Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

We decided to fix up ceiling fans for the living room and three bedrooms. For the bedrooms, we are installing a single-row light box as well, so space is limited and we are constrained to ceiling fans that are 46 inches and smaller.

Initially, we were gunning for the white KDK baby fans at 44 inches each, but shops have been telling us that this model is phased out in Singapore. We don't have a car so shopping in JB is out, even though I've read on renotalk that the fans are still available there.

After days of fan shopping, we decided on the Acorn Ventilateur 203 42" in white for each of the bedrooms.

13513427344_f7f5bdfd62.jpg

For the living room, we went for a Crestar Twin Air 48" in matte black. Wanted a Haiku, but no $$$. So set my sights on a Relite Petite, but shops keep telling me that Relite fans are no longer as good as they used to be. I gave in and got a five-bladed fan instead of my ideal three-bladed one, but I refused to budge on the matte black, so there.

13513427144_40162a8d59.jpg

Lights shopping is my LEAST favourite part of the renovation process so far. We planned to get:

- 6 LED down lights for living room

- 7 LED down lights for bedrooms

- 2 tracks + 8 LED track lights for living room and corridor

- 1 LED ceiling light for kitchen

- 1 LED ceiling light for balcony

- 4 ceiling lights for the bathrooms, service balcony and household shelter

After visiting a few light shops, I gave up and threw this part of the reno to the husband. Initially, we intended to get only tracks and track lights from Tao Bao, but I think the physical shopping got to him too, and he decided that we will get EVERYTHING from Tao Bao.

We are getting Philips lights for all of the above, except track lights (no brand). Total cost came up to about $900 including shipping and agent fees (we added in a couple of extra down lights and track lights, just in case). We are using 65daigou. We were quoted about $1.8k for the same items at lightings.com.sg, which I already thought was quite reasonable?

I think it's quite a big risk, given that we have never ordered anything from Tao Bao before this. Package has been shipped from China and will reach SG in 12-16 working days. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!

We are getting Philips lights for all of the above, except track lights (no brand). Total cost came up to about $900 including shipping and agent fees (we added in a couple of extra down lights and track lights, just in case). We are using 65daigou. We were quoted about $1.8k for the same items at lightings.com.sg, which I already thought was quite reasonable?

I think it's quite a big risk, given that we have never ordered anything from Tao Bao before this. Package has been shipped from China and will reach SG in 12-16 working days. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!

Definitively there are risks but I feel more on the shipping for fragile items. If you are buying from Tmall, should be safer, Tmall are more premium sellers.

Anyway, I believe China is currently supplying more than 50% of the world's lighting, so you can run but you can never hide.

So how much is 65daigou charging for the fees and freight?

Definitively there are risks but I feel more on the shipping for fragile items. If you are buying from Tmall, should be safer, Tmall are more premium sellers.

Anyway, I believe China is currently supplying more than 50% of the world's lighting, so you can run but you can never hide.

So how much is 65daigou charging for the fees and freight?

Yup! We mostly bought from Tmall merchants. :)

Total chargeable weight is 29.99kg. Shipping fee (sea freight) is $105, agent fee is $65.94. We will be opting for home delivery, which is another $8.

Hi lemoncandy,

Is your BTO in the West area? It looks so similar to mine!

As for the power points in bathroom, it's actually illegal in Singapore. Spoke to an ID and they told me but good news is most of them are still willing to do it.

Agree with OceanEleven most lightings are Made in China. Went to lots of lighting shop, flip over you see "Made in China", so Tao Bao is a good alternative, i will be also getting most of my lights in Taobao as i need 34 x LED downlights, 23 x T5 whole house. If i buy locally, my wallet will tear big time. (See my signature quote?)

Hi lemoncandy,

Is your BTO in the West area? It looks so similar to mine!

As for the power points in bathroom, it's actually illegal in Singapore. Spoke to an ID and they told me but good news is most of them are still willing to do it.

Hello Takopachi!

Yup it's in the west. are you a neighbour? haha. alright i shall check with the electrician then... hopefully he's willing to do it for me too. :D

• Like 1

Agree with OceanEleven most lightings are Made in China. Went to lots of lighting shop, flip over you see "Made in China", so Tao Bao is a good alternative, i will be also getting most of my lights in Taobao as i need 34 x LED downlights, 23 x T5 whole house. If i buy locally, my wallet will tear big time. (See my signature quote?)

hahaha your signature made me laugh. but yes, agree! :sport-smiley-018:

• Like 1

Hello Takopachi!

Yup it's in the west. are you a neighbour? haha. alright i shall check with the electrician then... hopefully he's willing to do it for me too. :D

I think we might be neighbours! :) Cool!

• Like 1

LoL ~~~

What a signature ! :good:

• Like 1

Here's the lighting plan that was discussed with our contractor:

13552559613_db71c29a83.jpg

My initial thoughts were to have another row of track lights outside the kitchen, instead of the current false ceiling with two down lights. but due to the unique nature of our self-designed shoe cabinet/divider (the husband designed it!), the contractor suggested using false ceiling to stabilise it.

No 3D drawings to visualise this... but the husband and i (renovation noobs) decided to trust the contractor. We'll see how it turns out after carpentry is in then :sport-smiley-018: