiles won't pop out if there is any knocking on the wall. So to me i would rather hack everything and get the ID to waterproof it if necessary and then lay the new tiles. Perfect.

Hacking one toilet could cost between $250 to $500 maybe?

Hello everybody,

I've signed up with posh home calvin+ephron (gonna refer them as the C+E tag team).

My reno start date by FSM is march 7 or 8. And after that everything is fast and furious. Ephron was so fast in carrying out reno works, permit...tiles selection, haulage...laying of tiles...overlay of toilets...and you know the best part? I haven't went up to my unit even once since they started work. All we did was communicate thru watsapp and sending reference pics...i trust them so much that i can sit back and relax...

Here's some of the pics ephron took for me...

kitchen wall tiles. Original tiles i choose was 600x300 but after some discussion and a few reference pics...Calvin advise me to use small tiles with black gout lines around 2mm width. According to him these are old hdb tiles nobody wants...guess i can have it for free then...haha

gallery_58489_285_52998.jpg

Living room. off white matte tiles. So to get that little industrial look i guess i need to play with the wall colours. No false ceiling or L-box or cove lights...just the normal pvc tube for lighting points.

gallery_58489_285_15962.jpg

This one should be common toilet if i am not wrong. Waiting for the floor tiles to be up.

gallery_58489_285_16264.jpg

This is how we communicate....keeping my fingers crossed i dun get a shock when i make my first visit to the unit...hahahah

gallery_58489_285_84982.jpg

Edited by breakster

• Like 1

Here are the items that i've bought so far...

Model: Samsung bottom freezer RL4013

Paid: $1049 WGST

Where: Gain City

Promo: $688 voucher + vacuum + $50 NTUC voucher

gallery_58489_285_11338.jpg

Model: Samsung WD0804

Paid: $300 WGST (original $999, $688 voucher rebate + discount from dennis)

Where: Mega Discount

Promo: vacuum

gallery_58489_285_55372.jpg

Model: Samsung LED UA-55F8000

Paid: $3299 WGST

Where: Mega Discount

Promo: $1000 cashback

gallery_58489_285_23742.jpg

Model: Toshiba System 4 Inverter

Paid: $4299

Where: Hong Huat Electrical Pte Ltd

Promo: 1 time free general servicing for 4 wall mounted aircon unit worth $140, free 2 trips Installation, upgrade to Armaflex Half Inch Thick Insulation, G23 Copper Pipe, 16mm Drainage, Singapore Made Premium Grade Control Wiring Cable and free liaising with ID

As you can see now i got two vacuums on hand which you have to make a trip down to The Verge at little india to redeem. I asked dennis from MD why Samsung giving out so many freebies ah?...he said "its like tat one la"...i don't know what it means...haha....i made a remark saying i don't need so many vacuum leh. He said "no problem, we can take in each vacuum for $50". Woah! very flexible they all...I think i will sell them the two suckers and then purchase a Karcher steam vacuum from MD.

Edited by breakster

fantastic buy of electrical appliances :good: . thought the samsung $688 was long over in end-Jan2014? how did you manage to still get the promo?

Started to slowly source for ID around Sep last year...Made three blast of quotation request to reno_nation, renotalk and renoquotes.....kinda regret cos my phone started flooding with unknown numbers....pls stop alry...made me realise there are many ID firms in the market all hungry to get your business...probably close to a thousand of them?

Nonetheless...its quite impossible for me to go to each and every ID's office (mon - fri got work leh + visit kid over at MIL's place aft work)....(sat - sun take care of kid so in law can rest) so i requested them to head over to MIL's place at night instead which most are willing to do so...

List of IDs and contractor i've the pleasure of speaking with :D and repeating the same thing :~ over the past few months...there are alot more contacts received from the three blast but i narrowed my selections to these few...

1. Urban Design (爱与狠...)

2. Carpenters (new bird id...quotation acceptable....visited my site and we ponder very long over the utility box area how to make it sweeee...still waiting for revised quotation which never came)

3. Omus Living (never provide quotation....maybe he dun like me)

4. Creaction (slow...need to sent reminder for quotation....end up quotation is a mess and rocket price)

5. Contractor / friend's recommendation can't remember his co's name (experienced! the know how type. I like his explanations and was looking forward to his quote....but maybe he dun like me also)

6. IDcube (brought his intern along for meeting...experienced and know how...quotation within expectation! but problem is he might let his intern take over when the actual work starts)

7. The80'sStudio (senior....brought his supplier girlfriend along...haha...wife was impressed with him...fixed a date to visit his office...but end up he postponed the appointment and thereafter no news...maybe he decided he dun like me)

8. NID design studio (very very nice guy...experienced...well organised...quotation is kinda ex i think...but i like him..)

9. Posh Home (只有爱...after the steady promo from tblogger leonjennawong....quotation steady...Italy tiles somemore)

Tips:

#1 find a ID with car...can pick u up and drive you go jiak hong

#2 try not to blast request for quotation with numerous sites at the same time unless u can stand the influx of calls and emails...maybe one site at a time?

#3 always ask the ID to go over to your place instead...haha...save on transport

#4 find ID who is a local or one who stays in singapore...some of the IDs are from malaysia and they travel back home every night then u might start to wonder why your sms doesn't work

#5 find out if the ID draws a basic pay or just commission or both. Stay away from those just on commission cos they will be busy hunting for contracts whereas one with a basic can actually slow things down and be more prudent with your project

Congrats on starting your t-blog, I love how taiwanese design their flats too! And your wife speaks the same as Mr Hojicha, he also say why build false ceiling, they are homes for lizards and other pests.. haha! And I gotta agree with your comments on HDB tiles, that's why we opted out too, and chose to overlay bathrooms as well! If only we can opt out kitchen and bathroom tiles.. hehehee...

Just a note about The80'sStudio if anyone is interested, I don't think he doesn't like you la, but he is like that to any customer? Ha.. we went to their office twice to discuss the designs we wanted, but being an interior designer, he wasn't too receptive on our ideas, and insisted on his designs. On our second meet-up where he gave us his quotation, it was quite acceptable tho, but then I noticed this senior designer kept pushing us to sign on the spot, which we didn't want to, because I still needed further clarifications on his quotation, I emailed him to ask him some questions on how the cost was calculated and how are certain things going to be done, he did not reply me at all. I thought probably he is busy and never check email frequently, so I specially text him to ask him check email, he said he will check and reply me. But no replies at all.. until MONTHS later, where I already started my renovation with K, I received a missed call from this senior designer from The80'sStudio. ~_~ Speechless.