Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zooballie

Best Time To Buy Furniture

Is there a best time to buy furniture such as sofa, dining chairs and mattresses?

One shopkeeper told me GSS is a good time for her shop, as there will be huge discounts. I'm wondering if this is true generally across furniture shops?

However, will there be disadvantages buying during GSS? Eg limited varieties?

Will appreciate your input. I'm likely to move only early-next year, but I'm thinking whether it is a good idea to buy in advance this May/June if it is more worthwhile doing so

TIA!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

ehhhhhhh.... just remember. When you buy sofa / dining chair, do check if it is PU leather. if it is, don bother to buy. The lifespan of PU leather is around 9-18 months from the Date of manufacturing. After which, it will flake

• Like 1

Anytime is a good time to buy furniture. Just remember that some companies may need 3-4 months to deliver a sofa that is indented from Italy.

When you buy furniture, the most important thing is never to pay in full. Just pay partial deposit. If the shop does not allow you to pay deposit, I'd walk away. Too many scary cases of furniture shops winding up suddenly and the customers are left with no recourse. Good luck and have fun furniture shopping.

the best time to buy furniture i would think its the earlier the better.

(however it still depends on a number of factor)

generally prices are going up across the board, from mattress to sofas to wardrobe etc. (most things in singapore the prices are gng up)

though i think we do not need to go into details and discussion of why they are going up.

assuming the sellers are looking at a same amount of profit, if the cost is going up i see no reason the selling will be going down, unless maybe clear stock or new model coming in etc?

so maybe there is not really a best time, but a time and shop and salesperson you are comfortable with.

Furniture is the most important thing in any house and office. Everybody like strong and cheap furniture for his home. If you want to best furnirture for your home, please visit at unique home furnishing store in Singapore.

Edited by davidbarron

It's always safer to shop earlier as most retailers do not keep much stock in their inventory and shipments can take up to a month or two.

Most stores have already started their Great Singapore Sale 2014 early already! :)

i just bought mattress during taka member sale, i can't rave enough !!

i had the taka dbs card sitting in my card forever, finally had the chance to use it for big purchases, i got 10% off and a 6% taka voucher! very happy with it!

the salesperson told me taka sale is usually in may, oct, dec and jan :)

Edited by rubypumps

Thanks, all, for your input. I hv started looking around at potential buys. With the kids around though, progress is slow. Looks like most of my purchases will take place towards year-end. Hopefully prices won't be much higher compared to now

One question regarding mattresses. Is it better (in terms of prices and after-sales service) to buy from department stores like Robinsons/Takashimaya or from Simmons/Sealy/Serta galleries at, say, Marina Square, IMM, etc?

I understand that different models are sold at different places, but if we compare between models of similar specs, is there any major difference in prices at the department stores and galleries? Thanks

How can we tell if the sofa is PU leather or real leather? Everyone seems to tell us is real leather... was talking to one shop in IFC & he ("designer of sofa") told me the one we preferred from another shop is not leather at all .. but the lady in that shop told us is leather ... :dunno:

Some pointers to share after months of searching for furniture:

1. Only believe 50% of everything a sales person tells you. If a shop tells you they have their own factory in Sg/Malaysia, and can customize anything you want, ask them for the factory name and address. Specific address, not general location like Sungei Kadut or Kedah etc. Chances are they are lying and will not give you. It is unlikely a small furniture shop can have enough volume to sustain their own factory. Think about what you are asking them to customize. It is easy to simply choose the color of the leather/fabric for your sofa, but a lot more work to customize length, height, which require redesigning the frame structure.

2. If a sales person tells you to put deposit to lock in the price in case of fluctuations, if you ever feel pressured to confirm and pay, especially when you say you need to shop around, walk out immediately. Don't fall for the "Special Holidays promotion, until this weekend only" or "prices may go up next month because of xxx" line.

3. Don't make payment on the first visit to the shop, no matter how good the price is and how much you like the furniture. Get a name card, make them write down the article and price, customization to make, etc including GST and delivery. If they refuse to provide everything in writing, forget about it. Go back and do your research on the shop. If you think the shop is ok, then go back with the written price. If they do not honor the price, then forget it.

4. Always ask and pay what is the minimum deposit needed. Never pay in full "to earn credit card points" like the sales person will tell you to. The points earned will not be worth the potential headache later. Even for big companies like Gain City, I will pay with CC but keep a balance of few hundred dollars and pay COD.

Edited by Garrison

1. Only believe 50% of everything a sales person tells you. If a shop tells you they have their own factory in Sg/Malaysia, and can customize anything you want, ask them for the factory name and address. Specific address, not general location like Sungei Kadut or Kedah etc. Chances are they are lying and will not give you. It is unlikely a small furniture shop can have enough volume to sustain their own factory. Think about what you are asking them to customize. It is easy to simply choose the color of the leather/fabric for your sofa, but a lot more work to customize length, height, which require redesigning the frame structure.

2. If a sales person tells you to put deposit to lock in the price in case of fluctuations, if you ever feel pressured to confirm and pay, especially when you say you need to shop around, walk out immediately. Don't fall for the "Special Holidays promotion, until this weekend only" or "prices may go up next month because of xxx" line.

3. Don't make payment on the first visit to the shop, no matter how good the price is and how much you like the furniture. Get a name card, make them write down the article and price, customization to make, etc including GST and delivery. If they refuse to provide everything in writing, forget about it. Go back and do your research on the shop. If you think the shop is ok, then go back with the written price. If they do not honor the price, then forget it.

4. Always ask and pay what is the minimum deposit needed. Never pay in full "to earn credit card points" like the sales person will tell you to. The points earned will not be worth the potential headache later. Even for big companies like Gain City, I will pay with CC but keep a balance of few hundred dollars and pay COD.

To add to this post. Given that quite a few of the smaller furniture stores have closed down leaving customers high and dry, I suggest that consumers ask for the company registration number. The first 4 digits will show the year the company was founded. Try not to buy from companies that are less than 3 years old.

Very good pointers! We especially like No. 3. Furniture should never be an impulse buy.

Another point we should add is that you should always research what type of raw materials are they using. Most furniture shops would easily say, solid wood or high density foam. You need to ask what type of wood (Solid Pine Wood vs Solid Birch Wood) or the density of the foam (42kg/cbm or 20kg/cbm).

We can also save money through using cash back credit cards. For eg, cimb platinum mastercard offers 3.8% cash back for furniture while the UOB One Card also offers 3.33% cash back for everything spent (including furniture).