Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Xiej0007

Our Yishun Greenwalk 5-Room Simple Simple Reno Journey

Was leeching on Renotalk T-blog for finding IDs with good reviews, and finally it is our turn to contribute!

After pm-ing fellow T-bloggers for contacts of their respective ID (those with positive feedbacks), only 3 IDs were shortlisted as me and my wife are the "relax one corner" type and want the renovation process to be simple and fun.

All the 3 IDs we met indeed basically are very sincere as they spent 2 hours explaining to us how our ideas can be executed and what are the practical problems we may face if we want to do it that way. Below is the summary of our gut feel about the 3 IDs:

1) For all the 3 IDs, they are very sincere and keen especially so when they didn't even mention or prone us about our budget

2) They are confident about their own work as they are comfortable with bringing us to their projects which are currently under progress

2) First 2 IDs are older and seem more experience, with more sharing on the practical aspects of the renovation. The third ID is young but able to provide quite alot of design ideas.

3) First 2 IDs are able to provide detailed breakdown of the costing in their proposal while there is a "package" component in the quotation of the third ID (which places him at a dis-advantage position as me and my wife don't like to see "package" element in quotation)

4) Finally we shortlisted the first ID we met as he seems to be the "strongest" among 3 of them (gives a vibe that he can manage his sub-cons and workers well), he mentioned that his workmanship is dependent on the quality of his workers (being honest and aware of the importance of his workers score points on my side), his is a family business (means he got a reputation to keep and therefore will have quality control), good vibe and rapport during all the 3 appointments, providing competitive quotation (the other 2 quotations are around 5k higher).

In summary, we spent around 3 weekends before placing our trust and faith with the finalized ID on the dotted line.

Attached below is our original floorplan and our intended renovation. According to our friends, we like quite "stingy" to the ID as our carpentry is quite minimum... haha.. but me and my wife don't have much requirement and prefer mobile furniture than fixed carpentry.

The main feel we aim to have for our home is that of simple cosy feel complement with some "wood" furniture. The study area will be initially our "relax corner", where we can chill on cushions and bean bags, and watch korean drama on TV. Maybe when our future kids (aiming to have 3 or more haha...) become older, it can become a study area proper.

Will be using homogenous tiles for living room and passageway, vinyl flooring for the study area platform and bedrooms. Quite excited as we will be choosing flooring with our ID this sunday. Hopefully can snap some pictures and share over here after that. (Finger crossed that our innate lazy bugs wont creep in)

The problem we are facing now (as flagged by our friends) is that we have minimum storage space in our planning. Storage bedframe is out as I dont like to have things under my bed (due to a superstitious concern). Will need to devise solution for storage problem without compromising the "minimal simplicity" feel that we aim to have.

Anything I missed out in the floorplan, pls do share with us the noobies. Cheers!

gallery_59873_3_44160.jpg

gallery_59873_3_88050.jpg

• Like 2

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Welcome to RT!

I like your layout.. can have a proper dining area and save on feature wall for bomb shelter door. But the bomb shelter does take up space in the kitchen though.

Wishing you smooth reno ahead :)

Edited by guojiawen

• Like 1

Oh! Haha, Hope you manage to get a good rate!

Jason has been really good with my project so far. Hope yours will go super smoothly too :)

I'm going along the minimal theme as well, so not much storage space, banking on the bomb shelter as my storage area. I guess it will be do-able if we put in the effort to not buy too many redundant stuff home..

Was leeching on Renotalk T-blog for finding IDs with good reviews, and finally it is our turn to contribute!

After pm-ing fellow T-bloggers for contacts of their respective ID (those with positive feedbacks), only 3 IDs were shortlisted as me and my wife are the "relax one corner" type and want the renovation process to be simple and fun.

All the 3 IDs we met indeed basically are very sincere as they spent 2 hours explaining to us how our ideas can be executed and what are the practical problems we may face if we want to do it that way. Below is the summary of our gut feel about the 3 IDs:

1) For all the 3 IDs, they are very sincere and keen especially so when they didn't even mention or prone us about our budget

2) They are confident about their own work as they are comfortable with bringing us to their projects which are currently under progress

2) First 2 IDs are older and seem more experience, with more sharing on the practical aspects of the renovation. The third ID is young but able to provide quite alot of design ideas.

