Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
northhaven

From House To Home

Hi Everyone,

I chanced upon Renotalk when I was scouting to buy a flat and since then have been faithfully following the forum. I wasn't in a rush to move in and decided to take my time in looking for a ID/Contractor. Met up with the legendery Mr K and Alan and also contacted a few new start-up ID firms. Being a single female owner, it can be an overwhelming exercise. I was lucky to meet up with my current ID, Foo from Custombox, an earnest young man who is open to ideas and importantly patient with first-time home owners like me. So far the process has been smooth and I'm looking forward to the end result.

I had a penchant for mid-century modern design with a bit of scandinavian influence. I love things with a bit of history but didn't want my home to look like a museum:) Right now, design plans are still fluid but with a few key ideas set.

Will try to post up floorplan next.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Thanks for the welcome Troublemaker!

Yes the layout is different from usual 4-room and one of the reasons why I like it. Unfortunately I can't do a open concept kitchen as I can't hack the bomb shelter wall. In a way it help to save some $ since hacking is expensive :D

A draft layout of renovation works to be done. As the previous owner had quite a bit of built in capentry so spent quite a bit on hacking them away to create more open space. For the rooms, I'm hacking down wall combining MBR and BR2. BR3 will be reserved as a spare room for when parents come stay over.

As the bomb shelter door is visible upon entering the house, have asked Foo creatively how to "cover" it. This is one wall which I'm excited what will be the final outcome.

Home Layout

Sorry if picture is small..am still figuring out how to post pictures here.

Built in cabinets are a headache to new owners if they do not like it and they will have to spend more money to hack it away. That's the reason why I chose my flat as the previous owner did not have any built in cabinets at all.

As for the bomb shelter door, since the door and handle are already that visible, maybe you can make that a feature? Paint the door with chalkboard paint and so you can doodle on it? I think some forumners did that and I like that effect! :good:

Thanks Charis! Hope your renovation is coming along fine too!

While sorting through the pictures I taken earlier, here's a mood board of the look and feel I'm going for:

Walls

Living room walls will be mostly white to brighten up the place. Am toying with thoughts of doing a brickwall which is so popular these days. Will have some time to think through if decide to go ahead with it or not.

Colour Scheme

White walls, light ash colour vinyl flooring (doing overlay), grey tones with accents of black lines (in door frames). Will try to jazz up the place and add in pop of colour in small decorative pieces.

Picture3

Picture2

Picture1

Edited by northhaven

Welcome to RT.

Agree that Mr Foo is very easy going.

Wish you a smooth Reno.

Hope to see more updates soon.

Hi Songz,

Thanks for the welcome! I see that you've also met up with Foo. Have you decided your ID yet?

Am looking forward to learn from fellow forummers who are much experienced than I am :)