Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
quarkz

Steps To Selecting Id Or Contractor

Hi,

I need to do partial renovation for my resale flat. After reading thru this forum, I selected some IDs and contractors. I have met up with some and emailed all my floor plan and what I want to do briefly.

I'm now waiting for them to give me a quote.

So what's after this? I'll be getting my keys next month. Do I have to bring them to the house to see to get a more accurate quote?

Will I be getting a 3D drawing / picture etc from both contactor / id?

After I confirmed my ID / contractor, do I finalize the design and sign contract at this stage? Or select materials 1st?

What is the norm to the deposit / payment? What is the percentage to give at different stages of the renovation? Heard from many ppl that if given full amt too early, some ID / contractors may work slowly or even disappear....

Can it be discussed or each company got their own policy to follow?

Lastly, usually at which stage will I be told that the budget / quotation has increased?

Thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

You have no choice. Once you sign the agreement, your money is in the hand of ID. You cannot cancel the agreement but ID can cancel it. I have bad experience with the ID , AS Balestier. I signed the agreement with a deposit before I agree the quotation last year 2013. Today I have not received the quotation and layout I want. The ID is trying all ways to avoid me since I cannot take back the deposit anymore. FYI.

You have no choice. Once you sign the agreement, your money is in the hand of ID. You cannot cancel the agreement but ID can cancel it. I have bad experience with the ID , AS Balestier. I signed the agreement with a deposit before I agree the quotation last year 2013. Today I have not received the quotation and layout I want. The ID is trying all ways to avoid me since I cannot take back the deposit anymore. FYI.

Care to share which ID at Balestier location in which you had sign the agreement? I also had receieved an ID around Balestier so just want to confirm.

Inspire by d'trenzo in balestier is good.

The ID who we choose is Johnny . With many ideas and responsible, he did very well and we are happy with our house.

You can contact Johnny 81449299 to discuss futhur.

Hope i can help

most so-called interior designers may market themselves as upmarket solutions provider of house décor, designs and renovations but they actually provide very little value-added services. ie they are more worker than consultant/solutions provider. an example - I bought a resale condo and did not change the air con which was working well at the time of renovation. when the ID designed the false ceiling, they did not plan ahead for customer by leaving some more clearance space for new air con. considering newer aircon cooling unit are bigger in dimension than older aircons cooling unit.

another example of not value-adding is that they will always ask customers what they want to do specifically. but some customers only have a hazy idea of what they wanted and are in fact looking for ID who can value add by suggesting. it is hard for customers to tell specifically what they want when they have not lived in the renovated house yet.

• Like 1

Could you share with us which ID at Balestier so that we can be on guard.

most so-called interior designers may market themselves as upmarket solutions provider of house décor, designs and renovations but they actually provide very little value-added services. ie they are more worker than consultant/solutions provider. an example - I bought a resale condo and did not change the air con which was working well at the time of renovation. when the ID designed the false ceiling, they did not plan ahead for customer by leaving some more clearance space for new air con. considering newer aircon cooling unit are bigger in dimension than older aircons cooling unit.

another example of not value-adding is that they will always ask customers what they want to do specifically. but some customers only have a hazy idea of what they wanted and are in fact looking for ID who can value add by suggesting. it is hard for customers to tell specifically what they want when they have not lived in the renovated house yet.

I completely agree with you on your comments. Most IDs simply don't give or come out with ideas. They just ask from you what to do. They never are in a position to come out with innovative ideas or concepts.

Sharing my experiences in choosing IDs so far :

I uploaded my floor plan on Renotalk website and requested for quotations.

Initially, I was flooded with many calls from several IDs. Almost all of them AGAIN! asked me to send the floor plan to them, even though I uploaded the floor plan on the website in the first place. Also all the IDs wanted to meet me and see the site.

I asked all the IDs to drop me an email with their first quote based on the floor plan and my initial requirements for me to consider before I can meet them up. If not, I need to spend next many weeks just to meet them all! Surprisingly, most of the IDs never send me any email after the call. Only a handful few sent me emails some with standard package offers inspite of me mentioning what I wanted to do!

Few of them sent me intro email and after that no response!

I was impressed by Vincent Blog (http://www.vincentinteriorblog.com/) on his knowledge and advice to new home owners like me. I reached out to Vincent and sent him my floor plan and requested for quotations. (similar to Renotalk). I was recommended to 2 IDs by Vincent. Unfortunately AGAIN, no response by both the recommended IDs, inspite of me waiting for over 3 weeks for them to respond!

Looks like every ID in this business is very busy with loads of projects! Appears to me that ID business is a good business to be in!

If you go for a CASE TRUST accredited ID or renovator, you stand a better chance in case of any dispute.

If you go for a CASE TRUST accredited ID or renovator, you stand a better chance in case of any dispute.

The AS Balestier is Case Trust ID. So how to dispute?

While searching for some info on CASE and protecting from unscrupulous contractors, I stumbled upon this article on WHY Contractor Complaints are On the Rise in Singapore (And How to Protect Your Renovation):

http://blog.moneysmart.sg/property/why-contractors-complaints-are-on-the-rise-in-singapore-and-how-to-protect-your-renovation/

This article appeared in moneysmart.sg on January 17, 2013.

Hope this helps general public to know about the quantum of renovation contractor disputes and take necessary safeguards to protect themselves.

After all it's your home - you want enjoy living in it. If things go wrong in the beginning itself, it is sure going to leave a sour taste.

Any reliable contractors to recommend? Need a quote for reno a new hdb 4rm flat.

thanks

I am still in the process of shortlisting my Contractors/IDs.. Once the process is completed will share with you. In the meantime, read through the various posts and renovation t-blogs. You will find a plenty of info for you to choose contractors.