3) First 2 IDs are able to provide detailed breakdown of the costing in their proposal while there is a "package" component in the quotation of the third ID (which places him at a dis-advantage position as me and my wife don't like to see "package" element in quotation)

4) Finally we shortlisted the first ID we met as he seems to be the "strongest" among 3 of them (gives a vibe that he can manage his sub-cons and workers well), he mentioned that his workmanship is dependent on the quality of his workers (being honest and aware of the importance of his workers score points on my side), his is a family business (means he got a reputation to keep and therefore will have quality control), good vibe and rapport during all the 3 appointments, providing competitive quotation (the other 2 quotations are around 5k higher).

In summary, we spent around 3 weekends before placing our trust and faith with the finalized ID on the dotted line.

Attached below is our original floorplan and our intended renovation. According to our friends, we like quite "stingy" to the ID as our carpentry is quite minimum... haha.. but me and my wife don't have much requirement and prefer mobile furniture than fixed carpentry.

The main feel we aim to have for our home is that of simple cosy feel complement with some "wood" furniture. The study area will be initially our "relax corner", where we can chill on cushions and bean bags, and watch korean drama on TV. Maybe when our future kids (aiming to have 3 or more haha...) become older, it can become a study area proper.

Will be using homogenous tiles for living room and passageway, vinyl flooring for the study area platform and bedrooms. Quite excited as we will be choosing flooring with our ID this sunday. Hopefully can snap some pictures and share over here after that. (Finger crossed that our innate lazy bugs wont creep in)

The problem we are facing now (as flagged by our friends) is that we have minimum storage space in our planning. Storage bedframe is out as I dont like to have things under my bed (due to a superstitious concern). Will need to devise solution for storage problem without compromising the "minimal simplicity" feel that we aim to have.

Anything I missed out in the floorplan, pls do share with us the noobies. Cheers!

gallery_59873_3_44160.jpg

gallery_59873_3_88050.jpg

Hello fellow 5rm Greenwalker... 😉

Glad to see a post frm a 5rm owner frm the same area as my new home..

Anyway, I would love to get the contact details of the 3 iDs tt u visited... They sound "attractive" enough for me to approach... And if u have any 3D drawings to share, pls upload them quick so tt I can visualize for my hm deco ideas also... Hehehe...

By the way, have you started the reno yet..?

Hi Xiej0007 and enadee, another 5-rm Greenwalker here. I've also engaged Jason :) and of cos, thanks to guojiawen :)

Happy renovating!

So who's the lucky iD...?

Do PM me pls...

Maybe if i'm lucky, i can engage him too.... 😉

Oh! Haha, Hope you manage to get a good rate!

Jason has been really good with my project so far. Hope yours will go super smoothly too :)

I'm going along the minimal theme as well, so not much storage space, banking on the bomb shelter as my storage area. I guess it will be do-able if we put in the effort to not buy too many redundant stuff home..

So far so good. Hope your house turn out nicely too. Following you on your thread. :D

• Like 1

Hello fellow 5rm Greenwalker...

Glad to see a post frm a 5rm owner frm the same area as my new home..

Anyway, I would love to get the contact details of the 3 iDs tt u visited... They sound "attractive" enough for me to approach... And if u have any 3D drawings to share, pls upload them quick so tt I can visualize for my hm deco ideas also... Hehehe...

By the way, have you started the reno yet..?

Hi enadee, I've pm-ed you.

Have not collected my keys yet. Waiting for HDB. Hopefully can collect start June. Crossing my fingers about this. Trying to have almost whole reno done before Chinese seventh month. :)

Hey, I am your neighbour opposite the canal, riverwalk. Didn't know there is a stark difference in floorplan for a 5rm just opposite.

Visited riverwalk 5room once.

I thought the only difference was the entrance of the bomb shelter? For ours 5rm, our bomb shelter opens from the kitchen while for yours, it opens from the passage walkway. Other than this, I didn't realize any difference.

Time to update this thread. Been really busy recently.

Last weekend, went with ID to choose tiles for living room and toilet. Also, we chose the design for vinyl flooring for both our platform area and bedrooms. This must be done so that our 3d design can proceed.

So, here are the designs we chose:

gallery_59873_360_43292.jpg

tiles for toilet. Overlaying just the floor.

gallery_59873_360_5716.jpg

tiles for living room

gallery_59873_360_33834.jpg

vinyl flooring design for platform

gallery_59873_360_71389.jpg

vinyl flooring for bedrooms

Now waiting for 3d design. Once received, I will post some pictures again. :D

Next up is furniture hunting. Hoping to get cheap and suitable furniture.

Edited by Xiej0007